It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Knives ..... Other Countries.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
For awhile now I have been collecting knives; mostly from the United States as that is my home. I have also bought and used some Chinese / Pakistan / Japanese knives as well; some with great success, some not so much.

I just recently ran into a man that had 2 knives for sale. One was a Condor that I was familiar with; (Pics later on) and one was a Russian knife I had never heard of. Kizylar.

I immediately fell in love with the design, the comfort and the overall look of this little knife.

Super comfortable, nice size at 7.75in overall and a 3.5in blade. The thickness is not listed but I believe it too be 3/16in, just right for that size blade.
The steel is D2 Tool Steel which is extremely tough steel. You can also get it in Stainless. The blade has what they list as a "Black Titanium" coating and very attractive.

Nicely done Micarta Scales and a very well done Kydex, adjustable sheath finish this little baby off....

Retail is just under $100 USD

Along with the Kizylar he had a Condor...

I already own several Condor knives but not this one. (The deal was for both)

This is the "Bushlore" with Micarta scales. Nice little knife with their usual 1075 steel.

Here it is beside my Condor "Rodan"

I really appreciate all the people out there that make handmade knives, I really do. I even own a few. However when I can get 2 knives of this quality for $50 USD!!!!!!! Well.........

Check out the Kizylar website located HERE

Condor Knives website is HERE

I plan on buying more... (Although I am approaching 400 knives and the wife is a little suspicious of where my money is going.. LMAO )

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Sheffield England is the world renowned centre for knife making. Plenty of websites for Sheffield products.

Here is just one.

www.sheffield-trading.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I have one of the Fairbairn Sykes Commando Knives... Nice knife...

Not impressed with the quality however...

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Not sure if you have seen this before, but the show is cool and the guy does a great job of showcasing the skills of the craftsman he encounters.
Check out episode 10.

www.craftsmanslegacy.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

You've got really good taste. Have you seen the RosArms stuff from Russia? I've got a soft spot for Finnish designs and they've got some nice ones.

edit on 12-11-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

As I frequent the area on vacation, I have been buying knives handcrafted by the Cherokee... Beautiful work but expensive..

The blades on the right and left are handmade.. The one in the middle is a Puma..

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I only have a couple knives for home culinary work. I am NOT in anyway knowledgeable on the subject.

However, I fell in love with the art of this mans work when there was a thread posted here not to long ago. The mans name is Bob Kramer and he uses meteorites to create what I consider pieces of art. A little out of my price range though

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have already told the wife what my wish list is this year for Christmas.
Just one of his cheaper production models would be a dream knife for me.

Thanks for the thread, I look forward to learning more on the topic

edit on 11 12 2015 by stosh64 because: added picture

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

Thank you..

I have not seen any RosArms but I will be checking them out

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
400?
You have an addiction my friend.
CONGRATULATIONS!
(even still married! bonus points for that)

I like that first one, nice little blade and firm handle.
Did I ever tell you my engraving shop was in the old EK knife building?
There were design drawings of every model they ever produced laying around.
A former boss of mine also wrote a book on fighting knives.
Have to see if I can look it up.
edit on 12-11-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Anyone not familiar with Boker knives, owes it to themselves to check out their range of blades. Made in Germany since 1869. I passed up one heck of a deal once on a Boker lockback folding hunter from the late 70's or early 80's. Still kicking myself for that years later.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Oh hey, here's a hint. I have an eye for stuff that is about to go collectible. I would keep my eye on the availability and price of Linder knives from Solingen, Germany.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I have a few knives I've inherited from my great uncle most of them are made locally but one knife stood out from the rest. It's My favorite knife I own hands down made by Puma call the White Hunter. It's just a glorious bush knife long thick blade with rib saw its beautiful.

reply to: semperfortis

edit on 12-11-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-11-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I like having a few good knives around as well but I could never quite understand the levels some people's obsession goes to over knives. I am not suggesting the OP has an obsession, but I am thinking of some people I know. There are so many makers of knives it boggles the mind. I have never heard of anyone defending themselves with a knife, either.

I have a few Gerbers and Leatherman tools for BOB purposes. Gerber LMF, Gerber Chameleon, both sizes. Leatherman MUT and Wave tools, a few swiss army knives and whatnot.

Looking for a really good all-around survival type blade - I don't think the LMF is all that great.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: HighDesertPatriot

It is really no different than those who collect Paintings, Sculptures or Coins...

I love knives... The look, the feel, the craftsmanship...

I'm no different than any other collector...

As far as knives being for self defense, that is another thread all together but suffice it too say knives have saved lives...

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Can I show you one from Scotland? I don't know if you'll like it or not. It's a sgian dubh (skee an doo) from the Black Watch, and quite a fancy one:

Check out the tiny wee knife and fork too - we're too stingy to waste the opportunity.

Antique sgian dubh

Here's a more normal one:

Abbeyhorn

Maybe you have something like this already, if you have 400! If not, it's one for your collection.

B x

ETA -you'll be better going to the first link, my tiny pictures came out..too tiny.

edit on 12-11-2015 by beansidhe because: tiny wee!

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Very nice...

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I have a folding knife made in Pakistan. 2 inch blade with a narrow profile. Antler handle and Damascus steel blade. I keep it on my key chain. It has proven to be an amazingly useful tool. I found it in a pawn shop.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
" The knife is one of the most ancient tools in our arsenal, in use for more than 2 million years, longer than modern humans have walked the Earth. It’s evolved alongside us, changing form to meet our needs and demands. Knives help feed us, shelter us, defend us and assure our survival. It’s the most reliable, useful and important tool in human history." Forbes

www.worldknives.com... Representative of about twenty Countries

ragweedforge.com... Excellent knives & very inexpensive

I also have a warm spot for knives. Why not ? They are so dang useful. A few are functional works of Art. Others are capable of chopping apart a TANK ! Well maybe not, but close. Every REAL MAN should carry some type of knife, but again, maybe not

new topics

top topics

join