It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain underwater, thanks Obama. (aka Winter weather watch 2015)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

It's bloody gorgeous, if like me your door step is on the highest point in the city and there's no chance of the river getting that high (unless the ice caps melt, which, ya know...)...but I think about 500 or so got flooded out of their homes last night...so I contain my childish glee. It is beautiful though, it's a powerful river when not in flood. People are thronging the bridges taking photos, it's quite the spectacle, drawing the crowds, which is good for business...and recovery. We're somewhat used to it unlike some of the other places getting flooded.

Emergency services are hellishly busy, sirens are pretty constant. Lots of people having to work very hard when most of us are putting our feet up in the warm, enjoying the holidays. I hope things ease up soon for their sakes as well as those forced out their homes.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

You have until Wednesday sadly, that's the next bombardment....up here at least anyway.

You have my sympathy, we've endured it so far, all the best.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

My heart goes out to those making the best of a bad situation, I can't imagine what it must be like for some. I could stand at my doorstep and throw a pebble in the river, but it's not going to make it to me, I'm on the only high ground, all I am having to endure is the pissing news helicopter doing circles over me.

Best of luck to you, and keep you and your's safe.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: tempestking

ho well its onley a bit of rain and you have one or 2 rivers over flowing its not not that bad and if it was why are pepole still living next to rivers when they now that it keeps over flowing are they stupid and you are all the same when you have one or 2 flakes of snow as you all close ya shooles why dont you all grow a back bone and live with it or MOVE frome the rivers ......

I feel I have to come back to this post, I am sorry tempestking, but I hope you now realise, this isn't normal....it's never been this bad. Most rivers and lakes have measures in place to avoid this kind of thing, but this has been above and beyond.

I once thought like you...why build on flood planes, but this isn't flood planes, this is town centres, well away from what would be considered normal flooding.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Oh tell me about it, we've had all the major news companies (BBC, ITV etc) circling overhead like vultures.

To them it's just news....there was one BBC guy, I think he is called Mark Easton, I forget...he was the only one who actually bothered to come down and talk to the locals in 2009 and get an idea of what was actually going on.

Most of the news over the past few days has been mobile phone recordings off the locals, they [news companies] have no idea.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: tempestking
ho well its onley a bit of rain and you have one or 2 rivers over flowing its not not that bad and if it was why are pepole still living next to rivers when they now that it keeps over flowing are they stupid and you are all the same when you have one or 2 flakes of snow as you all close ya shooles why dont you all grow a back bone and live with it or MOVE frome the rivers ......

In some cases, yes, people have built on flood plains but in for the most part, these are towns that have stood in the same spot for nigh on 1,000 years. They were built away from the flood plains, for the most part. Historically they were built near rivers as a source of water, trade and livelihood. Floods like this are exceedingly rare.

I also think your flippant attitude of "it's only 1 or two rivers" stinks - it isn't "1 or 2 rivers", just look at the Environment Agency Map and say it's "just 1 or 2 rivers"... Most of the North of England and Wales have some kind of flood Warning in place.

Perhaps, before mouthing off like an idiot, you'd do some research on the subject matter first?

We'll leave the snow comments alone at the moment, but they are also petty and inaccurate.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

The Ouse isn't at 6 metres above normal, it was 5.07 metres as of about 3:15pm. The river banks are designed for 5.45 metres and have never been over topped since construction in 1983/84. The river is also currently not over the tops of these defences.

The problems in York are down to the river Foss barrier failing. This was down to an electrical fault at the barrier and it being Christmas, "allegedly" no engineers were immediately available. This led to the decision to leave the barrier open as this would at least allow the water to eventually drain into the Ouse.

The Foss is a small river. For a perspective of scale you can jump bank to bank on the far side of York. Because of planning decisions years ago it is effectively a moat most of the time and therefore defences are lower. Looking at the flooding in the centre, it is the Foss and not the Ouse that has caused the most damage.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Serious question. I see Camoron has sent in the troops to some areas. Anyone got any personal stories. Are the troops making a difference or is it as i suspect, all just for show.

