It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale Students Are Protesting Over an Email Sent to the Student Body on Halloween

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Then they become OWS protesters and vote for Bernie to teach us all a lesson for being evil and greedy and denying the brilliance they so obviously possess and we fail to recognize ... or simply being racist.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Some will surely end up that way...

Most, however, will not. My oldest sister, who is on the shady side of sixty, rapidly approaching seventy, was a flower child, or next best thing to it, all through High School...drove my rather conservative Dad and Mom nuts. Big time.

She took a few years off, then joined the Navy. Guess what? Life, and experiences, changed her outlook on many things. I was, once upon a time, as liberal a Dem as you could ever hate ((
)). Then I gradually swung to a more conservative form of Democrat. Think Sam Nunn/Henry Jackson, and you've just about got it. Then life happened, or more correctly, more life happened...and I swung to the right...waaaay right. I was, for a short time, right of Rush. Then, remarkably, life happened again...

I'm much more centrist now. I don't particularly care for parties/dogma anymore...whatever works will be fine by me.

I venture to guess, it'll be the same for many of those spoiled children. 'cause that's what they are, spoiled little boys and girls who haven't a clue what the world really is.

When they do finally get that clue, I hope it doesn't scar 'em up too badly.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I have dealt with people like in that video. I was in collegiate debate, and was repeatedly told to acknowledge my white privilege, told that as a white man I didn't deserve to live, told that I was a racists anytime I didn't agree with a person of color, etc. I learned to win I had to acknowledge my privilege, and to apoloigize for being born white and male over and over again.

This is what academia has become. It is a cult. You are not allowed to disagree with the narrative even a little bit. If this professor would have screamed back at the girl yelling at him he would have been a sexist, racist bully. She however, will be seen as a noble hero for standing up to the man.

This husband and wife couple sound were probably in good standing with the official progressive narrative before this issue. But all it takes is one slip up and they will cannibalize you.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Wow, WAY too much over thinking from both sides. Relax, it's just a halloween costume...

The girl is acting like this email is gonna change the world. From looks of it, maybe 25 people care about that email.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

But its not a small issue. It is indicative of a cult of censorship that is being fostered in Universities in the United States. Look at how the Missouri University just had to have their president step down. Now they won't even leave reporters in to show what is going on. And the leader of our country has his press secretary celebrating this and calling the people who forced this man out heroes.

Until we start taking this hijacking of academia seriously, things will continue to get far worse.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

You think that until the day you wear your ninja or matador or Pharaoh costume and someone chides you as racist for cultural appropriation.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Then they get the response any silly statement like that deserves.

'course it depends greatly upon my mood as to how I'd express it. But disdain would be present.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

So, someone tells students they can wear what they want, and a special little group decided their feelings might be hurt, by a costume, so they throw fits? Wah wah boo hoo! Get over it, already! I never, EVER, heard of anyone being offended by a freaking Halloween costume. This is just more screaming about being "oppressed" while demanding that the school repress everyone else. If people can't handle a costume, they are too immature for college.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Oh please, it's Halloween. Overthinking a Halloween costume from a sociology standpoint is like going in to a donut shop & overthinking the calories. You're not supposed to do either.

If someone not black wants to go as this frog princess girl, more power to them. Likewise, if someone not white wants to go as Snow White, more power to them. It's a few hours in costume, why does everything have to be beaten to death with the PC bat instead of being enjoyed for the simple fun of it?

Basically, if I got the gist of this from the skimming I did, the professor picked a lousy subject for that there higher thinkin', and the students went stupid in return.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Wow. Privileged little f***s.

I say we wall Yale off, and nuke it. Just nuke it.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You think that until the day you wear your ninja or matador or Pharaoh costume and someone chides you as racist for cultural appropriation.

I thought about going as a Matryoshka doll one year when I was in my late teens. It proved to be really difficult from the creative end (I can't build things for ish & I wanted it to retain the shape of one) I went as a Gypsy instead. Today, someone would probably sue me for emotional suffering over either idea.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Life will take care of the nuke option. It always does.

College kids who aren't quite as mature as they think they are...

Nothing more, or less.

I think "tempest in a teapot" best describes the situation. Yes, it's annoying. But no more then that.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

We had a spirit day in high school that was favorite character day. One of my classmates went there ... he went as Buckwheat, smeared his face and hair with black shoe polish and everything. Everyone thought it was hilarious and an awesome impersonation of Buckwheat, even the black kids. But those were less sensitive days. He could never have gotten away with it now.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Nyiah

We had a spirit day in high school that was favorite character day. One of my classmates went there ... he went as Buckwheat, smeared his face and hair with black shoe polish and everything. Everyone thought it was hilarious and an awesome impersonation of Buckwheat, even the black kids. But those were less sensitive days. He could never have gotten away with it now.

ZOMG, he went in BLACKFACE! The nerve, the gall, the marginalization! /sarc

Sounds like he had a good time back then
People have forgotten how to any more.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Wow!

The original email from the administrators is equally terrible.

Halloween is also unfortunately a time when the normal thoughtfulness and sensitivity of most Yale students can sometimes be forgotten and some poor decisions can be made including wearing feathered headdresses, turbans, wearing ‘war paint’ or modifying skin tone or wearing blackface or redface. These same issues and examples of cultural appropriation and/or misrepresentation are increasingly surfacing with representations of Asians and Latinos.

Yale is a community that values free expression as well as inclusivity. And while students, undergraduate and graduate, definitely have a right to express themselves, we would hope that people would actively avoid those circumstances that threaten our sense of community or disrespects, alienates or ridicules

I'm still not really sure why the students were so upset. Did anybody notice the kid that shouted "You're supposed to be our advocate" needed a hug to calm down... WTF is happening here?
edit on 9-11-2015 by theNLBS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

This is what happens when you teach that one group is responsible for all of the evils of the world, that all people not in that group are victims of that group which has caused every shortfall in their lives, and that, most importantly, YOU CAN NEVER QUESTION THIS!!!!

We are now seeing the fruits of this unquestioned cult like attitude being unchallenged in Academia for generations. As we see in this story, even professors that are in good standing in this community are totally destroyed when they dare to even slightly go against the narrative.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: nullafides

Life will take care of the nuke option. It always does.

College kids who aren't quite as mature as they think they are...

Nothing more, or less.

I think "tempest in a teapot" best describes the situation. Yes, it's annoying. But no more then that.

BUUUUUUUUUT......

The nuke option would be SOOO satisfying...come on, you know I'm right...

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Speaking of liberals being triggered... NYU had there own Halloween drama. NYU students upset about ‘suicide imagery’ in decorations

In a scary case of political correctness, a projection of a silhouetted figure hanging from a noose — part of Halloween decorations at an NYU Law School costume ball — prompted liberal student groups to pen an angry letter to administrators.

The Fall Ball decor on Oct. 29 showed “triggering, disrespectful, and harmful suicide imagery,” said the law school’s Mental Health Law and Justice Association in an open letter to deans Jason Belk and Trevor Morrison.

“For members of our community who have lost someone to suicide or who have had personal experiences, this topic is not a Halloween gimmick,” it reads.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

Well at least it wasn't a racial lynching drama ...

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I don't see why anyone is surprised. This is all part of the removal of free expression.

*yawn*

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join