It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain underwater, thanks Obama. (aka Winter weather watch 2015)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
You are right though, the whole world is affected. I think with us though it's worse, being a small island with such a condensed population.

I don't think that it helps knowing that the island itself is slowly (very slowly) tipping eastward into the sea. That and the whole North-East coast being clothed in little more than loose rocks bound by clay. I was in Filey just after the flash floods there in 2007. It was heartbreaking, it left massive gouges in the cliffs, and each year it gets worse.

The blame this time seems to be down to a knock on from El Nino but the overall forecast for us, for climate change, is that it is going to keep getting wetter and wetter. In terms of flood defences, we need to start looking at models that address entire catchments, not just major water ways. There is more that could be done, at the very least, to slow run off from up land areas. While protecting people's property is a priority, there needs to be an equal, if not greater, emphasis placed on protecting the structural integrity of the land. It needs to be more sponge, less drainer.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: woogleuk

At least he's out and about trying to help in his own special way.

That's very disturbing...

...in so many ways.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

You just know Cameron's not screaming those words. Probably just wondering if the wane is ok.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

As is our current Prime Minister.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Oh my Lord!!

My stomach is now so deeply disturbed it may never recover.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Uurgh. UUURGH!!

Jeezo, my eyes, my eyes.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

"My stomach is now so deeply disturbed it may never recover."

I think that's Peppa Pig's sentence, but sorry to have offended anyone's sensibility's. I would feel bad, but its not like im telling porky's.

Jokes aside my heart does indeed go out to any and all affected by these floods, hopefully they will subside soon and our government penny's up with regards to restoration.

edit on 30-12-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

The A93 isn't looking too good either:

Not my photo, found on BBC's live feed and winterhighland. About 1.5 miles east of Crathie.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: apex

Oh my god, is that the Braemar road? Or was that the Braemar road, I should say.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

No worries, sensibilities intact, just a residual urge to heave and a slight fear of what my dreams may bring...

I shall be approaching your posts with greater caution in future.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
According to weather forecast there's more heavy rain due today from 1pm to 4pm then light rain for another 2 hours, rain due Sunday and Monday too with nearly 100 flood warnings for UK today. I do wonder how things will be if we have a cold winter with snow and then we get snow melt combined with rain, I think flooding could be much worse.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

It never ceases to amaze me how very sharply defined the affected areas are.I know I'm several hundred miles south of where all this bad stuff is happening,but driving through Sussex today I see rivers such as the Adur and Uck which have both taken lives before now are both barely above their summer levels.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Yes, it is the (ex) Braemar road/Perth - Aberdeen via Braemar and Glenshee road.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
According to weather forecast there's more heavy rain due today from 1pm to 4pm then light rain for another 2 hours, rain due Sunday and Monday too with nearly 100 flood warnings for UK today. I do wonder how things will be if we have a cold winter with snow and then we get snow melt combined with rain, I think flooding could be much worse.

Snow and ice are marginally better, a slow thaw meters the drain down somewhat, except when we're having periodic warm bursts, as we have been, which could lead to rapid thaw. Joy!

Still, I'd really like some snow this winter, knee deep if possible.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I was flapping a bit before....come about 2pm the heavens opened and unleashed hell! I've never seen rain as heavy, it persisted until about 5pm.

All the best everyone, let's hope 2016 is a bit better.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Happy New Year everyone.

edit on 12.31.2015 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Happy Earth Completing an Orbit of the Sun day to you too

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Happy New Year damp friends.

Here's hoping 2016 is kinder to us. It's a bit frosty here which makes a change and it's dry for now. Fingers crossed.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Well that didn't last long! Aberdeenshire took a battering again:

The Don burst its banks

Ellon

Don't forget , they're dealing with snow at the same time. Uurgh. Just spoke to my mother, who says the rain has finally stopped up there.
This thread is going to be good to look back on in the future and if nothing else, we'll see if anything changes.

BBC Scotland
edit on 8-1-2016 by beansidhe because: add source

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I've been told that winter will be coming towards us next week...which with all this water still mounting up is not going to be anywhere near pretty.

Hope you and your's are staying safe.

Best.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join