It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curse Of Oak Island

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: samkent
a reply to: CIAGypsy

I'm sure this "technology" was nothing groundbreaking to anyone in the 17th century.....even in the New World.

Irrigating a field with a mule is one thing.
But pumping a tunnel with water and mud flowing 24/7 is a different matter.

You don't try to go through that just to hide a treasure.
But you do bury the treasure 6 feet down inland and tell them it's 100 feet down on an island.

And yet, they did dig a hole 100 feet down. The team has been pulling up pieces of hand-cut beams from that depth in the last few episodes. If you're going to go thru all that effort, why not simply bury the treasure (or whatever) at the bottom of your 100-foot pit?

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Haven't you Figured it Out by Now , there is No Treasure.............

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

The treasure is advertising dollars.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: samkent
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

The treasure is advertising dollars.

Sure, the show is injecting dollars into the project, and allowed the Laginas to go big. But the project is not dependent upon the show. The brothers would still be engaged in the search without it. I have this directly from a member of the team.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I think there is a misunderstanding that people watching this all think there is a great treasure down there or that it matters. The interest of the show for me at least is that something went on down there and that much is not disputed. Human bones from 100 feet down, early European book binding, pottery, hand-hewn timbers, and it's all being handled as an archaeological dig.

The slipway, U-shaped structure, etc, are all real and interesting things. If you don't find it interesting, then don't watch. I find it interesting that people will take their own valuable time to criticize how others find enjoyment. Who is really wasting time there, lol?

Sure the show is an over-dramatized thing done for profit (pro-tip: all shows are). Trust me. nobody wants to watch the reality of archaeology without some cookies added in. The nice thing is you can watch this show in about 5 minutes by skipping the filler.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede
The interest of the show for me at least is that something went on down there and that much is not disputed. Human bones from 100 feet down, early European book binding, pottery, hand-hewn timbers, and it's all being handled as an archaeological dig.

Truth is that only some of it is being handled as archaeology. They have a licence to hunt for the treasure. But so many of their activities are being conducted in the material culture equivalent of a tossed salad, which doesn't require a site-specific archaeological permit. The Oak Island Act calls for them to hire an archaeologist to monitor their activities. However, when they find structures and/or features in an undisturbed context, that's when the archaeologist goes to work. And each site requires a separate permit.

I PVR the show and watch it with one hand on the remote to FF through the redundant bits and commercials. I've been known to say that each episode is a half/hour of great TV.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede
I think there is a misunderstanding that people watching this all think there is a great treasure down there or that it matters. The interest of the show for me at least is that something went on down there and that much is not disputed. Human bones from 100 feet down, early European book binding, pottery, hand-hewn timbers, and it's all being handled as an archaeological dig.

The slipway, U-shaped structure, etc, are all real and interesting things. If you don't find it interesting, then don't watch. I find it interesting that people will take their own valuable time to criticize how others find enjoyment. Who is really wasting time there, lol?

Sure the show is an over-dramatized thing done for profit (pro-tip: all shows are). Trust me. nobody wants to watch the reality of archaeology without some cookies added in. The nice thing is you can watch this show in about 5 minutes by skipping the filler.

That's it exactly

Someone put an almost insane amount of effort into building a shaft, flood tunnels, and even an artificial swamp on this tiny little island on what was then a very remote & desolate colony. And they did it with 18th-Century technology.

What I want to know is: Why???

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
Someone put an almost insane amount of effort into building a shaft, flood tunnels, and even an artificial swamp on this tiny little island on what was then a very remote & desolate colony. And they did it with 18th-Century technology.
What I want to know is: Why???

There is apparently a similar set-up in the Caribbean...a pirate vault...but I don't recall the details. I'll check back in what I consider to be the definitive book on the subject, written by Randall Sullivan. The Curse of Oak Island is done in a journalistic manner, not all breathless (or loony). I think he discusses it there. I recommend it, even though I don't necessarily agree with all of his conclusions.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:50 AM
link   
If anyone seen the finale, I can guarantee that the treasure, aka the money pit will never, never, never be found. Ever.

Why? Marty dropped modern $2 coin in "H8" hole and found the $2 coin in "RF-1" 2 years later. Meaning the underground has moved 10 feet. In that case, the money pit could've move 1,000 feet in 200 years - aka 1795 money pit. Its gone in ocean in deepwater underground. What about earthquake in past centuries that can affect the soil movement...?

They are considering doing a BIG dig, 80-100 feet diameter with concrete wall.

100' diameter might not even worth it because the money pit might have moved much more than 500 feet. I hope I am 100% wrong and I want them to find the money pit.

edit on 4-5-2020 by whiteblack because: Text corrected

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I am a fan of this series, been watching seen it started, I seen one before about Inca or mayan gold, forgot the name, the people actually found the treasure behind some waterfalls in South America under water, but on the finale they had to call authorities before they could get any of the gold out and also needed protection.

Now the same crew are on the treasure of Snake Island.

In this series of Oak Island I believe they will find treasure, how much I am no sure, but the real treasure is the historical facts that has emerged from the Island itself during the research.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: whiteblack

You’re right, these guys have found nothing. They have these trinkets they think are so great but that’s about it.
Do these treasure hunters ever think that maybe whoever buried the treasure in the first place went and dug it up and kept it themselves? And didn't advertise that they took it. Why should they?

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

What historical facts have they found?

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

You’re right, these guys have found nothing.

They have found evidence that something massive was done there, and they have been able to apply dates to some of this activity. They have not found indications that whatever was buried, was removed. Try not to blame the History Channel format for what really is a ripping good tale.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   

They should keep doing cans till that one thing comes up.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Exactly. Who knows if anything is still down there but if it is and they find it that would be one hell of a find. It's only been 225 year for Pete's sake.

I checked out that book on Amazon. It's free right now in audio format and I may get my sis to get that and check it out that way. She doesn't know anything about it, never heard of it until a few weeks ago when we were talking tv shows. She's the one with the Amazon Prime account. Might get a little boring to listen to in some parts(they dug a hole here, they dug a hole there, etc.) but seems like a decent read(listen in this case).

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

You’re right, these guys have found nothing. They have these trinkets they think are so great but that’s about it.
Do these treasure hunters ever think that maybe whoever buried the treasure in the first place went and dug it up and kept it themselves? And didn't advertise that they took it. Why should they?

Money pit or no money pit. They are already re-written history. I find this fascinating. I will keep watching this Oak Island series. They might find something else.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=25158480]whiteblack and everyone, heads up: A few days ago our family saw an ad on cable TV for the Fall 2020 new season of The Curse of Oak Island. So perhaps the new season will begin later In September 2020.

I was starting to wonder if they would have to delay filming until 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. But apparently they found a way to keep on digging (and filming) this year. Cool.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Almost time for another season of endless nails, spikes, buttons, and more wood...

Why, oh why do I continue to watch this show?

posted on Sep, 19 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

where is this

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Saw a very brief teaser for the upcoming season. They are claiming to have "solved the mystery" and show Gary Drayton with a gold nugget.

Hmmm.....

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join