It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Complaints about atheists.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

You amaze me, how do you know?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Sorry, interrupting again --

I'm just wondering if Ladybug is going to answer actual questions....
does anyone know?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Because I asked
what was learned,
and also
what were the "different stories" that [the OP] had 'heard' about going to church to find people who won't troll you or disagree with you.

Anyway - no matter.

Losing interest anyway.

-

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Because I asked
what was learned,
and also
what were the "different stories" that [the OP] had 'heard' about going to church to find people who won't troll you or disagree with you.

I answered to your question what was learned.

I have no interest in replying to the other question.

edit on 13-11-2015 by Ladybug201 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I just really hope that the OP has recanted her arrogant opinion in the OP that atheists still believe in god. I don't want to read the 14 pages this thread has gone on to find out and I don't remember seeing a message in my "replied to" inbox from her saying that she responded to my post on page 1.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Don't worry the great white monkey will sort him out soon.
All hail the one..the only one..the monkey queen of the universe and my next bride!.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

That reminds me of an episode of Red Dwarf where Lister has to marry the daughter of a tribe leader on a GELF moon....

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Ladybug201

I sure love it when other people tell me what I do and don't believe. Nothing like reading pure arrogance to get my morning started...

This is the post you posted on the first page. Is that the one you want me to reply to? It's called bait

edit on 13-11-2015 by Ladybug201 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Oi my god is as real as any other and has a better story behind it all.
Laser beams monkeys and goat riding...it's all in the upcoming holy book of the monkey.
Only 19.99 from all goid bookstores soon and when she tells me the ending.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

All you said was that your were "arming yourself" or something to that effect, and wished us fare well as we evolved into people who would be nice to proselytizers. Or something like that.

As for the 2nd question - I asked "how about church" and mentioned that it might be right up your alley since you don't want people to argue with you......

and you said, "I've heard different stories."

I asked what stories (or different stories) you had heard. Was wondering what they were "different from" - do you mean relative to one another? You've heard different stories about how supportive churchers are, from churchers? Or, you've heard stories that come out differently in real life than what the churches advertise but don't act on? Or, from what someone else told you about their experience?

That is all. Never mind, then.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

No, actually "faith" means believing something without any evidence.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: scorpio84
a) I was talking about the New Testament understanding of the word.
b) "Believing something without evidence" is an act of trust, is it not? We even use the phrase "taking something on trust". So you're not contradicting me, just offering an example of what I'm talking about.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: scorpio84

I have evidence but only I can see it!!.
(If the Mormon founder can get away with that statement so can I).

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

Yes, exactly. That was my point, the irony of the fact that this disbeliever in the Bible wanted to take it more literally than the believers themselves.

Not really, it's the believers that take the tales in the bible as literal truth, they believe the god exists, the sandle wearing demigod, the entire supernatural side. Whereas the unbeliever may be pointing out the fact that most believers cherry pick what they want to be the truth and discard anything that might be inconvenient or just abhorrent in 2015.

That is pretty much what I was trying to say with my unicorn analogy. Somehow I couldn't find the words - but you did, so thanks.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

[

We even use the phrase "taking something on trust"

Wait...wait.

No. In my experience it's "take it [take something as true] [based ONLY] on faith."

Or entering into a 'gentlemen's agreement' without lawyers and judges - and you negotiate a contract, with no recourse, "in good faith."

Difference there. IMO.

edit on 11/13/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

If you mean that for an atheist and a theist to have a discussion, they both have to have faith - then we don't agree. However, I don't think you would say that an atheist needs to believe in God to argue with a theist, so what trust needs to be established? Faith may be an act of trust, but not all trust is rooted in faith

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I've certainly heard the expression "taking on trust" with reference to things that have been said.
"That's what she told us. Nobody else saw what happened, so we'll just have to take it on trust".

If you have heard "take on faith" where I have heard "take on trust", that rather confirms my own point, that they are the same thing.
("Acting in good faith" is more about being trustable. The New Testament word "faithful" can be taken either way, according to context; the one who trusts or the one who makes himself trustable).

P.S And as I said to the other feller, this

No. In my experience it's "take it [take something as true] [based ONLY] on faith."

is an act of trust, is it not? QED. If you believe what someone says, especially if you do it without further evidence, then you are trusting them.

P.P.S Roget's Thesaurus offers "take on trust" as one of the synonyms for the verb "believe" (category 484).
I knew I hadn't made it up.

edit on 13-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: scorpio84
If you mean that for an atheist and a theist to have a discussion, they both have to have faith

I did not say that. My original point was only that absolute proof was not going to be available, so an atheist is not going to get into theism without, at some point, an act of trust.

However, I don't think you would say that an atheist needs to believe in God to argue with a theist, so what trust needs to be established?

Listen, I have been in that position. I have been that atheist arguing with a theist. My own experience was that the turning-point came when I decided to commit myself to God in trust.

How an atheist became a Christian

edit on 13-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Faith is never ridiculous.

That attitude towards faith is precisely why it's ridiculous. Now matter how absurd the beliefs are you simply have faith it somehow makes sense on some grand level you cannot yet perceive.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

ok you win.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join