It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coconut Curry Sweet Potatoe with Chicken and Basmati rice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Hi folks,
I ate a similar dish at a restaurant and tried to copy it.

Ingredients
Two medium large sweet potatoes or three small ones
Tablespoon and half Curry powder
Chicken bullion (vegans or vegetarians, no-chick chicken bullion)
Salt to taste... about half teaspoon or less depending on taste buds
13.5 ounce can of coconut milk(light or regular)
13.5 ounce can of water
I haven't cooked poultry with any kinda sauce for twenty years or more, so I baked a .75
Ounce Chicken breast separately
Here is link to bake Chicken
healthyrecipesblogs.com...
I only added salt and pepper
For perfect basmati rice,
www.foodnetwork.com...

Okay so the rest is pretty simple,
In a large size pan put the coconut water and water measured in the can from the coconut milk.
Add the bullion and Curry Powder and salt and stir on high till everything dissolves and blends.
Toss in the, about a 1/3inch sliced sweet potatoes and let come to a boil if it hasn't already.
Turn down to medium heat and cook ten minutes.
Then add cut up chicken breast and cook on simmer for about another ten minutes.
If sweet potatoes aren't soft yet cook a little bit more.
When that's all done serve over basmati rice.
Yum yum
Hope you like it.

p.s. vegans and vegetarians can substitute baked tofu for the chicken or other non-meat substitutions, it's up to you!

edit on 9-11-2015 by peppycat because: added something

edit on 9-11-2015 by peppycat because: word missing

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
How much chicken did you use? .75 ounces sounds like not much compared to the sweet potato/sauce ratio.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Tastes better for me if the chicken is thigh or leg as it juicier than breast and i boil it instead of baking it then add it after slicing into chunks.
Also i live in the Philippines and i can get the actual coconut pulp from the inside of the shell from a street vendor then you add water and squeeze it to get the milk through a strainer,tastes unbeliveable in the curry.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: southbeach

boiled chook is as dry as a dry chickens witches boob.??

I hate boiled meat. unless its a stew. where the juice is there.

Personally I'd bake it, as per the OPs idea.

slowly though, I've baked whole chooks before and once you cut into them they just gush juices.. boiled has always been bland and .. sad for me

unless you boil them a certain way.

damn now I want just a plain baked chook and a whole tray of garlic bunches to bake with it, garlic when baked is gods gift to everything...

Im easily pleased though.. oh well.. live alone I will..
edit on 9-11-2015 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach

Tastes better for me if the chicken is thigh or leg as it juicier than breast and i boil it instead of baking it then add it after slicing into chunks.
Also i live in the Philippines and i can get the actual coconut pulp from the inside of the shell from a street vendor then you add water and squeeze it to get the milk through a strainer,tastes unbeliveable in the curry.

I just put whole coconuts in the pot.

haha no.. But I can buy them, are they any better if bought from the Philippines ?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This sounds great! I have everything on hand, so will be making soon! Thanks!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
How much chicken did you use? .75 ounces sounds like not much compared to the sweet potato/sauce ratio.
it was just one very large chicken breast cut into small chunks, because of my tight budget, you can most definitely add more.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: southbeach Fresh coconut sounds divine.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
This sounds great! I have everything on hand, so will be making soon! Thanks!
I'm glad you like my restaurant recreation. Let me know how it turns out and don't be afraid to alter it. I originally planned on adding peas to the rice for color and variation, but sometimes my budget gets the best of me. Also you can add a little more water if its starts to boil down too much. With the chicken cooked separately, you can freely taste the sauce throughout it's cooking.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I'll definitely be trying this soon. Just today I finished harvesting my sweet potato crop. I got some really big ones, far too big to bake so they will work well for this! Thanks!

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt Homegrown sweet potatoes in Autumn, that's awesome! Let me know how it turns out.
If the sweet potatoes are really big you can cut the slices in half too and as I replied to someone above add a tad more water to sauce if needed.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

It is often perplexing as I try to decide whether Spring is my favorite time because of the foods that only come in spring---asparagus, for instance---or Autumn, with sweet potatoes and apple cider!
I baked the first of our crop last night to go with a beef pot pie I'd made from leftover Swiss steak. Mmmmm, yummy with a pile of butter on top.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

It is often perplexing as I try to decide whether Spring is my favorite time because of the foods that only come in spring---asparagus, for instance---or Autumn, with sweet potatoes and apple cider!
I baked the first of our crop last night to go with a beef pot pie I'd made from leftover Swiss steak. Mmmmm, yummy with a pile of butter on top.
I feel the same way about spring and autumn and finally decided I'm an equinox person. Beef pot pie sounds yummy... it's getting chilly nowadays.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Yeah, when the nights turn chilly, I start thinking about what to bake.

After thinking about it, I wonder how your dish would be with apple cider substituted for the coconut milk? May have to give that a whirl next.
Oh, my post from last night was wrong. I actually finished up harvesting the sweet potatoes today when I began transplanting strawberry plants into the bed and found several large potatoes that I'd missed. It was like finding buried treasure!

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
Hi folks,
I ate a similar dish at a restaurant and tried to copy it.

Ingredients
Two medium large sweet potatoes or three small ones
Tablespoon and half Curry powder
Chicken bullion (vegans or vegetarians, no-chick chicken bullion)
Salt to taste... about half teaspoon or less depending on taste buds
13.5 ounce can of coconut milk(light or regular)
13.5 ounce can of water
I haven't cooked poultry with any kinda sauce for twenty years or more, so I baked a .75
Ounce Chicken breast separately
Here is link to bake Chicken
healthyrecipesblogs.com...
I only added salt and pepper
For perfect basmati rice,
www.foodnetwork.com...

Okay so the rest is pretty simple,
In a large size pan put the coconut water and water measured in the can from the coconut milk.
Add the bullion and Curry Powder and salt and stir on high till everything dissolves and blends.
Toss in the, about a 1/3inch sliced sweet potatoes and let come to a boil if it hasn't already.
Turn down to medium heat and cook ten minutes.
Then add cut up chicken breast and cook on simmer for about another ten minutes.
If sweet potatoes aren't soft yet cook a little bit more.
When that's all done serve over basmati rice.
Yum yum
Hope you like it.

p.s. vegans and vegetarians can substitute baked tofu for the chicken or other non-meat substitutions, it's up to you!

Wow, seems delicious!

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join