It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#1 Iraq Target al-Zarqawi Reportedly Arrested (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Matt Drudge is attempting to scoop the big news outlets again with a story recently posted on his site about al-Zarqawi having been captured in Iraq. The US military has been quick to refute these claims, but it may be too early to know for sure

www.drudgereport.com
Abu Mus'ab al-Zarqawi, whom the US occupation authorities declared to be the "target number one" in Iraq, has been arrested in the city of Baakuba, the Emirate newspaper al-Bayane reported on Tuesday referring to Kurdish sources. Al-Zarqawi, leader of the terrorist group Al-Tawhid Wa'al-Jihad, was recently appointed the director of the Al-Qaeda organisation in Iraq.

The newspaper's correspondent in Baghdad points out that a report on the seizure of the terrorist, on whom the US put a bounty of 10 million dollars, was also reported by Iraqi Kurdistan radio, which at one time had been the first to announce the arrest of Saddam Hussein.

There have been no official reports about the arrest of the terrorist. Al-Zarqawi, 38, a Jordanian, whose real name is Ahmad al-Khalayleh, aims to turn Iraq into a "new Afghanistan". According to Arab press data, Al-Tawhid Wa'al-Jihad group has divided Iraq into several emirates. The group's independent subdivisions at a strength of 50 to 500 militants operate in the cities of Al-Falluja, Al-Qaim, Diala, and Samarra.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You have to wonder if this one's real or not. I already have my doubts. If, however, they've nabbed him, it may bode well for the upcoming elections. Having the governor of Baghdad assassinated doesn't exactly help, though.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I wonder if Zarqawi has some sort of contingency plans in the event of his capture or death. Therefore, why would the US military admit anything until they could be sure that more people & soldiers wouldn't die as a result of their proclamation of victory!?

MK

join