It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting Charged At By Horses

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

As he galloped towards me I had time to realise I had to stand my ground or I'd never be able to handle him.

Then there was that moment when potential impact was two seconds away and the thought crossed my mind . . .

"Have I made the right decision?"

edit on 11 1 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Were you also having your arms up and waving them in a ward off manner?

That's usually enough even for the most stubborn ones....though exceptions to every rule.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

I was standing stock still with the head collar and lead rope in my right hand ready to whip his face. As he closed in I started moving my right hand back and my left foot forward, he leapt and kicked then went around me and back up for another go.

A disabled female friend found herself being threatened by a bull. She spun her walking stick like a propeller and made a loud burring noise. The bull backed off confused. She was pleased with her inventiveness.

One time an aggressive gelding jumped a hedge and tried to get to a horse that was being ridden by a novice. I was between them carrying a baby in a sling. As the horse barged at us I stamped my foot three times. The horse froze, I approached him carefully and led him back up to the farmyard. I was terrified the baby would get harmed but it worked out OK.

Three horses escaped from a place I worked. As they ran down towards the main road a neighbour came out and scared them back up the road. Unfortunately a Land Rover towing a trailer full of sheep was coming down the road. The first two horses went either side and the third ran straight into the Land Rover.

Thinking it over it must be because we were at the start of a long, close, working relationship I didn't wave my arms or try to scare him off. It was him testing me out and I had to show how it was going to be. The only time I've been threatened with being ridden over by a psycho rider I immediately had my coat ready to flick in the horses face. Fortunately the rider had the sense to back off.

If this kid got charged by a horse he'd just wrestle it to the ground.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I've been charged by horses, but have always found that they can be turned away with the right attitude.

Sometimes you just have to have a confidence in yourself that isn't really realistic.

I haven't been charged by a stallion, because they often understand this principle and have the same crazy sort of confidence that can be suicidal. That's how you become the alpha of a herd.
I choose not to work with any stallion that is not well broke, personally.

I have dealt with some really aggressive and dangerous mares though, who I preferred to have something in hand when around- a lasso, lead rope, lunge whip, or dressage stick.

I have never had to actually use these things for contact, just as a warning. Like your friend with the cane.

More sensitive horses will back off with a stern look in the eye, or subtle body lunge their direction.

I remember my first few years, when it would sometimes occur that when I entered the field, the whole herd (7) would see me from afar and come running towards me at high speed. The ground would shake and it would really scare me. It wasn't long before I learn how well they can come to a stop, and that they always did, even if it was two inches from me.

But it is still the sort of thing that makes the unexperienced observers stop breathing. I always feel a bit judgmental towards the people who will take advantage of that and impress newbies without explaining to them it is nothing special.
I have a friend who loves to act all cocky in front of inexperienced people (especially women) and give them the idea that he just did something extraordinary.

He also has a horse that he trained to do spanish steps and rear on command, which leaves them absolutely breathless, not knowing how easy it is to train that (and that that horse cannot be ridden, as he rears everywhere and flips backward).

I saw a comment yesterday on a dressage video, where someone wrote, "Wow! It is amazing how that horse could memorize all the steps to that whole dance and do it so well!"

I guess they thought the rider was there just for looks...??

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join