It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Find Yourself Doing This TOO?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Something strikes vividly about your avatar. That moment tapped in a loop of time long into the expanding horizon of the future. And will remain on the pages of ATS long after you or I have long since become bone and dust. There is a definite kind of sci-fi/Twilight Zone story right there. In another reality you could be trapped inside your ATS avatar.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Nope, not a drinker. I come high naturally!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree
a reply to: peppycat

Nope, not a drinker. I come high naturally!
That's even better!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

I can agree with that, and have the same feeling with guild members in RPG's, and have identified things about them that was accurate when finally revealed. Maybe it is the large number of posts and threads I read here that makes it difficult. Ironically understanding human nature was part of my job, however doing it in the real world hasn't made it any easier to do here for me. Some people make it clear in things they say, but most don't. I am sure I could go read their post and thread history and get a better idea. People put up a very different front online than in person for me at least. I think RPG's you are catching people much more laid back than on ATS. And as such, they will reveal a lot more. Some members here don't try to hide who they are. Others are much more stringent about revealing any information.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran

I can do you more easily i think.

You're pretty empathetic and compassionate. Very laid back and prefer a laid back lifestyle. But you're also very proud.. You hold you're self in high regards, But you are satisfied with who you are.

You got the first bit right. I feel that compassion is the most necessary human trait. I don't know that laid back is entirely accurate, lifestyle wise. I work hard, but I do very much enjoy kicking back and relaxing after a hard slog at work. As for the way I look at myself...I believe I am an anachronism, that the world and its inhabitants have little practical use for a man like me these days. That prevents me from being satisfied with who I am.

You don't care about tradition, You prefer to do you're own thing. Your are the oposit of a sheepish person.

There are some traditions I care very much about, and others I care not one whit for. I certainly do prefer my own way to the ways observed by others. As for sheepish, it rather depends on whether sheepishness would be appropriate to the situation, as to whether or not I engage in it!

Over all, You're a good person.

age between 35-45, male obviously, None religious. Europe is in your dialect.

I cannot comment objectively on whether I am a good person or not, but as for my age? See, I told you I come across as older than I am! Heh! I am actually a Christian, believe it or not. I do not got to church or any fellowship of any sort, because I believe that organised religion can be very toxic to the soul. And yes, I am from Britain, which is technically in Europe.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

I always read your posts with Justin Lee Collins' voice in my head. I don't know why, it just seems to fit your writing. I'm pretty sure you sound nothing like him!

a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

It's really hard trying to discern what people sound like I think. I've got a vague generic American accent for some posters, which is probably completely wrong. Some people write like they talk, which is great and helps to give a clearer picture. I write in a sort of Miss Jean Brodie style (well that's how it reads to me) which is nothing like I speak. But if I wrote like I talk, yiz widdnae ken fit ah wiz saying, lol! So I don't.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I massively judge everybody on looks, what they write -whatever clues I'm given.

Prejudice? - Yes.

Usually correct? - Yes.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   

I am curious to know how many of you have made assumptions about me?

Tell me, what gender, race, color, voice or age?

You're a 14 year old bisexual female velociraptor with green skin, a high pitched voice, and are a devout Lutheran.

I would be curious to know how many of you think you have me pegged

How did I do?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   

close enough for a guy who is 6 beers in i guess ;P, And when i said none religious i didn't mean what you were born into, I meant more of how you practice.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

I know what you meant, but although I am not a church goer, I am a Christian, that is, I believe in Jesus, and worship him in all things, in all places, not just in church on a Sunday.

I have a belief which is the stronger for the lack of institutionalism and dogma, that I avoid by avoiding churches.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Understood. I don't know where i stand, what i believe. Born catholic but that never meant much to me (mostly the same reason as you, Organized religion is toxic.) I try to find logical reasoning in everything, But sometimes in desperate times even i find myself begging to a higher power, Even if i don't necessarily believe in it. I have always been fond of the universe itself being a living thing.
edit on 9-11-2015 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

I massively judge everybody on looks, what they write -whatever clues I'm given.

Prejudice? - Yes.

Usually correct? - Yes.

I massively judged you a while ago as being extra lovely, erroneously thinking that your signature said 'SNP'. Imagine my surprise when I read it properly one day. And then I hated you.

(Only joking, of course I don't hate you).

