It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapidly Melting Glacier Will Raise Sea Levels 'For Decades To Come'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm sure I read somewhere recently that a couple of glaciers were actually gaining mass,or did I just dream this?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

There has been some increase in snowfall in Antarctica, how so far seems to be mitigating the coastal glacial melt there. But there are of course many other glaciers around the world melting. Saw this today

www.thelocal.no...

Upshot is: there is a net increase in sea levels from glacial melt and it looks like continuing.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx
I'm sure I read somewhere recently that a couple of glaciers were actually gaining mass,or did I just dream this?

I think there has been some increase in glaciers in the Karakorum (but decline elsewhere) which, as in Antarctica is due to changes in weather patterns and resultant increased snowfall. However these are very much the exception

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx

no you read it but it does not fit current agendas so it will not be spoken of by those who believe that science is planning a fake Armageddon

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

www.livescience.com...

No cover ups

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

This started melting in 2012, here we are, four years later and there hasn't been any rise in the oceans yet. Why is that?

And why do you consider this proof that it's due to "man made" warming?

I guess the oceans don't rise in your neighborhood, but that doesn't mean it's not happening....here are islands off the coast of panama, where the indigenous people are having to pack up and move, due to the rise in sea level...please show this to all the right-wing yahoos that don't believe in climate change, and see if they have an intelligent answer why this is happening...
eyeonlatinamerica.wordpress.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

That is not from melting glaciers as far as I know it is from shifting currents?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

thanks for the link

the ad bars are very distracting

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

O I c
since I use a computer that means I can not do sciences.

Well I haven't seen you once contribute accurate science to ATS. I wouldn't say that it is directly because you own a computer, but I can definitely say that you aren't more informed than the scientists who study this (and other sciences as well).

As long as you are sure I am about to get flooded then by all means bring on the water.

what do you say to all those sciencers that do not agree that I flood is coming? I suppose the whole random person on a computer excuse may work to silence them.

What is a sciencer and why should I care about its opinion on things?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

ok

you have not proven yet that glaciers are rapidly melting.

like I said perhaps they are melting and freezing but there are many factors but if you took all other factors away and all the glaciers in the world melted rapidly then the water level would rise.

Simply stating that glaciers are rapidly melting does not prove anything.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

ok

you have not proven yet that glaciers are rapidly melting.

Prove it? When did you ask for evidence for it in the first place? Was the article in the OP not good enough for you?

like I said perhaps they are melting and freezing but there are many factors but if you took all other factors away and all the glaciers in the world melted rapidly then the water level would rise.

Simply stating that glaciers are rapidly melting does not prove anything.

Simply stating that my OP isn't true also doesn't prove anything either. If you are going to demand evidence from me, then you need to start providing some to counter all the evidence and links I've supplied in this thread, and I've supplied a bunch.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

The only truth I need is the lack of rubber boots on my feet.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

So in other words, if you live on high ground and NEVER have to worry about flooding, then no where else in the world the sea levels are rising. Glad to see you are sticking to your guns with being as unscientific as possible. And you wondered why I said that scientists are more informed than you on things.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The point is that it is not happening as you state it is.

You bring an urgent message to the board that is not urgent and all the fluctuations you state can also be attributed to natural happenings even if you do not think so.

The natural climate doesn't change as abruptly as we are seeing it change in front of us

This is the work of a sciencer

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

The point is that it is not happening as you state it is.

Thanks for letting me know this mr. unscientific, but I don't take my science from some guy who tells me how things are on ATS.

You bring an urgent message to the board that is not urgent and all the fluctuations you state can also be attributed to natural happenings even if you do not think so.

Oh FORGIVE me for worrying about the world we are leaving our children. I guess # them right?

This is the work of a sciencer

So someone who backs their claims up with evidence? Got it.

What does past climate change tell us about global warming?

Life flourished in the Eocene, the Cretaceous and other times of high CO2 in the atmosphere because the greenhouse gasses were in balance with the carbon in the oceans and the weathering of rocks. Life, ocean chemistry, and atmospheric gasses had millions of years to adjust to those levels.

But there have been several times in Earth’s past when Earth's temperature jumped abruptly, in much the same way as they are doing today. Those times were caused by large and rapid greenhouse gas emissions, just like humans are causing today.

Those abrupt global warming events were almost always highly destructive for life, causing mass extinctions such as at the end of the Permian, Triassic, or even mid-Cambrian periods. The symptoms from those events (a big, rapid jump in global temperatures, rising sea levels, and ocean acidification) are all happening today with human-caused climate change.

So yes, the climate has changed before humans, and in most cases scientists know why. In all cases we see the same association between CO2 levels and global temperatures. And past examples of rapid carbon emissions (just like today) were generally highly destructive to life on Earth.

Still waiting for you to post your counter evidence and not just your personal anecdotes though.
edit on 13-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
So a "sciencer" is kinda a play on the word "truther" to box up a difference of opinion? Is that a weasel word?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Do you care that these predictions are always wrong?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

There is no need for counter evidence.

The reason is because the thought of a glacier rapidly melting is being overstated.

Perhaps you should go back and do definition searches for the term rapid.

How can you be so sure that if a bunch of glaciers melting at once would make the sea level rise. Perhaps the melted water will just enter into the current water tables of areas stricken by drought. You do not and your global flood theory is more lame that the end times bible stories.

Maybe you could just build a pipeline into space and vent the glaciers.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Do you care that these predictions are always wrong?

Do you care that this statement has already been proven to be a lie in this thread?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
So a "sciencer" is kinda a play on the word "truther" to box up a difference of opinion? Is that a weasel word?

No no a sciencer is equal to a priest. Just a different religion.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join