It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Republicans are revolting: They keep winning elections, and keep getting angrier

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The American culture and political landscape is ever evolving. We've become more accepting of alternative lifestyles and individual choices such as homosexuality, or perhaps the use of certain drugs. As it continues to evolve, those that have a hard time going with the flow lash-out against their political opponents, but they are also starting to turn against their own kind.

I've often struggled to find the proper words to explain to people what is happening inside the Republican party, other than to say the extremists have taken over and pushing out the reasonable conservatives, but this article lays it out perfectly.

When John Boehner stepped down, he became just the second speaker since the beginning of the 20th century to resign mid-session, and the only one to do so without an ethics investigation looming over his head. The ensuing rise of Speaker Paul Ryan has been historic in its own right, but not enough attention has been paid to what precisely led Republican activists and primary voters to demand that their own party leadership resign.
How did we get here? And where is this strain of Republican anger coming from?

After years writing and researching this topic, my official answer is this: There has been a massive “deleveraging” of the economic, political and social power that a coalition of predominately white, male and Christian individuals and allies have enjoyed for a very long time, and that because congressional control can never restore more than a fraction of the old guard’s former power, a broad majority of these individuals—today’s Republican activists—now suspect that their own leadership must be the true reason why things haven’t changed for the better.

This is how Republican anger gets transferred from Democrats and onto their own party leadership. If Republican primary voters have won, and things haven’t gotten any better, it must be because someone has sold them out. This conclusion is reinforced almost daily for anyone who consumes conservative media.

I encourage everyone to read the entire piece and take a moment to digest what it is saying. Do not dismiss it simply because the source is Salon. It makes some very important points that are bound to make some of us uncomfortable, but sometimes a little tough love is needed.

What will bring an end to the cycle of Republican anger? Circle Nov. 8, 2022, on your calendars. This is the next election that will take into account the next nationwide redistricting, perhaps finally making these congressional Republicans susceptible to overriding voter opinion on political compromise. But if the gerrymanders remain, don’t be surprised if—even in 2030—Republicans keep saying that Congress isn’t listening to the people, even if they control the whole damn thing.

Salon

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I would never seek to uphold a republican attitude, politically speaking, but the idea that power has been diversified in truth, rather than in terms of appearance, is an absolute lie at worst, and a failure of investigative journalism at best.

The owners have not changed, they just have more puppets these days, making it ever harder to see their influence, owing to the number of hands that do their work.
edit on 9-11-2015 by TrueBrit because: Idiotic grammar failure... Lot on my mind, sorry folks!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

The ensuing rise of Speaker Paul Ryan has been historic in its own right, but not enough attention has been paid to what precisely led Republican activists and primary voters to demand that their own party leadership resign.

Just personally, attention spans are shorter theses days. Almost as short as celebrity or a term in office. If people get bored, time to change the trappings…
edit on 9-11-2015 by intrptr because: forgot quote

+19 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
considering that the supreme court is controlled by a conservative majority, 31 state governors are controlled by republicans, 31 state legislative bodies are controlled entirely by republicans, the congress, both senate and the house are controlled by republicans, I would say that the problems in this country are caused by republicans...but....the right wing blames ALL THE PROBLEMS on the one democrat in high office, Obama.....
where is the daily bombardment of cynicism and anger, toward all these republican controlled institutions?????.......I hear crickets chirping...

+22 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The reason there is anger in the Republican party is because the libertarian / tea party side is upset with the RINOs who have basically turned in to Democrat lites. If wanting our representatives to adhere to the constitution, reducing government bureaucracy, spending, and involvement in our lives is extremist, then I guess I am an extremist.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

It's really simple and no I will not read you link. I know full well your intentions, political leanings and goal in this thread.

Lines are being re-drawn, 'evolution' as you call it is occurring.

Simply put, the current Republican party is going the way of the Whigs in their day. They no longer represent the will and views of the grass-roots.

They will change their policies or a new 'evolved' party will emerge and supplant the Republican party.

Where that leads the nation is unknown. It is occurring, however, and we shall see.....

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Do you believe that there is no room for compromise on certain issues? Do you believe any Republican that does is a sell-out and must be ousted because they are traitors to the Party?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Actually you avoid the subject of the thread completely.

Obama and Co. does get their share of the finger pointing. Any different than your post pointing the same fingers at us? I think not.

The Republican Party will change or go extinct.

Make some pop-corn, sit back and watch. it could be very entertaining.....

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I know full well your intentions, political leanings and goal in this thread.

My goal was to share the article and discuss it. If you disagree, please read it and let's talk it out point by point.

What you are doing is sticking your finger in your ears instead.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Forgive my skepticism on your stated goal. I've seen too many of your posts to buy into some 'objective' claims on your part in this one.

I believe my post on the subject describes what is occurring in the Republican ranks and I also believe you know that as well.

have a nice day....

+7 more 
link   
What does the word "white" in the title have to do with anything? I know plenty of black conservatives who are sick of elected officials not delivering on their promises.

+6 more 
link   

You have exemplified what is wrong with your party here. By rejecting the moderate Republicans, you are effectively splitting your party up with infighting.

link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Look at who posted this thread. That should cover it fully...

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Let us be sure to point out any racial aspects of our society.

That way we can surely remain divided.

I guess the black republicans are all cashing their welfare checks.

stereo type much?

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Do you believe that there is no room for compromise on certain issues? Do you believe any Republican that does is a sell-out and must be ousted because they are traitors to the Party?

You mean like how the Democrats compromised on Obamacare? Passing in the dark of Christmas eve and using legislative maneuvers despite clear opposition? Oh the Republican leadership has compromised alright. They run on one thing and do something completely different when in office. That is the problem and the root of the grassroots anger.

There is a reason the states have largely swung Republican as noted above in terms of Governorships and local politics. Middle America is sick of what is going on. They can see the impact of progressive policies more clearly at the state level.

Compromise depends on the policy and who is doing the compromising and for what reason.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
What does the word "white" in the title have to do with anything? I know plenty of black conservatives who are sick of elected officials not delivering on their promises.

I'm not quite sure. My focus is not about race, but I did have to copy and paste the title per T and C's.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
Let us be sure to point out any racial aspects of our society.

That way we can surely remain divided.

I guess the black republicans are all cashing their welfare checks.

stereo type much?

I personally said nothing about race whatsoever. You and others are trying to obfuscate the issue and make it more about race than the actual topic.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Really how about the 'moderates' in the party rejecting the grass-roots and thereby causing the 'in-fighting'??

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

There is a reason the states have largely swung Republican as noted above in terms of Governorships and local politics. Middle America is sick of what is going on. They can see the impact of progressive policies more clearly at the state level.

As indicated in the article, redistricting has quite a bit to do with Republican majorities in certain areas. It would be ignorant to make vast generalizations about what Middle America wants because the nation is still equally divided on politics and policies.
edit on 9-11-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Which certain issues?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join