Friends

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Has anyone lost a friend or pet that was so close to you that you cried non stop for nearly 5 days?

On wednesday night (11th June) i lost my cat, Sam. He had stopped eating and was losing way to much weight for comfort!

We took him to the vets on Tuesday and they took blood and gave him some antibacterial IV style!

Tonight we took him and i said that i didn't want him to suffer and let him be put to sleep!

Was i wrong? He was in 2nd stage Renal Failure and i didm't want him top suffer! Am i cruel? Am i selfish?

I don't know anymore?

I can't stop missing him and its only been 4 hours!!!!

Tell me...what should i do?

Move on or always remember him as i do!

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Let it out of your system, losses can be ruff nomatter if its an animal or human. the bonds we build are real and thats what counts. Time will be the only decideing factor, who knows. Maybe a few stiff drinks will help you relax.

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   
You did the right thing.
After all your cat couldnt tell you how much pain it felt.

Maybe you should take in a kitten now to help the local vets. Or another animal, theres always some that have been abandoned and need someone nice.

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Thanks Advisor!

The problem is i don'y know how to liev without him?

He has been part of yth family for 10 years and i can't imagine life without him?

Am i just nuts!

Should i just move on?

What?

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Ten years is a very long time for a cat. to be honest he wasnt going to be around for much longer. Maybe a few more years, but your animal companion was getting old. My best advice is yes, move on but remeber. You will always carry the memory with you. Your not nuts, moveing on is always best. Take your time, and remember the first few days are always the toughest.

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
thanks!

the problem is that i don't know if the treatment would have worked?
Was i selfish to put him to sleep?
Would he have survived?
What kind of person am i to put a person to sleep without trying to help?

I know what renal failure does to you...was i right in choosing to put him to sleep?
Why do i feel like i have murdered him?

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Everything you are feeling is natural. As for being selfish, far from it. It is obvious you didn't want him to suffer anymore. I guess the best way for you to awnser these questions is, imagine yourself in his place. Personally I believe you did the right thing, you ended what was probably the worst thing he could have endured. You ended his suffering and did what was right. Your actions proved you would be humane, don't act like you did something wrong. You prevented a far worse death, and I'm sure those who know you will be supportive.

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'm sorry to hear about your cat Gryffen. I dont think you made a bad decision, you chose what you thought was in the best interest of your cat based on the circumstances.

I think its quite normal to question yourself and your choice as it is fresh in your mind. When you are able to gather your thoughts a bit better, you are still very upset I'm sure, you will reflect on this and know that you did the right thing for your cat.

There's no question that we form bonds with our pets and they grow strong over the years, my dog is 13 and I dread the day when he will be gone, but that time will come and thats the way it is.

I think it's a good idea to get a new kitten, not to "replace" your cat, but to fill the void that you have since you lost your cat. I think it will make things easier and help you get over your loss a bit easier.

I wish you the best on your mission in Iraq and try to think happy thoughts.

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Thanks to all of you!

I don't think i will get over this anytime soon so please if you want a chat then please contact me!

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I am very sorry to hear about your loss!!!

We have 3 cats here, and 2 of them are quite old, much older than your cat... Although they are all in relatively good health, of which I am very very thankful, I do dread the day that I have to make the same decision...

Losses of any type are hard to deal with. Losses of a pet that you grew up with are even harder to deal with.

Please take care of yourself!

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I would rather have had the company of a pet for ten years and suffer through its illness with it, than what one of my friends did.

He bought a kitten for his three-year old daughter, and accidentally backed over it in his car while she watched from the front door. No lethal injection, just a shovel required.

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Was i wrong? He was in 2nd stage Renal Failure and i didm't want him top suffer! Am i cruel? Am i selfish?

There was kidney damage, eh? That's too bad, it really is!!!!!
I'm very sorry for your loss. You definitely did the right thing, it was only a matter of time. It was the most humane thing to do for Sam. Cry and let it all out, and then let some time go by!! You'll always remember him as he was, a good friend.

new topics

top topics

join