It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some people have to be so obnoxious? What do you gain?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Not just here on ATS. I am relatively new here and this is not the only place that I have witnessed or dealt with obnoxious behavior. It has been going on everywhere I go. It is just so demoralizing to deal with. Why are people so eager to be rude and selfish and downright ugly? I have a hard enough time dealing with the state of this planet without having to put up with obnoxious people in my daily life too.

I do not even know how to be obnoxious and rude and yet some people find it rather easy to have this behavior and I do not get it. Does it make you feel better to put other people down? Are you so insecure that the only way for you to get through your day is to be a complete jerk to other people?

I read an OP the other day that got some rather idiotic responses. It seems that if someone is not directly affected by a specific event then they just simply do not care. And another member wrote an OP about losing some dear pets, some of those replies were insensitive and obnoxious too. What amazes me is that these same obnoxious jerks will be in need of some tenderness and support one day and they will expect other people to sympathize with them.

And fortunately for them, the same people they put down and ridicule will be the the same one's that know how to turn the other cheek and provide support to them. I am tired of the obnoxious selfish jerks and wish they would all take a long look in the mirror and realize they are only hurting themselves worse by continuing to step on other peoples feelings.

There is nothing to gain from being obnoxious, is there? Perhaps the obnoxious jerks can share with us what benefit they get from their boorish behavior.

Not a rant, but I am pretty sure it would be moved here anyway.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

When people are rude and obnoxious, i kinda reference it to a primate instead of a facade of socially correct.. So if i ask something stupid and i get a reply idiot.. Im more satisfied with that, than being treated like a spoiled kid who cant take that someone who tells you that you are an idiot...Thats me though..

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Unfortunately as the western culture shifts even more to a culture of entitlement, selfies, and self-worship, thoughtless words and actions will only increase.

I'm sorry if it hurts you - it hurts me sometimes too.

Excellent rant!

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I agree with you completely. I will admit from time to time I have an obnoxious side that creeps out, but in fairness to me it is usually in response to those obnoxious jerks you are referring too. Sometimes, I just can not let them get away with it and I stoop to their level. I am ashamed of myself when I do this and feel remorse immediately, much the same way I feel after I step on a cockroach.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Are you concerned about people being obnoxious or insensitive because they are two different things and you mention both in your OP? I don't think people on ATS are obnoxious in general. I am certainly presented with ideas and thoughts that I disagree with on a regular basis. Sometimes I am even offended.

ATS is like a pool of cold water. Sometimes you have to force yourself to jump in because you are going to be shocked by the diversity of opinions and reactions. I do it on purpose because overall I am better off being exposed to these things that make me uncomfortable.

Now if you are talking about insensitivity sometimes 'insensitivity' is a self-defense mechanism. I noticed many here on ATS that internalize every tragedy and injustice happening around the globe. I don't do that because it would make me miserable to worry about things outside of my control.

Anyway, I don't see what you are talking about on ATS, but if it is here it is minimal. As far as the broader world being 'obnoxious' I don't worry about how other people want to live their lives unless it affects me because I believe very strongly in giving other people freedom even if I don't agree with them.

Welcome to ATS.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You seem easily critical of "obnoxious" people here, easily calling them the names that, if they used them, you would condemn. It's an inherent contradiction to your theme and sounds kind of emo to me, so allow me to take a contrarian position here. I've noticed on this and other forums that people seem to feel they have "made good friends" on the Internet, but I would maintain this isn't the case at all, and that "Internet friends" is almost a contradiction. Those good feelings you get when you believe you have connected with a "sympotico" individual are fleeting and can be dashed in a minute. In one case recently a very good "internet community" based on a profession was torn apart in an instant because the guy hosting the blog where we all met daily decided he didn't want to do it any more. he basically said, "Have a good life." and quit abruptly. So much for everyone's "feelings."

On the Internet your "good friends" aren't, yet you and others who put themselves out demand instant sympathy and empathy from total strangers. I'm sometimes amazed at the intimate details people put on these forums. These are details you might not even tell your best friend in person, and many times they seek emotional validation from complete strangers. You're putting your innermost feelings out into the world and expect--even demand-- complete empathy and total understanding from everyone, no exceptions.

