It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain underwater, thanks Obama. (aka Winter weather watch 2015)

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana
a reply to: beansidhe

I've been told that winter will be coming towards us next week...which with all this water still mounting up is not going to be anywhere near pretty.

Hope you and your's are staying safe.

Best.

What do you mean 'not going to be pretty'?

www.tarmachan.blogspot.co.uk...

scairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk...

ncairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk...

What exactly is not to be liked?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
In Preston, Lancs here, we've escaped most of it as we're the highest area but the Ribble finally flooded last week and must be at least 30 foot higher than normal - has been more of a trickle than river all year. Think it's been wet every day for nearly three months now. My house is on a hill and the usually 3 inch deep, two foot wide brook is around 20ft higher and the width of two football pitches.

Have family in Cumbria and seeing the state of the place has been crazy - yeah it floods every year in the usual places but I've never seen one like this before where it's a storm per week (usually windy second to last week of Nov, late Dec and a bit in Feb and that's it). Seeing the devestation to roads and farms of places I've been past daily for years is so much more mindblowing than seeing it on TV - took a few minutes of looking at the collapsed A roads to work out what I was seeing as so used to their just being a tiny beck/ditch to the east of the road.

Friends near Pendle hill have been cut off for a month or so now - the main road has been a 6ft deep river for most of the time.

Would usually be ice climbing in the lakes in blizzards at this time of year - first time I've ever been too scared to venture up as landslide risk is huge and still in shorts and t shirt when running.

The last 10 years of weather have certainly been odd in the North West but I never remember it being this bad and regular.
edit on 8-1-2016 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Glad you're ok, and agreed - it's the relentless nature of the rain that is so damaging. There's no respite from it.
It's freezing here tonight and loads of snow around Lanarkshire and Dumfries. Like Anaana said, I think you'll be seeing it soon too.

I cannot remember any time in my life when Aberdeenshire flooded this badly, and I grew up there. It has been odd weather for the time of year but if up here is anything to go by, that's all about to change.

a reply to: apex

Absolutely beautiful.

edit on 8-1-2016 by beansidhe because: double pic

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

It's freezing here tonight and loads of snow around Lanarkshire and Dumfries. Like Anaana said, I think you'll be seeing it soon too.

Damn it, I misread that on the initial skim and thought you were saying I would be getting some snow soon...alas, it is not to be...whatever we get is likely to rapidly become brown mush.

Me sad, want snow

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: apex

originally posted by: Anaana
a reply to: beansidhe

I've been told that winter will be coming towards us next week...which with all this water still mounting up is not going to be anywhere near pretty.

Hope you and your's are staying safe.

Best.

What do you mean 'not going to be pretty'?

www.tarmachan.blogspot.co.uk...

scairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk...

ncairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk...

What exactly is not to be liked?

Absolutely nothing! I am sooo jealous. Our sledge didn't even get out the cupboard last year.

Enjoy (said with pet lipped begrudgement)!

ETA, forgot to mention, still raining pretty much every day here, river level stable but at a very high level still. Seems to be dragging on, and if we have snow melt to come down from the Dales, it's going to be fun and games.
edit on 12-1-2016 by Anaana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
After several whales beached themselves in random locations around the UK the past couple of days (Source) we are now about to be hit by storm Jonas (Jonah)......that's quite a strange occurrence!! lol.

More fun and games on the horizon

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

Me sad, want snow

There's plenty here. Come get it.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

I guess someone should perform necropsies to see what the whales have been eating.

edit on 1/26/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

link

from above:

HM Coastguard said two of the whales were found on a beach near Skegness at about 20:30 GMT on Saturday, while a third was discovered on Sunday morning.
The Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme will examine the bodies.
The pod was spotted off the Norfolk coast on Friday before the Hunstanton whale became stranded and died.

Sperm whales are deep sea animals and do not belong in the shallow waters of the North Sea.
He said: "Every year we get 600 strandings of cetaceans in the UK and a handful, about five or six a year, are sperm whales."

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

I don't think Phage was being serious.....I think he was just making a light joke towards my Jonah and the Whale reference, lol.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
There's plenty here. Come get it.

If I could, I would.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join