It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale Students Are Protesting Over an Email Sent to the Student Body on Halloween

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

So they don't want students wearing slutty costumes or people dressing as Jared from Subway with a child dummy strapped to their hip. I get it, this is Yale after all. Rules are rules. Was this even a rule or just a polite suggestion? Either way, I thought her letter was fine, no better than fine, great. The fact these kids are trying to kick them out of their home just shows you how spoiled they are.

If this letter was just a suggestion then these Yale babies are some of the worst people. Hopefully they'll never end up in the politics or run any corporation.

Reading her letter, I realize I suck at the English language.
edit on 9-11-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
How ironic. Kids that were asked to look at a subject through an intellectual lens at UNIVERSITY protest that an adult tried to teach them something.

I'd hate to be at University in today's environment. A bunch of spoiled, entitled brats that can't handle being made to THINK for themselves.

We have the most advanced access to information in the history of mankind, and are putting out the dumbest graduating class at all levels of education.

Remember when protests at Universities used to accomplish things like Civil Rights, Equal access to education, and many other things that actually matter.

University students used to face down soldiers with guns for what they believed in, and changed history. Now, students are likely to hold a mass protest because someone served Mexican food in the cafeteria.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: seagull

Then they become OWS protesters and vote for Bernie to teach us all a lesson for being evil and greedy and denying the brilliance they so obviously possess and we fail to recognize ... or simply being racist.

Bernie? Nah, I bet most, if not all, of those babies love Trump.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Bernie? Nah, I bet most, if not all, of those babies love Trump.

By reading your two posts I think maybe you misread what was going on (I apoligize if I am wrong).

An email got sent out suggesting people not to wear culturally inappropriate outfits, like a head dress to be an Indian.

Then a woman who is a professor and lives with students sent out a second email that said she sympathized with not wanting to hurt peoples feelings for dressing up in "offensive" outfits, but questioned rather or not the school should censor students.

The students went bezerk on this woman because she allowed people to dress like Indains or Mulan, etc. So these students are crazy politically correct people that want this woman and her husband fired or removed because she slightly disagreed with them.

I would guarantee you that not one of these politically correct students would vote for Trump.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Oh no, I got it all, well except whether this was an enforced rule or just a friendly letter. Politically correct students wouldn't be chastising this woman over political correctness because she she is also politically correct. The students doing this are spoiled rick kids, well I would dare say most of them are if not all.

edit on 9-11-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Perhaps the Ivy League schools are not doing the job anymore. I have always found them to be overrated; their graduates often expect to be immediately placed in positions of leadership because of where they graduated from and not what they can do. Of course, all of them have impressive QPA's because they are who they are and expect it. Harvard has started rationing "A" grades because someone realized that everyone getting "A"s in most courses was not a good discriminator. I have found that, more often than not, graduates of schools with lesser reputations are more capable, work harder, and do not feel privileged.
About 30 years ago, I hired a PhD chemical engineer from a big name Ivy school. He was assigned an R&D project that required him to actually work. His reports to the group consisted of whining about not having enough technician support for his project. His big problem was that he was unable to direct the technician that was provided. Not only could he not do the job, he couldn't even tell someone else what to do. I looked into his education and found it lacking in many ways. The course requirements were minimal and his knowledge base was deep but abysmally narrow. Anytime a problem was the least bit out of his skillset, he merely whined and did not attempt to solve it. Further investigation revealed that his education was mainly following directions from his professor and having things done for him. Any necessary analyses were completed by technicians and conclusions reported to him. He had no idea how to use common instrumentation and interpret the results because he was never required to do so. He had no idea even what instrumentation to use because he had always been told what to do by his professor.
Since that time, I have generally avoided the Ivies and don't miss the hand holding, coddling, and exasperation at inadequate capabilities.
As to free speech, many private colleges that are not state affiliated are far more likely to allow new ideas without PC getting in the way as they do not answer to political folk.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

ohhh ok, the students are crazy politically correct...

I thought the girl was mad the lecturer was suggesting what is appropriate and what is inappropriate.

hmmmm, hahah, that girl is in for a rude awakening when she gets dumped out into the real world.

Now i see why people are afraid it's the start of some big media push to sensor free speech.

No, this is just a dumb, stuck up little girl who's daddy has never told her no before. There is only 20 people there to support her. She made a fool of herself arguing like that, now most people think she looks like an idiot.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If my child ever wanted to apply to one of these schools, I would both try to talk them out of it and hope that they didn't get accepted.

To anyone paying attention to the real world, all of these Ivy League schools have become caricatures of what real education is--they're living in the shadow of their once former (and well-earned) esteem, but that shadow is slowly shrinking away. Pretty soon, they'll have nothing to hide behind, and they will become obsolete as places that the best and brightest dream of attending.