It it any wonder that some people do not feel like joining your little Pity Party? Reading some of this stuff is like reading a Dear Abby column with someone writing in about some First World Problem that is of absolutely no consequence to anyone but the writer. The Internet is not your friend. Get over it.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Seriously? This forum is nothing like some other forums I used to frequent.....they were like caged animals!! Little or no moderation, language to make a sailor blush and some very very sick people. I like to think ATS is frequented by the more intelligent forum addicts...like me

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
It it any wonder that some people do not feel like joining your little Pity Party? Reading some of this stuff is like reading a Dear Abby column with someone writing in about some First World Problem that is of absolutely no consequence to anyone but the writer. The Internet is not your friend. Get over it.
Well said

I come here for interesting and robust debate, not to make friends. Way too many bleeding hearts here who expect, for example, respect for their religion, spirituality, or even their opinions, from complete strangers.

I don't respect anyones religion, faith, feelings, or opinions automatically. I respect the RIGHT for people to hold whatever as close to their heart but that's as far as it goes.
The way I type is the way I am in real life, and if anyone thinks I'm a jerk then tough luck, I'm honestly blunt.
...and you know what, that is one of the things my real life social circles actually like about me because you know where you stand.

So to the OP I say click alert whenever you see these terrible attitude comments instead of whining about it in a dedicated thread. If the mods don't delete them then its either deal with it or stop posting here.
The day ATS becomes a mutual appreciation jerk circle I'm out of here. Lame.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I think the simplest answer is that they feed off of it. I know I get some sort of energetic feeling when I engage in said behavior.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Define obnoxious behaviour, because from where I'm standing, sitting and typing on a computer does not constitute obnoxious behaviour.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Define obnoxious behaviour, because from where I'm standing, sitting and typing on a computer does not constitute obnoxious behaviour.

So true.

If I get emotional over something someone typed on a computer screen then they win. I try (not always successfully) to respond logically to posts and not emotionally.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

You seem easily critical of "obnoxious" people here, easily calling them the names that, if they used them, you would condemn. It's an inherent contradiction to your theme and sounds kind of emo to me, so allow me to take a contrarian position here. I've noticed on this and other forums that people seem to feel they have "made good friends" on the Internet, but I would maintain this isn't the case at all, and that "Internet friends" is almost a contradiction. Those good feelings you get when you believe you have connected with a "sympotico" individual are fleeting and can be dashed in a minute. In one case recently a very good "internet community" based on a profession was torn apart in an instant because the guy hosting the blog where we all met daily decided he didn't want to do it any more. he basically said, "Have a good life." and quit abruptly. So much for everyone's "feelings."

On the Internet your "good friends" aren't, yet you and others who put themselves out demand instant sympathy and empathy from total strangers. I'm sometimes amazed at the intimate details people put on these forums. These are details you might not even tell your best friend in person, and many times they seek emotional validation from complete strangers. You're putting your innermost feelings out into the world and expect--even demand-- complete empathy and total understanding from everyone, no exceptions.

Nice exemplification. I can see why your blog buddy peaced out.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I've learned that if you get butt hurt over things people say here then you are only hurting yourself. The "obnoxious" posters here can easily be ignored.

The way I take it is people aren't trying to be obnoxious or necessarily hurtful they really just want you to understand something. They will only be that way when they believe you are wrong and they are right. If it turns out they are wrong then just ignore them. That's what I love about the Internet. You don't know any of these people personally and most likely never will, so why get so offended by what they say?

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

Nice exemplification. I can see why your blog buddy peaced out.

Yeah, we librarians can be a nasty lot.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Sadly, a lot of people are simply so self-absorbed, they flat out don't care how their actions affect others. Some even think it's cool to be nasty, and that sort ends up grouping together. Nothing mew about this; people have done it for a long time.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Take a look at the term "projection" in a psychological dictionary.

More simply - "If you spot it, you've got it".

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I think you're confusing flippant with obnoxious. A lot of people in the modern world are flippant, meaning we lack the time and give-a-damn to play the silly game of modern social tact. I'm not sure, however, that I've run into as many people I'd call obnoxious. Social justice warriors, militant anythings, and grammar Nazis are obnoxious... people who start their day with 12 damns and end it with the same, are not.
edit on 15-11-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: Autocorrect is also obnoxious.

top topics

join