It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama - LGBT "Ally of the Year" - OUT Magazine Cover

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Obama has been working with and advising LGBT students since 1978. In 2012, Obama, himself, "came out" as a supporter of same-sex marriage, even though in 1996, he said that he supported marriage equality. He apparently went 'back into the closet' on that for his presidential election, no doubt fearing that it was too progressive a stance to take for the POTUS.

But now, not only did he repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", he signed the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act and has placed many LGBT people in his administration.

OUT Magazine LGBT 'Ally of the Year': Barack Obama

President Barack Obama's stance on LGBT issues has landed him on the cover of OUT magazine's OUT100 issue as "Ally of the Year."
Obama said his mother's teachings that "every person was of equal worth" inspired his interest in focusing on LGBT rights during his administration, and thanked his openly gay Occidental professor and eventual friend, Dr. Lawrence Goldyn, for directly influencing the way he continues to think about all of these issues.
"I had hesitated on gay marriage, in part, because I thought civil unions would be sufficient," Obama told ABC's Robin Roberts. "I was sensitive to the fact that -- for a lot of people -- that the word marriage is something that provokes very powerful traditions and religious beliefs."

edit on 11/11/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Ally of the year? Does this imply that those who do not support the movement are enemies? I never saw the LGBT community as enemies. Do they see me this way, because I do not share their ideology?

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
Ally of the year? Does this imply that those who do not support the movement are enemies? I never saw the LGBT community as enemies. Do they see me this way, because I do not share their ideology?

Who said anything about enemies??? And what ideology do you not share?

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Of course some on the internet will have a field day with this.

edit on 11/11/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Well, it looks like it's a story of freedom, tolerance and acceptance. But then, using words like 'Ally' adds connotations of war and division. I didn't realise it was a game of sides, but that's how it came across to me. Guess if I'm not part of, or do not support the LGBT community, I'm not seen as an ally. So, what am I?

Before we break out the buzzwords, I do not hate LGB's or T's. I just do not support it. It seems to me, we're expected to either be all in or all out. No middle ground. We're to pick a side.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

How is this confusing you? My spouse is my ally. So are my friends. You have allies. It does not mean everybody else is an enemy.

In their case, if you vote in their interests and support rights, you are an ally. If you actively speak out against civil rights and vote against equality, you are an opponent. Everybody else is neutral. Not that complicated.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It's about time Obama came out. I always knew Michelle was a man.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Before we break out the buzzwords, I do not hate LGB's or T's. I just do not support it. It seems to me, we're expected to either be all in or all out. No middle ground. We're to pick a side.

I don't care if you pick a side or not. There are MANY issues I don't pick a side on. If you don't support equal rights for LGBT people, that's your choice. That's freedom for you.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Is that all you do? just make hateful ignorant derogatory statements on GLBTQ+ related topics?

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

I'm not confused. My point is, the wording seems to have been selected as a means of seperation. It's being used to create teams. Wanna be on team 'Ally'? Obama is. Don't miss the train.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I can't think of a person with more influence than obama that has done more for the lbgt cause.
That is actually an example of an award going to the right individual.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

*sigh*

If you could only understand how ridiculous that is and how absurd it sounds.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I'm all for equal rights they are arranged for in the Constitution. I'd say this award is far more deserved than the Nobel Peace prize he should never of received.

It's a pity politicians need to lie to get elected.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I'm not confused. My point is, the wording seems to have been selected as a means of seperation. It's being used to create teams. Wanna be on team 'Ally'? Obama is. Don't miss the train.

Well it wasn't. The word "ally" has a definition. People use it in everyday language to label those who support us. It is not combative, it is not separating. There is nothing adversarial about the wording unless you insist on finding adversity in every instance of the word "ally".

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Is that all you do? just make hateful ignorant derogatory statements on GLBTQ+ related topics?

No, I make hateful, ignorant, derogatory statements about other topics as well. You should check them out.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Whoopty frick! Great for those people, but......Obama hasn't done a damn thing for me!

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

No, I make hateful, ignorant, derogatory statements about other topics as well. You should check them out.

BWAHAHAHA, yea....you do; but I guess the GLBTQ bunch think they should some how be magically exempt from your hateful ignorant derogatory statements.

Must be the rainbows and the Unicorns or something.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Oh, it wasn't? Well, that's that sorted then.

You've already stated that your options are (obviously) to ally, to oppose or to remain neutral. Well, that's 3 degrees of seperation by your own admission. We already have 3 camps here. My non-support excludes me from being an ally, which I one day might have been. That's seperation, proliferated by the careful selection of wording. These word games and subconscious inceptions aren't new. Media does it all the time. Rich vs poor, white vs black, gay vs straight.

I think the question is, in this case, is it intentional?

You say no, I say yes.

We are seperated by labels and categories and this wording helps perpetuate that, I think, by design. Serving to further alienate those who are not 'allied'.

I don't think I can explain my suspicion any clearer than that. It may be better just to assume I read too much into things. Might even be crazy. But I bet I'm not the only one that saw this as a divisive tactic.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

It may be better just to assume I read too much into things. ... But I bet I'm not the only one that saw this as a divisive tactic.

I'm definitely going to assume you're reading too much into this word. If you don't support LGBT people, you're not an ally and therefore might be a little bothered by the word.

IF you generally support equal civil rights, gender equality, LGBT social movements, and challenge homophobia, then you're an ally.

IF you don't, you're not - Own your position and be proud of it.

No need to take offense at the word - It's been used in this context for many years. Just like someone who supports equal rights for women is called a "feminist". You don't have to be offended or concerned about the word.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Yup...he lied to get into office and then did whatever he wanted. Isn't that nice and professional. Lying to get a job and then doing the opposite of what you were hired to do. One of the big problems with government is that we can't simply fire them for not doing their job or lying about their qualifications and management style.

THAT should be fixed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join