The video i watched had four soldiers wading knee deep through a flooded street, talking and smiling a lot for the cameras.

I really feel for anyone to wake up to this. I you own property you can guarantee that overnight your house is now pretty much worthless. Someone might rent it, but no-one in their right mind would ever buy it.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
The Ouse isn't at 6 metres above normal, it was 5.07 metres as of about 3:15pm. The river banks are designed for 5.45 metres and have never been over topped since construction in 1983/84. The river is also currently not over the tops of these defences.

You're totally right, I had misread, it is that the new defences, built after the floods in 2000 that are 6 metres. The current level is 5.10 meters above normal, it is hoped that it won't go above the last highest of 5.45 meters...but I can assure you that both Foss and Ouse have broken their banks, as the photos that I posted, clearly demonstrate. I also, normally cannot see it from my door step, there usually being another road and buildings between it and me, and I am up river from where the Ouse meets the Foss.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Stop being the eternal cynic, Solo, for five minutes. If you got your head out of your rectum, you'd know perfectly well what the soldiers are being asked to do and yes, they do make a difference for those they help.

They've been helping evacuate people, help people get their belongings upstairs or onto a higher surface, place sandbags, construct temporary flood defences etc.

I don't think for a moment you'll bother to look and if you do you'll probably dismiss it anyway, but here is the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment Facebook page which shows exactly what they've been up too, with links.

Here is another link, from a left-wing rag as well that should help allay your "fears" that the Government is somehow deploying hundreds of soldiers to pose for the camera's....
edit on 27/12/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason
Could have at least kitted them out with Waders. Lowa boots and Gortex wont keep water out. Might be ok for the odd puddle jump and wet/damp conditions, but not really designed for full on immersion.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Don't worry, they'd only send northern regiments, it'd be cruel otherwise, we're practically amphibious due to prevailing conditions...and if you don't give us something to complain about, we'll only find something...

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Well more rain yet again today, started off nice and sunny this morning, thought I'd escaped the rain by visiting family in the Midlands but no, the cloud soon appeared and let loose. Conditions on the roads weren't the best and saw 4 too many crashed cars on my journey there & back, traffic on M6 was horrific too so ended up taking the minor roads on the way back

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I don't know how to say this without sounding ungrateful, because I am not, the lads and lasses have done a grand job......but the military? Really? It's mother nature, she's charging right for us!!! FIX BAYONETS!!!

We do need the extra help, but the way it is being worded.....?

We need engineers, there has to be a way to divert these flood waters.

Bloody government!

Sorry.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

We need engineers, there has to be a way to divert these flood waters.

You will need strong backs and equipment to carry out whatever the engineers come up with. As well as, possibly, help with evacuations.
edit on 12/27/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That's all the military are doing....coastguard work, evacuating people....which is good...don't get me wrong, but I honestly think their time would be better served strengthening the river banks.

ETA: One of the guys there has just said pretty much the same thing on ITV news!
edit on 27/12/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Perhaps the engineers have not determined exactly how to do that or if it would be helpful.

Maybe you should complain about them the engineers, not the aid that your military is providing. Tell me, are they actually carrying bayonets?
edit on 12/27/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

How can they strengthen the banks when they're already flooded and putting engineers there would only endanger their lives from being swept away in the deluge ?

The only thing they can do right now is evac and wait for the waters to receed then start planning how to prevent it in future

There's no quick fix solution for this

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   

They send in soldiers because it is a pool of people readily available and who will do what needs to be done.

Just because they're soldiers, doesn't mean they're one dimensional killing machines..

And they are sending Engineers, by the way. REME and the Royal Engineers are present as well. But you don't send Engineers in to help stack furniture on top of church pews...

EDIT: It's ironic though... if the Government didn't send in the Military, you'd all be moaning about how you've been "ignored"...
edit on 28/12/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Just about to say the same thing...

There is absolutely not point "strengthening the banks" (whatever that means... the water is several feet over the bank so making it "stronger" would do bugger all) while the flooding is underway.

That sort of work is for afterwards.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join