It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open-Plan Offices

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I work for a large multi-national corporation (with over 100,000 people) which has recently decided to switch to what is commonly known as an "open-plan" office layout. This is a scheme where offices and cubes are replaced by flat work surfaces with no dividers and lots of small 'conversation rooms' and 'landing zones'. Stranger still, there are no seat assignments; you sit where a spot is available (like grade school). Many of you may know what I am referring to, or maybe even work in one yourself. By the way, this is not a high production / small unit environment, but a very technical engineering type environment where concentration is key.

I personally am not affected by the change (because I don't work from one of the main offices), but many are and they are extremely upset by the coming changes. Though I am not affected, I do have a couple observations which I believe are very much conspiracy related.

There are numerous studies out there which point out the negative effects of going to an open-plan office layout. Productivity drops, stress increases, sick time increases and personnel retention drops. Yet despite these negatives more and more companies are moving toward this type of an approach. It has become a 'trend' if you will. The immediate up-side of this approach (and usually the stated reason) is cost savings, but I think there's more to it than that...a lot more.

It seems to me when a company goes to a plan like this they have some other, more subtle and sinister, goals in mind. I think the real goals are to:

1. Homogenize the office workforce down to a common denominator (regardless if that is the lowest common denominator). To create a herd of sheep if you will.

2. Drive up stress intentionally to increase employee separation (despite the fact you might be losing your best people, not the hangers-on).

3. Reduce individual self-worth so people will expect, and be willing to receive, less.

To me it seems like a thinly veiled and selfish attempt by a bunch of faceless upper level executives and board members trying to make their profit projections (and resulting bonuses) by eeking the last one quarter of a cent anywhere they can...and this isn't even the really sinister part. It's like companies who adopt these approaches have something bigger in mind, something very much akin to 'Big Brother' where there is a very conscious, almost overt, effort by the 'Inner Party' to demand the 'Outer Party' force everyone else into accepting they are nothing more than 'Proles'.

The next step is to turn off the air con and heaters.

This is just an Agenda 21 implementation stage. Mauirce Strong the main man behind Agenda 21, who just happens to be worth $44 Billion, said that heating and coolling in offices is just not sustainable and it has to go.

cheers

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
With all due respect, I think the responses to this thread overlook what is possibly *the* most widespread, dehumanizing, and down-right evil conspiracy impacting corporate America today.

No, I don't mean the Illuminati, the Free Masons, the Banks, or Them...there's a much more evil and wide-reaching group out there...the Management Consultants. They will say, do, and present PowerPoint slides in support of *anything*, no matter how outlandish, in order to justify their existence, and their astronomical fees.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I believe all of your speculations. Big corporations do not care about people... AT ALL. If there is a way to demean them so they are less opinionated and are able to take on more work with less question, they will do it. If the employees do not like it, they can leave and even more lowered self-esteem people can come in to take their places. Corporations follow work guidelines (clean environment, safety, etc) but barely, just enough to be legal. All they want is to size down and manipulate in order to make the most money possible without being illegal. That is their goal.

I work for one and see this first hand. I am finding that we now have co-workers over-seas. I would not be surprised if my job adopted this floor plan... AT ALL. I guess I could leave and find a new job, that is my only choice if I don't like it.

edit on 12-11-2015 by veracity because: hi

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I just watched the following video and remembered reading this thread yesterday. I thought that you might find it of interest.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It is very common here in Houston. I worked for a company a few years back that switched to open office. Not only were there no cubicle walls but all of the managers offices had glass walls and doors. There was no privacy what so ever, you basically had to put your earphones on to try to concentrate. They also had a lot of rules - could only have so many photos at your desk, couldn't eat at your desk, use your cell..it was really degrading.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join