It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

social justice in colleges explained

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I found this video very funny but very depressing at the same time.
I know it's satire but just like most great jokes there is an element of truth that sticks with you. A little exaggerated to prove a point. A little truth to make it hit home.

m.youtube.com...

I also feel our colleges are moving away for education and moving to indoctrination.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I'm unable to watch the video at this time, but I have to ask why you think education is moving towards indoctrination?

Is it because of videos you see on youtube or the stories of people doing and saying controversial things on campus'?

Have you considered that you believe that because you surround yourself with media sources, information and like-minded individuals that push that idea as truth?

Is it possible that you are, in fact, indoctrinated in to a certain belief?

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I also feel our colleges are moving away for education and moving to indoctrination.

Indoctrination begins in Kindergarten, so either you didn't know that, or it worked...

It's the latter, huh?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I have a large family with many kids in college and from talking to these kids I can get a feel for what's happening at their schools.

They always have stories of social justice being shoved down at them.

My wife also has dealings with college students at work and has to deal with kids and their fairness.

I don't get everything from Glenn Beck.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

When kids are in grade school you can talk to them every day and temper the crap being spoon fed to them.
That's much harder to do when they are away at college.

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

OP says something you don't like and you make all manner of assumptions about why he thinks what he thinks, then insinuate that he can't think for himself.

Typical.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
That video is totally stupid.

originally posted by: Bluntone22
They always have stories of social justice being shoved down at them.

Can I ask a few questions?
1. What exactly is "Social Justice" to you? (the opposite of social injustice?)
2. What's wrong with justice in society?
3. How does one "shove" this justice on someone else?

Social justice is defined as "... promoting a just society by challenging injustice and valuing diversity." It exists when "all people share a common humanity and therefore have a right to equitable treatment, support for their human rights, and a fair allocation of community resources."
What is Social Justice

Doesn't sound like something I should be afraid of ... In fact, it sounds pretty good to me. Why am I hearing this phrase used as an insult?
edit on 11/13/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

a reply to: BestinShow

When kids are in grade school you can talk to them every day and temper the crap being spoon fed to them.
That's much harder to do when they are away at college.

Yes, because the emotional and mental state of a grade schooler is the same as someone attending College...

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Doesn't sound like something I should be afraid of ... In fact, it sounds pretty good to me. Why am I hearing this phrase used as an insult?

It is the same reason that "progressive", "liberal", and most strangely, "intellectual" is thrown around as a stand-alone insult.

Somewhere, somebody got together and said "We got nothing on some of these people... I say we just give them compliments but say them scornfully!"

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

LOL! I'm beginning to think you're right. Some would rather stand firmly in their reverence of regressive, conservative, unintellectual positions!

Aside from the Social Injustice, many seem to hold these ideas as important "values":

regressive - becoming less advanced; returning to a former or less developed state
conservative - holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation
unintellectual - lacking intelligence or depth

Yeah, I'm going to go with social justice for $500, Alex.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
That video is sums up nicely what is happening at public schools and universities.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Diversity is fine.
Equality is fine.
No problem with that.

But justice is equality. People should be equal.
I am supposed to ignore gender and skin color when dealing with people. That's as it should be.
Let's fill out some college entrance forms now.
There are spots to fill in your race and gender...why?
If all is equal and just, those should not matter.
I'm told everybody is the same but you better notice I'm different.
Social justice has nothing to do with equality, it's punishment for white privilage.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

But justice is equality. People should be equal.
I am supposed to ignore gender and skin color when dealing with people.

Is that your definition of "equal". Do you mean "exactly the same"? Because when talking about social equality, people usually mean "equal treatment under the law or rules of an organization".

Let's fill out some college entrance forms now.
There are spots to fill in your race and gender...why?

Almost EVERY form you fill out has those questions. The data helps in compiling information. Why should college be any different?

I'm told everybody is the same but you better notice I'm different.

Sorry. I don't.

Social justice has nothing to do with equality, it's punishment for white privilage.

Interesting... I didn't see that definition in my search. I guess everyone has their own definition of the word... Makes it kind of hard to discuss the concept if it means something different to everyone.
edit on 11/13/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Don't play coy, it's cute but it stops now!

Seeing as I've seen you have this discussion NUMEROUS times before on this site it would be somewhat embarrassing if you really didn't know exactly what is meant by "social justice" in this specific context.

We are inundated daily with stories of social justice warriors wreaking havoc, pulling their victim cards. Yet you persist in this self delusion of yours, you know exactly what we're talking about. We're talking about cultural Marxism, cultural relativism, political correctness gone mad, "social justice warriors"(seems nobody told them that would sound sanctimonious) and "crybullies" getting people fired all over for having the audacity to be devilish enough to disagree with them.. Sometimes they don't even need an inkling of a reason, they'll just make one up. This has almost become the new normal now.. give it ten more years and this madness will have polarized and radicalized the masses to such a degree that any type of unity will be impossible to attain.

Did you even watch the movie? You deem this type of stuff justice? This system is already more or less in praxis in higher educations all over the Western world. You're not gonna buck the trend in a liberal college and not get punished for it. I would call that indirectly shoving ideology in the face of someone, which is what the OP meant by the way.

As if that wasn't already happening with almost all major institutions and power brokers, they all have a liberal bias these days. In the great game a certain faction ended up with part of the political machinery, Hollywood, but also crucially they were able to leverage their influence in academia. They've been spouting cultural Marxist bull# in the West ever since.

They're using leftist fools as social currency to bring in newspeak, thoughtcrime and the technological dictatorship. It's a Brave New World! These leftist automata will be ready to unleash sickening and cowardly tantrums on anyone that dares to think differently. They'll only get more and more ridiculous.. they'll accuse you of eye rape just like in the video! If they ever try that # on me I swear I really will rape their eye.. with a fork.

Voi voi...

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I don't have any problem with Social Justice. What's wrong with exercising your First Amendment right? Are you just upset that people are saying things you don't like?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
EXCELLENT! Thanks

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

What you are describing is very sterilized and anecdotal. In no way can someone inform themselves on the truth in such a manner.

I don't get everything from Glenn Beck.

Just my opinion, but you shouldn't get anything from Glenn Beck.

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: introvert

OP says something you don't like and you make all manner of assumptions about why he thinks what he thinks, then insinuate that he can't think for himself.

Typical.

It has nothing to do with me liking what the OP said or not. I was inquiring as to whether or not they would consider that the belief higher education institutions are indoctrinating kids comes from biased media reporting and anecdotal evidence.

It appears that was the case.

The idea that colleges and universities are liberal bastions and indoctrination centers originates within the propaganda certain political partisans and media outlets use to actually indoctrinate people.

There is only one "university" I can think of that openly indoctrinates people and that is Liberty University.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

That's a long rant. I can sum up your words much easier, "I don't like it when people get upset and speak up for when I say insensitive things; because of this I wish to infringe on their first amendment right to say whatever they want so that only -I- can say whatever I want. If what I say hurts your feeling. Too bad."
edit on 13-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm execising my right to call them idiots.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I need a bigger safe space, the privacy of my own home is not enough.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join