It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain underwater, thanks Obama. (aka Winter weather watch 2015)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Well, it's November, that time of year to get the canoes out and put on the dookers (Cumbrian for speedos) and start another cliche British weather thread.

Every year the flooding gets worse, although it's usually in different areas of the country.

Is global warming to blame? Climate change? (The Obama thing in the title was tongue in cheek, he seems to be getting blamed for everything else lately).

Since Friday and storm Abigail, we (mostly the north and Scotland) have been relentlessly battered by a little girl storm who has spat her dummy.

We are getting some seriously flooding here in Cumbria, and I would like to hear other members experiences with the weather so far this weekend.

They have pretty much evacuated one town (Egremont) so far, another town, Cockermouth, is on the verge of sinking and here in Workington we are watching the river Derwent very closely. In 2009 a tsunami of water made its way down the Derwent and took out bridges all the way down tens of miles of river, some of which had stood for hundreds of years.

Sadly, in 2009 when the Northside bridge washed away here in Workington a police officer, Bill Barker, who was standing on it trying to prevent cars and people crossing was washed out to sea and tragically lost his life.

It's only going to get worse this coming week, I just hope there is no harm or loss of life.

Some pics from a round Cumbria:

Some local lads in Keswick making the most of it (bear in mind it's Winter time, that's us Northerners for you lol)

Skelwith:

Windemere:

Cockermouth:

Derwentwater:

edit on 15/11/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I get your drift but we are hardly underwater

Glug Glug

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: lamplighters

Go for a pint in Cockermouth then.....just make sure you bring a snorkel :-p

The title wasn't meant to be serious, I'm just curious how other areas in the country are holding up that have been hit by this storm.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

I know a lad who lives up near Keswick and him and his family couldn't get home safely last week. It was that couple of days when the old fella got washed away in the flooding. According to him, people watched the guy banging on the window trying to get out. Poor guy.

Cumbria's such a beautiful place in any weather at all...apart from flood weather. Not so good when flooded.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

The title wasn't meant to be serious, I'm just curious how other areas in the country are holding up that have been hit by this storm.

West Yorkshire pouring down for about four days non stop
but not as windy as it was the last few days

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Was that the 86yr old WWII vet that whose car ended up in the river Kent in Kendal?

Sad story, unfortunately there isn't an awful lot anyone can do in that situation, the rivers can be savage at times.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Yeah that'll be him. I didn't know they'd found him. It was on the news in the morning after when neither the man nor his vehicle had been found. Poor bugger...

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Found this.......probably the same incident you are talking about, 80 not 86, dunno where I got the WWII vet from.

www.lakelandradio.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Scotland is generally too hilly and mountainous for it to flood. Some areas do flood. but nothing as bad as some parts of England.

In the 40's we had a massive drainage system built at the cost of 100 million, a lot in those days, that would channel all unwanted water downhill and away from scotland...ie. over the border into England, including our sewage...

Well ye steal our oil, might as well have our turds while yer at it.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

As long as no-one flushes Alex Salmond, we have enough crap to deal with, do you know how long it took to palm off Piers Morgan to the Yanks, now they want to deport him back.

Bad enough you send us all your cold weather.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

a reply to: Soloprotocol

As long as no-one flushes Alex Salmond, we have enough crap to deal with,.

Ffs..Ye want us to block the pipe and cause blowback...no danger.
edit on 15-11-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Scotland is generally too hilly and mountainous for it to flood. Some areas do flood. but nothing as bad as some parts of England.

In the 40's we had a massive drainage system built at the cost of 100 million, a lot in those days, that would channel all unwanted water downhill and away from scotland...ie. over the border into England, including our sewage...

Well ye steal our oil, might as well have our turds while yer at it.

You do get the odd streets that flood, even if they are in a high part of the city. Simply because the council didn't get round to clearing the drains of Autumn fall leaves. There was a car showroom near the middle of my street that very nearly became flooded because of this reason.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Last time I was in your neck of the woods was September, if you don't count Silverdale (Cumbria/Lancs borderlands). We had an afternoon around Ambleside and Langdale area. Usual stuff, meal and a pint.

Here's a picture from Langdales. You know Dungeon Ghyll? This was taken from the pub next door out back in the beer garden. Can't remember the name of the place; it's better for food and beer than DG.

Another from Troutbeck:

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Well,down here in the deep deep deep sarf where we all sit on our verandahs playing banjos we had one bad day yesterday of non-stop mildly heavy rain,and that's about it.
We get it bad down here about once every ten years when we get REAL floods,but the number of floodettes is coming down to about every other year.First week in december was bad last year.Lets hope we're spared the wrath of god for another year.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Know the area well, walked just about every fell in these lands, and stopped at many a pub.

Wouldn't be the Sticklebarn Tavern would it?

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

You southerners are great, a drop of rain here, or a flake of snow there and it's Armageddon! Airports shut, schools, businesses, everything grinds to a halt.

Get that up here (as seen in one of my pictures) and people don swimming trunks.

Heavy rain? You mean a light shower right?

Lol.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Cockermouth, eh?
You folks sure do have colorful place names.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Here's a picture from Langdales. You know Dungeon Ghyll?

Nice looking ridge.
Anyone fly it?

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

If you mean hand-gliding and the likes of, yes, The lake district in Cumbria is a great place for it (not done it, but seen plenty of people up there).

Just have to avoid low flying military craft like the Typhoon, they are always training round here.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Hang gliding. Yes, that is what I meant.

Just have to avoid low flying military craft like the Typhoon, they are always training round here.
Eek. I don't like to think of myself as a speedbump when I'm flying. Not much a hang glider can do to avoid a jet, except to not be in the air at the same time.

edit on 11/15/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join