It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are YOU doing about Tsunami relief?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
"No dang business, eh?

Are you bragging or complaining?

You know, attitude counts.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bean
I hear a lot of people (not here, neccesarily) saying that they have no obligation, because its a different country. IMHO, its not a different country that we're helping. its people. I have a friend in india, and he's lost several people in his village.
[edit on 4-1-2005 by Bean]

Thanks for bringing up this valuable point.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The last time I donated money, I gave $250 to Red Cross after 9/11....At the time, I was a college student and that was almost a whole paycheck....And of course it didn't even go to what I intended it to go toward...albeit I assume it went to a good cause....

I do have sympathy for those involved in this horrible tragedy...but what I don't have is an extra supply of cash to hand out...

But I do know a few wealthy people in this town who have yet to capitalize on their tax-cuts this year by making a generous contribution....Since they're motivated purely by greed and thus all attached sentiment is null and void, consider their million dollars in aide, which I'm sure will be going out soon, a donation from me.....

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
The last time I donated money, I gave $250 to Red Cross after 9/11....At the time, I was a college student and that was almost a whole paycheck....

Now that is heart!

And of course it didn't even go to what I intended it to go toward...albeit I assume it went to a good cause....

I do have sympathy for those involved in this horrible tragedy...but what I don't have is an extra supply of cash to hand out...

There isn't a way someone can give more than they have.

But I do know a few wealthy people in this town who have yet to capitalize on their tax-cuts this year by making a generous contribution....Since they're motivated purely by greed and thus all attached sentiment is null and void, consider their million dollars in aide, which I'm sure will be going out soon, a donation from me.....

This reminds me of when I was younger and used to give my dad a gift that my mom bought even though it was labeled from me. Didn't feel right then and wouldn't feel right now. I'm not concerned about the wealthy since I am not responsible for them. I do however, have to live with myself.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SupaFly

Originally posted by sandge
For everyone grumbling "my tax dollars are going over there," the amount currently pledged by the US gov't is a pittance. What is it now, $350 million? We spent $13 billion on hurricane relief last year in Florida alone.

Do unto others, y'all.

That's not fair. That was for multiple hurricanes with a larger area affected and it was for OUR homeland.

To clarify my point: I'm not saying that we should not have spent the $$ to help out the state of Florida; it was the only decent, human thing to do.

What I *am* saying is that the amount our gov't. has pledged is appallingly inadequate in the face of the devastation caused by this event. I believe the Bush administration initially pledged $35 million. In case you haven't been keeping up with the news lately, that's $5 million less than budgeted for the upcoming inauguration. Does this not suggest skewed priorities to you?

As for the comment that a "larger area [was] affected" -- afraid not; people were killed by the tsunami as far away as Kenya and Tanzania.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I have to agree with a few of the above posters. Giving is a private matter. But if your looking for poll data, a good portion of my salary this month went to UNICEF. Most that can afford to, do so I would hope. It should be a non-issue...S. Asia needs everyone's help!

What eats at my side is the fact that the administration has 1/4 of the nation's earnings and yet asks the public to give even more so they (bankers, CEO's, pork holders, pollys) can continue to misappropriate funds and basically continue mismanaging the taxpayer's dollars.

$350 Million????.....are they serious!!? When you break it down per capita..."Here's 10�, a dime from each American". I'm embarrased to have a govt. such as the greed monkeys we have bilking our system. Forego 1...that's ONE B2 bomber and you've got $2 Billion. Time to kick the whole lot of 'em out of office...Dems, Reps, etc.!! Worthless #es! A first year mathematics student could do a better job.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join