It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Had A Slaughter At My House.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn've

Living in the country, that's why we used the 1/4" wire instead of chicken wire. I had read about how coons would just reach through and rip heads off. We have mink too, which is why we buried it, even build the night coop, inside the pole barn.

And we have a boxer and a bulldog. Unfortunately, one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life, was the bulldog, running full tilt at the chicken fence. 4 of us witnessed this. He weighs 90 lbs. He literally bounced off, and layed there, looking at us, like what the hell just happened?

That's why I thought they were safe.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
And thanks for the suggestion of the rescue. I will check around this weekend and see if we have anything like that around here.

I worry now, that with only 3 birds, in a coup built for 20, they won't be able to create enough heat to keep warm, but I'll make something if need be.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I had a yellow lab , and this is what they were bred for. The dog doesnt know wild from domestic birds. The owner needs to pay restitution to replace all.

BTW , with your love of chickens , you picked the correct character. Unless I miss my guess .

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: ABNARTY

Thank you. It just sucks, because we prepared for all kinds of wild animals, just to get our butts kicked by a damn dog. I guess hubby still can't figure out how he got in, unless he jumped the temporary runs 4 foot fence.

I'm an experienced Black Lab owner. After burying my last dog, I decided to not get another, but Labs are incredible animals. Smart and easy to train, but they are not exactly family pets and yes, any Lab would kill the chickens given the chance.

A 4 foot fence would never stop a large working breed dog.

Chaining them is cruel and your neighbor, if he wants a Lab needs to build it a large run and take it out daily for a workout. If he can't he should find it a real home.

He should pay you and make sure your made whole. The dog did nothing wrong however. Chickens behind a 4 foot fence are at risk and you might want to consider a run with the top covered as well.

So sorry to hear you lost your chickens.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20027480]Gothmog[/post

The owner has offered and I will accept. That is the thing about our neighborhood, the country. Yes, I was mad, and wanted to strangle the dog to be honest.
But at the end of the day? Most of my neighbors are good people, old school farmers. As long as he doesn't let that dog roam again, we will be good with him buying me new chickens this spring.

Still hurts though, not gonna lie

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

"That's why I thought they were safe.

All you can do is the best you can, because some of the animals that are natural predators to chickens are not just smart, they are amazingly clever. My mother and I laugh when we hear anyone say "That dumb animal!' Dumb they are not and they have beat some of the best of traps.

Something that has worked for some locals, is a noise booby trap, it will scare them off the first couple of times, but if you don't make a presence after the trap is set off, they will ignore the noise, just as you did, and still wreck havoc. I know someone that swears by her baby monitor, but you have the same problem. You "have" to go and check when the alarm goes off, every time, and you have to be a light sleeper.

If you are in the country the Humane Society is very likely to have chickens. If not, the local feed store usually carries them at a fair price. Good luck. You will learn what works for you and your location. Everyday has a new lesson to be learned; or 3 or 4.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555
It really was a fluke, except the way he treats his dogs. Again, we didn't even know he had this one, but he breeds german short hairs, of which he has like 10. Because of the pheasant preserve.

I guess what it all boils down to, is having neighbors you liked, for 13 years, and compromise. And never setting up temporary runs again. I will rework the permanent one. Knock on wood, nothing has gotten into that one. But we did have bird cloth over the temp. damn dog jumped through it.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I'm so sorry to hear about your chickens.

We lost a pet duck and had some sheep tore up real good a long time ago by a neighbor dog once.

Always heartbreaking to lose members of the family.

My earnest condolences.

*hugs*

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

It's good that you can get through this in a friendly manner.

So 11 bird dogs. That's quite a batch of dogs.

I know many would not agree with me about chaining animals, but I've always been against that. A Lab on a chain goes against its nature, its breeding and can make them mean. Dogs like that run many miles a day if allowed. I kept mine in large fenced area's free to run. My last dog George the Black Lab was a constant companion and no doubt would have defended me with his life without hesitation. I can't imagine what would happen to a dog like that if not allowed to run and be a Lab.

Again, very sorry to hear about your chickens. That's got to hurt.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Oh nooooo! Poor chickens! I am so sorry you had to lose them like that! You'll have to show us new pics in the Spring when you get more. Still, I know you are sad for the ones you lost. HUGS!

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Ouch! At least he's trying to be a good neighbor, and replace the chickens. Making sure the dg isn't loose again should be required. It doesn't seem likely this dog would make a good pet. I am not sure, other than putting it down, what would be a good solution.

Sad situation.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The hard part will be explaining to your kids why there's chicken for dinner again.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I'm so sorry for your loss. (HUGS) to you.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

. I really don't want it put down, but what can you do with a dog like that? 

He killed your chickens - and that sucks - but you can't kill a dog for killing birds

I had a dog once that managed to jump a pretty high fence and kill our neighbors ducks - she was a setter. The neighbor was furious but didn't want her dead

My sister raises chickens - lost several to hawks, a few recently to a bobcat, a fox, a coyote and a bunch of eggs to snakes...

Chickens are lovely to keep - but they're just food to most other animals

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

So very sorry to hear about your flock.

That's awesome you are being so understanding about the situation and that your neighbor is being good about it. I know that as individuals they are irreplaceable, but now maybe you can have a few more of those lovely silkies.

And as a side note, I know people who keep chickens outside of Fairbanks and they see -50 regularly. I know she has more than three, but I do believe all she uses to heat the coop is a lightbulb. It might be worth a try to keep your last few toasty.
edit on 14-11-2015 by woodsmom because: Response to another post

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Don't read it...don't read it!!!
Aaagh! I read it!!!
So sorry for your loss!

Our daughter & son-in-law got six hen chicks three years ago.
They have a lot of deer & some elk go through their place,
& there are a lot of ticks, Lyme Disease is bad in our area.
So they got a breed that likes ticks.
They free range during the day,
& go back to the coop on their own at twilight,
& then they lock them in for the night.

Never had any problems until this summer.
They think a hawk got the first one.
It was dead in the yard with it's head missing!
The other ones had run back into the coop,
& a hawk was walking around it trying to get in.

Then one wandered out on their one lane road & got hit.
One walked under an apple tree just as a dead branch fell off!
(I know! What are the odds, right!)
S-in-l saw it happen, or he wouldn't have believed it!

The last one they think a coyote got in the middle of the day.
Our s-in-l saw the coyote & chased it,
& went to check on the chickens & put them in their coop.
He eventually found them already hiding in the coop,
but one of them was missing.
He figures the coyote already got that one,
& was coming back for more.

They were so tame & had very different personalities.
Our grandson had one of those big, yellow, metal, Tonka trucks,
outside in one of their sheds.
One day he went to get it & it was full of eggs!
They wondered why they weren't getting eggs from all of them everyday!

They keep a light bulb in their coop when it's too cold.
They may need it more often this winter with only two of them left!
They don't know if they will replace them or not next year.
I don't know if hens will accept chicks that aren't theirs,
or always get along with other full grown chickens either?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
WOQ

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Do you know how many chickens get slaughtered on a daily basis just to supply KFC's kitchens?

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom
The light bulb is a good idea. I think with that, and halving the coop, putting a wall up to make it a bit smaller, they will be good for the winter. Lots of straw too.

We had bad news good news too. We lost the other black one, so were down to two, but hubby found one of the female polish Saturday. She managed to get in between the back sliding door and the barn. And she is unharmed.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

That's great that you found an escapee! Sorry to hear about the other one though.
Halving the coop is a great idea, you should have no problems keeping them toasty enough this winter.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join