It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When The Millennials Come

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I look forward to the day we see true millennials in office.

They resemble conservative libertarianism and social liberalism in all the good ways. They are fiscally conservative, they are socially liberal, they believe in gun rights and marriage rights, and want an end to the drug war and prohibition on marijuana. They are starting to have kids of their own, many of us. They don't trust government, nor the political parties that administer its function.

Also, there is a metric butt load of us spread across this nation that are tired of the same fights this country has had since the 80s.

This isn't Reagan's Era anymore. It certainly doesn't belong to the Clinton's or Bush's either. Obama's Era is a legacy of deep mistrust and large scale alienation to those of us that were once impressed by his eloquence and ability to speak to our hearts...What a F'ing liar he turned out to be.

We fought the Wars and many of us didn't come back, even if all we left behind was our hearts.

We're tired of you and your political nonsense. You, antiquated politicos, who are fighting an ideological war amongst yourselves that will ensure we and our children will not enjoy the rights you erode today. You will kill America for us, leave us the ashes to clean up long after you're dead.
edit on -06:00Mon, 09 Nov 2015 10:31:28 -060020159America/Chicago2015-11-09T10:31:28-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

They are fiscally conservative, they are socially liberal, they believe in gun rights and marriage rights, and want an end to the drug war and prohibition on marijuana. They are starting to have kids of their own, many of us. They don't trust government, nor the political parties that administer its function.

Yup, that pretty much sums me and the wifey up and I look forward to the day when people likes us are the distinct majority. Maybe, just maybe, things will get better at that point.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well said, not much else to add.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I sincerely hope you are right.

What concerns me is that just as I believe many, MANY people go into politics with the best of intentions and pure (or pure-ish) hearts.... they get corruption by the enormous machine. It would be beyond words (in a good way) if, as a block, this doesn't happen to the the next generation of politicians.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Refreshing to see a positive thread about younger people on ATS. I think the kids will be alright. They are also a lot more aware of the environmental issues, which are important no matter what side of the fence your on. They are a lot more savvy to the political bs we have become accustomed to , not as partisan and having grown up through the financial crisis, more aware of economic issues and inequalities. They will grow up to harness and benefit from technological advancements, the likes of which we could never imagined.

Let's just not mess it up before they get their chance

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I wouldn't be so sure....
I mean wasn't the hippy generation supposed to sort it out?.
I sure hope so though but I think every generation thinks they will sort everything out but generally fails.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Sadly I don't think the millennials will be immune to political corruption any better than any other generation.

Power corrupts and corrupts absolutely. And the Corporate Oligarchy has a lock on corruption; It's called Capitalism and has very little to do with politics other than to satisfy greed.

It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power.
David Brin

Culturally.....the United States is a nation of competitors, winning is the only thing that matters; The most fertile breeding ground for corruption.
For anything to change the status quo; it will need to be traumatic.... We are a Nation of Warriors.

edit on 9-11-2015 by olaru12 because: #TNH^&%&*

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I just got one message for the Millennials.

"Look up If you work hard you lot will be the first among the stars! all my love Boymonkey xxx".

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I've been to combat with several millennials.

I serve now with a fresh group.

They are smarter, tougher, and more creative than people give them credit for.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Politicians don't run things. They announce the decisions made by those in control of the money and power.

Good luck with your vision of change, you can believe in, once your generation is in 'office'. The real PTB will never even let you in their board room.

I am afraid you will need those skills you have learned at their behest, one day.
edit on 9-11-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

edit on 9-11-2015 by intrptr because: double post

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
These kids have been handed trophies for just showing up their whole lives. They have been told they are special. There are not.
The idea of them handling the future is unsettling.
Hopefully my concern is unfounded.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

a reply to: woodwardjnr

I've been to combat with several millennials.

I serve now with a fresh group.

They are smarter, tougher, and more creative than people give them credit for.

I have no doubt in the truth of your statements but there are powers at play that are hidden and beyond human understanding.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Fasten your helmet, Darth.

Language warning

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I find the nihilistic view of society that you seem to have counterproductive to achieving solutions to our problems.

As we say in my unit "Stop complaining and start solving."

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I find the nihilistic view of society that you seem to have counterproductive to achieving solutions to our problems.

As we say in my unit "Stop complaining and start solving."

I'd very much like to hear your approach to solving our political stagnation.

Voting?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I actually believe that changing society for the better will take a generation or three.

Technological development, scientific investment, adherence to the Constitution and the founding principles, non interventionist foreign policy.

We need to stop making these trade agreements that encourage slave labor in the 3rd world while making the American worker destitute.

I believe that if we are going to war that politicians should authorize it and then get out of the way and let us do what we were trained to do, break stuff and kill people, until the other side either gives up or disappears from existence.

All of these things will take time. While voting can be a tool to use, I believe that without literally holding guns to the heads of politicians, we won't get anywhere with them.

Lastly, we need to stop telling people how to live. I don't care if you're in a same sex relationship. I don't care if you like to smoke pot after a hard days work. I don't care if you own guns or not.

Benjamin Franklin wanted the original motto of the US "Mind your business". I think we need to start embracing that principle in full.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

All of these things will take time. While voting can be a tool to use, I believe that without literally holding guns to the heads of politicians, we won't get anywhere with them.

That's what I thought you would say. Essentially violent revolution or military coup...that usually works out well.

edit on 9-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

That's what I thought you would say. Essentially violent revolution or military coup...that usually works out well.

Sadly, this option seems the only likely scenario where change is inevitable.

The machine has gotten to large and it manufactures more problems everyday.

What is your solution?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join