The email was spot on--I won't be sending my child off to college because I want it to be its babysitter and moral compass. That should already be instilled by that point.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
this is also what happens when no "kids" are afraid of getting their @rse kicked.

#ThroatPunchThursday over #ThrowBackThursday

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Now what on earth makes you say such things against the little darlings of today's Campuses?

edit on pm1130pmTue, 10 Nov 2015 15:33:02 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

will be following..

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
For anyone who ever dreamed of going to Yale, but thought they couldn't because they weren't smart enough-consider the fact that these guys made it in.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Sounds to me like the students protesting this teachers email are exercising their free speech to me.

I don't agree with their protests, but they have the right to be "offended". Who am I to declare someone should or shouldn't be offended?

We "should" on people to much. People "should" on us too. We "should" on our friends, we "should" on our neighbors, we "should" on our children well into adulthood. Pretty soon we're all covered in "should", and yet we keep flinging that "should" at one another.

I read her email, and I think it's a good email, and she makes a good point -- but at the same time, it's not my place to look down my nose at those who took offense (mistakenly I believe). I can't force anyone to think or feel a certain way. It's simply not my place. The only person I have control over is me. My thoughts, my feelings, my actions.

This "special snowflake" sydrome is a symptom of a very deep and troubling trend in America. I've said it many times, and even broken it down into detail in many threads. People feel disenfranchised, unheard, unloved, unimportant -- we feel faceless in our society. We're more connected than ever before through our technology, yet studies show that depression and feelings of loneliness are still very high.

Our social media encourages narcissism and Western culture fetishizes material objects over human interaction. We're obsessed and brainwashed by "the rat race" and exhibiting all kinds of anti-community behaviors in a bid to somehow achieve/gain some imaginary goal that we've been told we want.

Fighting back against the dehumanizing values that are being handed down to use through our culture, we're regressing. People are begining to act childish and infantile. It is my belief that when we feel dehumanized, abandoned, neglected, forgotten, and not listened to -- we begin to behave as children, children having a temper tantrum. Children know how to get attention by crying and making themselves into victims to gather sympathy. Children also are very good about gratifying their egos, and expect everything NOW.

Look around, we want everything NOW -- we live to gratify our egos through material possessions, drugs, alcohol (alcohol now kills one in ten working aged Americans according to the CDC) -- we behave in attention-seeking ways and make ourselves out to be victims ... that sure sounds like adults behaving as children to me.

So while I've been able to describe the symptoms and the reasons behind them -- I don't have a good prescription on how to achieve a concrete solution. I will say that not allowing your culture to define you can go a long way -- don't allow yourself to become a cultural meme of the society you live in -- strive for better.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

We don't use the S word in this house.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'm sort of hoping for a return of McCarthyism, we must root these insidious traitors out.

You wouldn't see the children of the ancient Chinese spoiled like that, they'd get a Confucian kung-fu beating of a lifetime if they ever threw a temper tantrum that stupid. And as we all know, the culture of the ancient Chinese were the height of civilisation.

I'm wondering if branding with white-hot iron could be a part of the solution?

I'm also wondering what will happen to these marshmallows when the real world hits them like a ton of bricks, if they get traumatized by words their heads will melt when they bring in the technological dictatorship.. oops, almost forgot that these particular Yale pricks will probably be at the head of the machinery in that instance. A Brave New World indeed..

You are planned and you are damned, in this brave new world..

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
coming from an non american university myself... here it is #ed too. The official newspaper of the university is full of minorities demanding this and that without reason. An article was published about a oh so poor girl that took a class in Amsterdam about philosophy and got angry when she learned about European philosophers instead of Africans. Yeah its around that level...
And ofcourse non stop propaganda about the poor refugees and the occasional rant about ''white priviledge''.
edit on 11-11-2015 by DeusImperator because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

You are absolutely right they should be allowed to protest. They should be allowed to scream whatever they want. They should even be allowed to call for the firing of the two professors.

What I and other people have a problem with is that the other side is not allowed to do the same. Arguing against this PC garbage is many times considered hate speech, and can get you fired or expelled. Even microaggressions where you don't intentionally say something that disagrees with them can be punished. And now these PC social justice warriors are influencing curriculum, and even laws.

I believe anyone should be allowed to express whatever views they want. Their side is the one censroing people.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeusImperator
coming from an non american university myself... here it is #ed too. The official newspaper of the university is full of minorities demanding this and that without reason. An article was published about a oh so poor girl that took a class in Amsterdam about philosophy and got angry when she learned about European philosophers instead of Africans. Yeah its around that level...
And ofcourse non stop propaganda about the poor refugees and the occasional rant about ''white priviledge''.

Is that stuff really in university newspapers? That sounds ridiculous.

For a University, I would expect titles like, "P.C. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join