It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With 'Off-Planet' Mining Bill, US Congress Seeks to Privatize Outer Space

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

Will ore processing be cheaper in space?

Well if we do it anything like we've historically done it here, we'll just enslave the native population and make them do it "for free".

It baffles me how people can think historical colonialism is bad, but futuristic colonialism is just friggin' dandy.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This isn't anything new, I bought my wife an entire star for Christmas last year. ...

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: VoidHawk

I don't think you are considering how far out there is. That's one hell of a lot of nothing between here and there.

Not far to mars

I know there's a lot of problems to be solved, but we've got to start building Star Trek type ships. We've got to be capable of space travel, because until then, this planet is a prison.

Then I would suggest to learn how to speak Chinese. NASA isn't interested in interplanetary travel as evidenced by the shuttle program rather than the big rockets.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: VoidHawk

I don't think you are considering how far out there is. That's one hell of a lot of nothing between here and there.

Not far to mars

I know there's a lot of problems to be solved, but we've got to start building Star Trek type ships. We've got to be capable of space travel, because until then, this planet is a prison.

The human race hasn't earned the right to escape prison earth.

But maybe some day..

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: deadeyedick

Will ore processing be cheaper in space?

Well if we do it anything like we've historically done it here, we'll just enslave the native population and make them do it "for free".

It baffles me how people can think historical colonialism is bad, but futuristic colonialism is just friggin' dandy.

So who are going to enslave out there? What "native population" are you referring to? How is your comparison at all valid?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

4. What would be the consequences of bringing back those resources to Terra. Short term I don't think it would be much but long term would it change the mass of the planet.

5. Mostly I don't see much thought to any of the potential negative consequences only the hope of consentrated pofit for the few.

The article only discusses the first point - well part of my first point.

After writing a bit - my initial assesment is that it would be foolhardly to EXPECT this to be of help due to increased (massive) use of planetary resources and damage to the bioshpere that such an undertaking would require to be of practical use until we have the will and means to do so without added pollution. Mining of any type, anywhere does horrible damage to life.

We add about 5,600 million kgs (ave 70kgs p/person) every year through Population growth; and you worry about changing the mass of the planet?

"mining damages life"? what, in a vacuum in outer space - I really don't see what you're fussing about?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

We add about 5,600 million kgs (ave 70kgs p/person) every year through Population growth; and you worry about changing the mass of the planet?

Where does that material come from? Space? How about just rearranging earth.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

how do you guarantee the safe return of large amounts of asteroid ore

You still sleep soundly knowing that planes don't crash on your skull -

www.quora.com...

there are about 100,000 scheduled commercial airline flights per dayworldwide

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I want to know how they can police that law.

I mean, if you can get up there, and actually dig up some valuables, why would they bother to come back?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

That isnt added weight to earth. Humans are the product of earth. Human mass does not change the planet mass.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Where does that material come from? Space? How about just rearranging earth.

My response was about the added "weight" of materials coming back to earth, your question doesn't even make sense

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Humans are the product of earth. Human mass does not change the planet mass.

If everyday I eat about 3 kgs of food - my weight doesn't go up by 3kgs! In the scheme of things I dont think bringing back a few million tons of "rare" outer space materials (as long as cost benefit is favourable) is gonna throw the planet off kilter.

Do you people think about what you're saying as you type?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Intr. They would most likely refine it and then send it back earthward in a form less destructive to th eplanets ecosystem. Craft like the x-37 made to carry payloads to and from the mining operations. No ones dumb enough to try and drop a asteroid on the planet except jihadist.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

So who are going to enslave out there? What "native population" are you referring to? How is your comparison at all valid?

Point being, humanity has yet to shed its conquer-and-exploit mentality. Until we do that, we really have no business running around filing claims in space.

Do you not see the the parallel? History repeats itself. Of course we'd all like to think that we've "progressed" above and beyond the horrors of colonialism, but that simply is not the case. I see no evidence of it.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

And just how are the corporations going to build the infratstruture necessary for such a 'boon' without making Mother Earth uninhabitable?

The raw materials necessary for this will not make Earth uninhabitable. Please point somewhere, cite something, that clearly states this. Otherwise is just hyperbolic nonsense.

The rest of the post isn't even worth responding to. Please educate yourself on these matters before continuing to embarrass yourself with such hyperbole.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Are you high right now?

Except there is no other life in this solar system, at least not complex and intelligent life, where we have to worry about the effects of colonizing the solar system.

Seriously man.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Except there is no other life in this solar system, at least not complex and intelligent life, where we have to worry about the effects of colonizing the solar system.

You don't know that. There is no way you could know that. Life may not be confined to our narrow conception of it.

Sheer arrogance.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Really? There is intelligent life in the solar system and we missed it? What planet/moon are they on?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
Mining of any type, anywhere does horrible damage to life.

Mining in outer space doesn't do massive damage to life, actually. I think mining operations in outer space are the way to go. There are apparently even naturally occurring petroleum deposits on other planets / moons in our solar system. This has major implications for our future in space - if nations aren't allowed to own anything in space but corporations are, the long-term potential is for corporations to eventually make nations obsolete.
edit on 13pmFri, 13 Nov 2015 15:16:22 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

You don't know that. There is no way you could know that. Life may not be confined to our narrow conception of it.

Sheer arrogance.

You're the one that believes we have exploitable labor in space man..Not me.

Pardon me if I don't take your nonsense seriously.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join