It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selecting a New Desktop PC on a budget, Dell, Apple, Asus?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
This thread is for those who are strickly PC techs and H/C gamers due to the nature of the thread itself and my personal need to come up with a solution fairly quickly. I'm a gamer but been out of the industry coming up on 2 years; giving this, technology has probably nearly doubled when I last built my ex-wifes PC 4 years ago.

I don't want to get into of why I shoudln't build my own PC, I can build one and have. Onward.

HELP a BROTHER OUT! LOL

So, this is for a small non-profit business PC that is extremly outdated (128mb of RAM on the Video card...I kid you not!!) and the software and task we wish to perform is becoming outdated extremely quickly.

What we have currently is a Dell, not a bad machine but, I'm not a big fan of pre-builds due to the bloatware installed on them; I'm here to help suggest to the leadership of the business I'm volunteering for of what would be the best choice given the amount of projects we want to accomplish which is:

~Video and audio editing and processing
~using a projection system
~uploading and streaming of video online

The budget is between $800.00-1000.00 ($1,500.00 max, that's pushing it)

I'm at serious odds here of what company to suggest to purchase from i.e, Asus, Dell, Gateway (which I've heard are now crap), I won't touch an HP if my life depended on it. I literally spent 6 hours scouring the web and come up with some great sites but I have never personally owned a big name PC before and therefore have zero knowledge of their support system or otherwise.

I'm a gamer and the only thing idea I came up with is a mid-level DESKTOP 'gaming' system with:

~Processor: CORE i7 (due to it's power and functionality)
~RAM: 16GB of RAM
~Video Card: 2GB V-Card,
~HDD: 2TB HD (SSD would be new to me as I've never owned one, but would love to have one)
~MB: ????? ugh..my ex-wife has an awesome AsRock mobo and still fully functional.
~OS: Win7 Only if at all

Best tech support is high on the list due to the nature of the business, if this PC goes down, it will be crucial to get it repaired or replaced ASAP!!! Like TOMORROW or within 3 days!

Guys, I need you to shred this out with me please as if it was you in my shoes, your job depends on it. ...no joke.

Thx and much appreciated with any suggestion you might have .. brainstorm this! if you will, agree to disagree but who knows what we can share or find out.

~Komodo

PS: I'm seriously shying away from Apple since most here know about Windows more than Apple and we do not have the time to spend on learning that OS right now, nothing personal against Apple, it's a time factor.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Nvm, reader error. S&F though.
edit on 11/11/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I'd suggest Digital Storm Vanquish 4 desktop @ digitalstorm.com. I purchased the Apollo level 3 a while ago and the best comp i've ever had. The Vanquish is the cheapest at $900.00

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Komodo

For what it's worth, I'm a retired CAD instructor so the applications I use need a lot of RAM. I'm friends with a lot of the IT people from where I worked. So when I retired and needed to purchase a desktop computer at home, they all recommended ASUS. I didn't want to spend more than 1,200 on the computer. The IT guy who's a cracker jack when it comes to computers, recommended the ASUS G20AJ Series.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I'm familiar with OS X. I'm also familiar with Linux. I can help in that department.

If you plan on this being a gaming box then your PC should be Windows.

If not, I would recommend OS X or Linux.

I'll let others help you with hardware. I'm a software guy.

~Video and audio editing and processing
~using a projection system
~uploading and streaming of video online

Mac Pro will handle this beautifully, but you pay a pretty penny for it. Fortunately, the OS [which is Unix] is rock solid.

Cost wise nothing will beat a custom built PC with Windows or Linux. I can't stand Windows..

Do you already have the video/audio software? Or are you looking to buy?
edit on 11-11-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Any apple laptop I've bought has lasted years and also had great warranties and customer support. Never had a problem with them and the only time I did, I got a replacement within a week. I'd never go back to a PC. Once you go mac you'll never go back. I bought my first MacBook on eBay and just replaced the battery and it lasted over 5 years. Never had that reliability with PC laptops.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Mac is a PC but I know what you meant, and I agree ^_^

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   

As you mention video & gaming, I'd suggest a reasonable GPU, don't skimp on it. Avoid the bleeding edge, though, if you are on a budget.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Asrock is good as a MOBO.
Don't bother with an SSD if you want to keep the price down.
Your processor is where you want to spend the cash. Go above i7 if you can.
8gb Ram is fine.
GFX card is your second priority expense wise. Buy high end.
Win 7 is good.

A crazy person would go anywhere an apple computer for gaming... My god.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Just a quick clarification.
Don't buy a dell or anything like that.
Choose the components yourself and put the computer together.
If you don't know how to do that, most computer stores will allow you to pick and choose your preferred components and they will charge you a fee to put it all together for you.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

A crazy person would go anywhere an apple computer for gaming... My god.

No one was recommending that.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Well the op stated that they were 'shying away' from it. I was agreeing.
You gonna make a little post stating the obvious again?

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I always find it more satisfying to build my own system. I never like "factory" built computer because they have extra software included that I do not see the need to use. Another reason to build your own is. You know exactly what has been installed, and can properly be able to repair and upgrade as needed.
Build it yourself for the simple joy of knowing you can do something some people cannot do.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
To be honest your best bet is to build your own. Do some reading up online and start buying components. Not only is it cheaper to build your own but you can make it exactly how you want it for your needs. I been building my own desktop computers since about 13 years old and I've always been happy with them.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

When I need a stable rock solid system I start with the foundation.
intel extreme series motherboard

The point of failure for most consumer products are the capacitors. My Extreme Series has solid-state caps and is 9 years old as I type. I have 23 of the boards in the field. I haven't lost a one in the 9 years. Actually a teacher ripped the front USB ports out of her case causing half of the USB ports to fail.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
My last 3 purchases for a computer ended up being ASUS due to their high value and good reliability. I like the AMD A-10 series CPU because of the graphics cores on the same die as the multi-core CPS sharing cashe and memory.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Yes, We use Asus in many builds due to the fact Intel discontinued their economy boards. Please no MSI...

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
For a branded computer, my suggestion would be a Dell XPS or an Optiplex. Pack as much into it as your budget allows. Although I highly recommend SSD over mechanical hard drives, they also drive your cost through the roof.

If you have the option over a retail machine. Build one. You sound like you have the understanding and know how. The advantage to the company is better quality parts, non-proprietary, and you know exactly what is in that machine. Use WD Black drives instead of SSD's. And remember. Backups, backups, backups.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

SSHD is a great blend of SSD and physical. I am about to buy 20 for a lab.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

I like ASUS as well but OP should be warned that ASUS customer service is pretty bare bones.

<<   2 >>

join