It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ozone Hole Over Antarctica Nears Record-Breaking Size Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Just when you thought you could breathe easy, ATS! It seems that the Ozone layer is back to get us! It has opened to a hole the size of N. America. Glaciers melting, El Nino, the Ozone layer, etc. Save me ATS....You're my only hope...........

The hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica is nearing record-breaking size again, scientists say. In fact, new observations show that the infamous "ozone hole" is currently larger than the entire continent of North America.

Researchers at the German Aerospace Center are using Earth-observing satellites to monitor the protective ozone layer and recently reported that a large, nearly circular hole over Antarctica extends over an area measuring 26 million square km (10 million square miles).

Losing part of the ozone layer over Antarctica is an annual phenomenon, but for the past nine years, the ozone hole has been consistently smaller than the record-breaking 27 -million-square-km (10.4 million square miles) ozone hole measured in 2006, according to annual records from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. Scientists thought the apparent stabilization indicated that the ozone layer was recovering very gradually. But this year's ozone hole surprised them because it formed a whole month later in the year than the ozone hole typically forms, and its size is almost record-breaking.

The ozone layer protects life on Earth from the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays, according to NASA's Earth Observatory. Overexposure to ultraviolet rays increases the risk of skin cancer and cataracts in humans, and this type of radiation has also been known to cause blindness in animals, according to the Climate Science Coalition.

What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

What says ATS?

I can't speak for ATS but for my part.... are you kidding me?

Have the global ice age....no, wait.... global warming.... no, wait.... climate change... yeah, that's it... Have the Climate Change Alarmists finally run out of ideas to try and spread panic among the populace while unwittingly making their masters even more rich that we have come full circle and are "recycling" old panics???

Am I officially back in elementary school talking about the end of the world via HOLES IN THE OZONE!!!!

Hey! You!!! Put down that can of hair spray!!!!

[insert your favorite pic of Jean-Luc Picard doing a face-palm here]
edit on 13-11-2015 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Well, it's something that would probably happen anyway but I believe that man is accelerating his own demise.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The ozone only protects us against galactic rays from the sun. Guess what? There's no one living on Antarctica. Open that hole up and fire away!

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Have the global ice age....no, wait.... global warming.... no, wait.... climate change... yeah, that's it... Have the Climate Change Alarmists finally run out of ideas to try and spread panic among the populace while unwittingly making their masters even more rich that we have come full circle and are "recycling" old panics???

It was the Bush Administration under the advisement of Frank Luntz who started using climate change in place of global warming.

Guardian (2003) - Memo exposes Bush's new green strategy

The memo, by the leading Republican consultant Frank Luntz, concedes the party has "lost the environmental communications battle" and urges its politicians to encourage the public in the view that there is no scientific consensus on the dangers of greenhouse gases.

"The scientific debate is closing [against us] but not yet closed. There is still a window of opportunity to challenge the science," Mr Luntz writes in the memo, obtained by the Environmental Working Group, a Washington-based campaigning organisation.

"Voters believe that there is no consensus about global warming within the scientific community. Should the public come to believe that the scientific issues are settled, their views about global warming will change accordingly.

"Therefore, you need to continue to make the lack of scientific certainty a primary issue in the debate."

The phrase "global warming" should be abandoned in favour of "climate change", Mr Luntz says, and the party should describe its policies as "conservationist" instead of "environmentalist", because "most people" think environmentalists are "extremists" who indulge in "some pretty bizarre behaviour... that turns off many voters".

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

It was the Bush Administration under the advisement of Frank Luntz who started using climate change in place of global warming.

And....?

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Well, it's something that would probably happen anyway but I believe that man is accelerating his own demise.

The beautiful aurora effects near the north and
south poles are caused by charged particles in the
earths magnetic field colliding. Since these areas
are the pinpoints of the magnetic field, charged
particles are driven here and create a spectacular
color collision in the sky. Since ozone is a polar
molecule and magnetic lines originate from north
pole and terminate at south pole. Then can we
quote this reason for the ozone hole to be on
Antarctica as well as at the north pole.

but what do I know

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Aren't the glaciers actually gaining ice now? Something I heard on the radio the other day said it was.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: rowdyrich

Near the South Pole.... You are correct.

But ssshhhhhh..... Keep it secret so people will still be convinced the planet is cooking

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

And....?

Perhaps you have trouble connecting ideas. You wrote this:

originally posted by: eluryh22

theantediluvian is pointing out that global warming -> climate change was initiated by the Bush administration under the guidance of a propaganda adviser.

Further, you mention 'global ice age' - perhaps you should read this thread:
WH Memo 9/17/1969: "It is now pretty clearly agreed that the C02 content will rise 25% by 2000.”
The only ones concerned about an ice age were a tiny minority of scientists and the sensationalist media.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Is the alleged Southern Artic glacier expansion making enough ice to compensate for the drastic Northern Artic glacier retreat/melting? Don't want the public believing that alleged regional glacier expansion being convinced the planet is cooling.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: rowdyrich
Aren't the glaciers actually gaining ice now? Something I heard on the radio the other day said it was.

A new study counters past research that Antarctica is losing ice by claiming Antarctica is actually gaining ice. This is only Antarctica, while glaciers elsewhere are losing ice.

The central idea behind that study is that previous research assumed recent elevation increases in Antarctica due to new snow accumulation, while this study suggests that the rate of snow accumulation is actually decreasing from a previously higher amount:

Zwally said that while other scientists have assumed that the gains in elevation seen in East Antarctica are due to recent increases in snow accumulation, his team used meteorological data beginning in 1979 to show that the snowfall in East Antarctica actually decreased by 11 billion tons per year during both the ERS and ICESat periods. They also used information on snow accumulation for tens of thousands of years, derived by other scientists from ice cores, to conclude that East Antarctica has been thickening for a very long time.

At this declining rate, according to the study, outflow will (or maybe has already) exceed snow accumulation.

Zwally's team calculated that the mass gain from the thickening of East Antarctica remained steady from 1992 to 2008 at 200 billion tons per year, while the ice losses from the coastal regions of West Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula increased by 65 billion tons per year.

There's another troubling thing to consider, from the study's author:

"The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away," Zwally said. "But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for."

There's been a bit of contention about the study in the scientific community, and NASA is launching a new satellite with better instruments in the near future to study Antarctica. It could well be true, but it isn't reducing CO2 levels and ice loss in the rest of the world, nor turning sea level rise around.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This is a part of the secret war. Antarctica, the Aurora Borealis, the Ozone Layer, HAARP, and big oil. This is a war over frequency. Good UV-C vs bad UV. What lies beneath the shelf.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I have no idea about the effects but it occurred to me that maybe the hole in the ozone layer is a natural part of the Earth's ecosystem to control temperatures, like an exhaust or valve that opens and closes to keep a perfect homoeostasis.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Paradeox
What is it that you think a "hole" (actually, an area of lower concentration) in the ozone layer lets out?

The stratospheric ozone layer doesn't have much effect on climate.

edit on 11/14/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT
The ozone only protects us against galactic rays from the sun. Guess what? There's no one living on Antarctica. Open that hole up and fire away!

There are polar bears, cute seals/penguins/giant squids, and crazy yanks living in there.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020

No.
No polar bears.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I don't know. I just had the thought that maybe it's not a bad thing, maybe it serves some purpose that we're not aware of.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

That's what I thought...but I'll keep it a secret.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Ozone Hole Over Antarctica Nears Record-Breaking Size Again

There are more reports its shrinking:

Look Google for "hole ozone layer smaller"

abcnews.go.com...

new topics

top topics

join