It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders: After Paris Attacks What Greatest Threat to America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Who cares where he is leading? If he feels global warming is the largest threat to the Untied States while China and India continue to use coal how does that mitigate the perceived threat?

Does this indicate that you think we should ignore the issue until China and India decide it's time to "clean up"?

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Coal is cheap now but how long can they keep that up, indefinitely?

Yeah, they can and they will until it no longer makes practical sense for them.

The Indians in particular think we are incredibly hypocritical with our stance on their coal. We enjoyed the benefits of the Industrial Revolution and they feel they are entitled to the same thing despite what any politician here says.

Any change that's going to take place, especially globally, will be slow but hopefully progress faster as the years go on.

There will not be any change in India or China because Sanders or any other pandering politician says so.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Does this indicate that you think we should ignore the issue until China and India decide it's time to "clean up"?

No, but I think any plan should not unduly burden the United States or its citizens.

link   
I was going to say ask the Pentagon or the army generals who have repeatedly said the same thing over the years. Looks like SO beat me to it.

link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

You can asks whomever you want. I mentioned him by name as he is the topic of the thread.

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Did you see the mostly silent guys sitting in the theatre staring back at all the yelling plebes? That's Bernie and his party aparatchiks ... they show up and put on a show, but they're really only there to make sure people like you and I tow the mark and get our cathartic release so that our negative emotions are being directed appropriately at the "state approved" enemies, not our real enemies, the ones who actually oppress.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Who cares where he is leading? If he feels global warming is the largest threat to the Untied States while China and India continue to use coal how does that mitigate the perceived threat?

You could definitely argue that position. Our companies will be even worse off in a competitive sense if we continue to hamper their production with additional layers of red tape and higher costs. I am not saying I agree or disagree with this, but it is a position that should be considered before we jump to action.

Also, I am not including reduction in pollution because that has its own benefits regardless of any stance on climate change, however, I still don't consider it our 'greatest threat'.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
I was going to say ask the Pentagon or the army generals who have repeatedly said the same thing over the years. Looks like SO beat me to it.

Of course Obama has been systematically replacing those in the military who don't agree with him...including those that won't fire on American citizens.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No, but I think any plan should not unduly burden the United States or its citizens.

Define burden.

If the US decides to start moving towards new energy technologies or other general plans to keep our pollution low, would you consider that a burden?

Now I would agree with what I believe your overall sentiment is, in that we should not force the American people to drop our pollution so low to compensate for China or India, but I see no problem in taking the necessary steps to do our part.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Yeah I agree. Among the many reasons we're in the Middle East are natural resources. Obviously there's the oil and the petro dollar at stake but there's also other precious metals like gold and lithium in Afghanistan.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Of course Obama has been systematically replacing those in the military who don't agree with him...including those that won't fire on American citizens.

Your last post was reasonable, but this post is not.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Wow buddy. These reports have been going on well before 2008. If you think the DOD's reports are influenced by politics you're wrong.
edit on 15-11-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

If the US decides to start moving towards new energy technologies or other general plans to keep our pollution low, would you consider that a burden?

It depends on how this takes place. Does it occur organically or does the government start picking winners and losers in this sector?

Now I would agree with what I believe your overall sentiment is, in that we should not force the American people to drop our pollution so low to compensate for China or India, but I see no problem in taking the necessary steps to do our part.

What I am taking issue with in this thread is the silly notion that just because Sanders (if elected) tried to get mandates enacted here that it would somehow influence other nations that are more serious polluters as it would not. We could stop polluting tomorrow, China and India would roll along like we never even existed.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

They can until its no longer makes practical sense for them to? Does that mean if there's another cost effective (cleaner) way to get energy they'll abandoned coal? Something like solar, wind, or underwater turbine?

Has the US had much influence on China or India to date with their use of coal? China just may get fed up with their people wearing masks in their unbelievably smoggy cities that they'll look for another cleaner energy source all on their own. Perhaps they and the US, among other allies, can work together on that on a grander scale? That would be neat. India is another polluted mess that may also follow in China's foot steps. Youtube, "Pooping on the beach in India".

edit on 15-11-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
He's absolutely not wrong. As a matter of fact, one could convincingly argue that a good deal of "the war on terror" is actually jockeying for resources, like water, for one, that shall be scarce very soon.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

While I could care less of Sanders opinion on our planets perfect temperature, I respect the fact that he is basing his ideas on our scientists findings.

Just because sanders is not a scientist...

...does not mean he can't listen to them!!! LOL's

link   

originally posted by: Swills

They can until its no longer makes practical sense for them to? Does that mean if there's another cost effective (cleaner) way to get energy they'll abandoned coal? Something like solar, wind, or underwater turbine?

No. Coal is the cheapest method of producing electricity. Until the alternatives become cheaper, which does not appear likely any time soon, they will continue to burn coal at an increasing rate.

Has the US had much influence on China or India to date with their use of coal? China just may get fed up with their people wearing masks in their unbelievably smoggy cities that they'll look for another cleaner energy source all on their own. Perhaps they and the US, among other allies, can work together on that on a grander scale? That would be neat. India is another polluted mess that may also follow in China's foot steps.

Please read the articles I linked. They are quite clear on both nation's stances with coal vis-à-vis the United States and the immediate future.

link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

What does that have to do with my reply to the other poster?

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh stop your petty hyperbole.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

He's absolutely not wrong. As a matter of fact, one could convincingly argue that a good deal of "the war on terror" is actually jockeying for resources, like water, for one, that shall be scarce very soon.

Last time I looked, the Middle East, where the vast majority of the War on Terror was taking place, is a bit arid and lacking in water resources. We aint there for the H2O.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join