It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Are They Now: Lorena Bobbitt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Of all the things people have done to garner 15 minutes of fame. Lorena Bobbitt has to rank in the top 5. Her story divided a nation, and caused every man in America to wince at the mention of her name. If you're unfamiliar with the John and Lorena Bobbitt case, see the link for details, if you dare.

In the following humorous clip, Steve Harvey does a short interview with Lorena, on his "Where are they now: Lovers who lost it" segment. Lorena now has a family, and says her husband is good to her, and never brings up the incident. I can't imagine why. To her credit, she founded an organization to help abused women and children, called "Lorena's Red Wagon". However one may feel about Lorena, or her story. She has come through her ordeal with a good sense of humor, and has done something constructive to help others. I just hope her husband keeps her away from sharp objects.

edit on 11/11/2015 by Klassified because: add word

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I feel strangely uncomfortable with the laughter and warm sorts of emotions coming from the audience.
Would they act that way if it was OJ being interviewed?
Heck, this has probably already happened with OJ.
The world is mad. Or I am. Whichever whatever.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I feel strangely uncomfortable with the laughter and warm sorts of emotions coming from the audience.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who felt a little of that. I thought it was just me.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

This woman does not deserve the negative assumptions people make about her character.

I have known victims of abuse, and some of them become so crushed that they cannot escape, react or respond to threat anymore, other than to bow their heads and accept what comes to them. She proved that she could not be broken, and whatever ones opinion of her methods, she did it in uncompromising and stunningly effective fashion. She reminded people that there is always another option.

When someone shoots a thug dead in the street during a botched mugging, people understand. When someone shoots a home invader in the face to protect their young, their spouse, and their own lives, we understand. Moments of threat, mere seconds, and we understand the need, the desperate need to end a life to protect our own. But when someone suffers mind numbing levels of abuse and danger for an extended period, we tend to assume bad things about them, when they react in a physical and violent manner. I fail to understand that attitude.

When someone is abused, their abuser should expect to be slaughtered at some point, butchered, their innards ransacked and scattered about their abode with abandon, because compared to the abuse suffered by their victims over the course of years, even the bloodiest of retribution seems weak, lacking the correct gravitas to fit the crime done to them. There ARE people out there, who by their actions prove that they do not deserve our compassion, our concern, our understanding. John Bobbitt is such a man, but his ex wife is not, regardless of her act of literal dismemberment of her former spouse.

She is a woman made of stern stuff, and her new husband is obviously a man of similar fortitude. I wish them both the greatest of luck, and I hope that the John Bobbitts of the world always meet a woman like Lorena from here on in, if they must be allowed to walk amongst us at all.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Good post, TB. I too, have had some experience with victims of abuse, as well as their abusers. I don't think any of us can truly understand what these people have gone through, unless we experience it ourselves. I refer to abusers as terrorists, and often feel they should be treated as such.

I think the biggest problem with these stories for the public, is the inability to separate fact from fiction, because the media sensationalizes the hell out of them, and portrays an unbalanced and perverted representation of the "facts", leaving us to wonder if we ever got the truth. The movie, "The burning bed" comes to mind. Based on the true story of Francine Hughes, and what she suffered at the hands of her abuser.

Statistically speaking, the likelihood either of these women lied is low.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Well the abuse that she suffered was awful and while nobody obviously condones this kind of violence, you can at least understand it.

He's lucky she didn't kill him.

Nobody would even know her name had she ended his life.... but cut off his penis and she's hated by some!!

new topics

top topics

join