It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So India gets its first Transgendered police officer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I find it pretty strange. A country which had pro homosexuality laws that were recently made illegal, now recognises the third gender giving them equal rights. Diverty in laws!

The Indian state of Tamil Nadu is to hire the country's first transgender police officer after a court cleared hurdles that faced one applicant. K Prithika Yashini, who was born male but underwent gender reassignment surgery, applied to become a police sub-inspector in the southern state. But the state police board did not recognise a third gender, leading her to pursue a legal case against it. A court in Chennai (Madras) has now ruled in her favour. "I'm excited," Prithika was quoted as saying by India's NDTV network. "It's a new beginning for the entire transgender community."

What do you all make of this? I thnk they should make homosexuality legal too. Then it would be fair. A democracy like India should not deprive people of their rights based on their sexuality.

Link to the story(BBC)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

In India there is a tradition of this know as the Hijra. My mum and dad told me about it. It goes back centuries. India has some fascinating cultural idiosyncrasies.

The Hijra are dancers and do a kind of begging, asking for money when they do a dance. They go around in groups.

So for India to do this does not surprise me. In some places you could walk around naked covered in ash and no one would bat an eye lid. The Sadhus (Hindu Holy Men) are very strange in behaviour and appearance sometimes.

Read about Hijra here: Hijra (South Asia)

edit on 9-11-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

In India there is a tradition of this know as the Hijra. My mum and dad told me about it. It goes back centuries. India has some fascinating cultural idiosyncrasies.

The Hijra are dancers and do a kind of begging, asking for money when they do a dance. They go around in groups.

So for India to do this does not surprise me. In some places you could walk around naked covered in ash and no one would bat an eye lid. The Sadhus (Hindu Holy Men) are very strange in behaviour and appearance sometimes.

Read about Hijra here: Hijra (South Asia)

Truely a land of contrast!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Good for her, not really anything else to really say about it.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Transgender is NOT a third gender.. What are you saying? lmao

it's one gender reassigning itself to the other.

not becoming a hybrid with both sexes, that is an hermaphrodite.

but if that were the case, then it would make more sense to tell the coppers to go fornicate with themselves..

I KID YOU NOOBS !!! Oo

lol

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
Good for her, not really anything else to really say about it.

[strikethrough]
Him slash her.

or is she not a he or he not a she?[/strikethrough]

She underwent gender reassignment surgery.

well then, makes a difference. *learn to read articles first you soul*

Oo

How straight, no strikethough.....
edit on 9-11-2015 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Hmm I wonder if she will be raped now that she is a woman? That would be 1 country I wouldnt want to be a woman in..

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

It is important to put this into context when looking at the weird paradox of the acceptance of her vs LGBT rights in India.

There is a looooong traditional history of transwomen in India. They were respected and considered holy (representative of a particular goddess). It was not until European colonization that the western Christian ideas of strictly adhering to gender binaries presented itself.

They are still suffering from the bigotry imposed upon them during that period. This may be a good sign that things are returning to the more sensible perspective of gender.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

It is important to put this into context when looking at the weird paradox of the acceptance of her vs LGBT rights in India.

There is a looooong traditional history of transwomen in India. They were respected and considered holy (representative of a particular goddess). It was not until European colonization that the western Christian ideas of strictly adhering to gender binaries presented itself.

They are still suffering from the bigotry imposed upon them during that period. This may be a good sign that things are returning to the more sensible perspective of gender.

You may be correct. I remember quite clearly that there are quite a few homosexual and beastality sexual positions carved on temple walls in Khajuraho. A temple of all places!

top topics

join