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Strange you replied. Whenever I look at your name I always think about an old Penguin Cafe Orchestra composition called 'Beanfields'.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Aaaw! I love that! Here's my new theme tune:

Sadly, the inside of my head normally sounds like this:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I just a post by it's title.

Im usually wrong.. case in point.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
There's a motto that I learned many many moons ago and it's one that I consider to be of absolute importance and truth in all facets of life:

"Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his mocassins."

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I say with any form of public discourse regardless of the topic,the substance in what people say has more merit than any other superficial characteristic as that has no bearing whatsoever on the topic. Nor does it have bearing on the person's overall points. With the exceptions of it being relevant.

Although since this is an anonymous international site, I'd say substance applies even more so. I find making presumptions about other people's character and/or physique in discourse to be dismissive of valid criticism and arrogant to make such assumptions even if there's evidence for it. But I'm aware we have evolved to make judgement calls about our surroundings, so in a sense were all kind of biased to each other at first glance. Some times implicitly.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

How many of you judge a book by it's cover?

A movie by it's title?

A person by their looks?

We all do this to some extent. First impressions are important, and they do actually tell something about a person, though certainly not the whole picture.

For a book, the cover should ideally give some impression of the genre, and titles do matter. As an avid book reader, I will state that scanning through racks of books, something has to catch my attention. Looking at every single book in a section isn't practical. A catchy title or interesting cover can go a long way. Some authors, I buy most everything they write, but the rest are going to have to have a good hook to reel me in.

Movies, not so much by title. More, really, by "cover", meaning the movie artwork. Anything in "horror" that depends on a girl in some skimpy costume, I will pass by, because I want a real plot. That said, some artsy farts title might make me pass as well. I seldom enjoy that sort. Personal preference, of course, because some do like them. I'll take a good action movie any day!

A person by their looks.....well, depends. Facial features? No. People have no control over their genetics. How a person presents themselves? Yes, unless they are in a situation where they can't manage that. Being clean helps, and showing some basic judgment in what one wears. Not so much style, though that can show a personality type, but more fit. Someone wearing far too loose clothing, such as saggy pants, I find ridiculous, and that makes for a bad first impression. By the same token, someone cramming themselves into too small clothing is quite tacky. No one looks skinnier in pants so tight the stomach hangs over the waistband. above a certain weight, some styles just don't work, either. I don't wear things I would have when younger and more fit, because they don't look good anymore. The expressions on people's faces can say a lot as well. Bad temperament can show. You can see a lot in the eyes, also, and that's a very big factor for me. Windows to the soul, and all that.

How about when reading an email, do you pretend to know what the tone of voice is?

If you get a letter in the mail from a family member do automatically hear their voice in your head while you are reading it?

To some extent, of course. Some mood can be determined by word choice, though we have to be careful in cases where more than one meaning is possible.

How about on an ATS level, do you judge a member by their name?

Depends on the name. Some names do show something about the person, or something the person wants others to know. For example, mine is feminine, because I got tired of people assuming I was male (maybe it's the action movie addiction?), and it also describes one feature of mine.

Their avatar?

Again, it depends. An avatar can show an interest, which tells us something about the person. Most of the time, I suspect that is the case. It's nowhere near a complete picture of the poster, of course.

Do you find yourself imagining what they look like or what gender they may be based on specific phrases?

Sometimes. What sex a person is can be stated, as in my case, and some things people say can reveal that. Unless it's clear, though, we can only guess. Impressions are often not accurate. I don't assume unless the person says, or the screen name reveals it, I try not to assume.

Do you pretend to know what they sound like?

Now and then, I get an idea how they might sound, but it's no more real than assigning faces and voices to book characters. Yes, I do that.

Do you think you can figure out their age?

That can be easier, if you read enogh of what someone posts. How we speak, and what we talk about, can narrow age down very well at times.

Their color or race of origins?

Only if there is something that offers a clue. Just on avatar or screen name? Only if one or both reveal that.

Sexual preferences?

Once in a while, an avatar makes that plain. For most, you have to read their comments in threads about that sort of thing to have any idea.

Religious affiliations?

Same as the above. Unless someone says something, or the avatar or screen name (or both) reveal something, we cna't know. I have made some accurate guesses before, based on comments in threads that would have that discussed in some fashion or another.

I am curious to know how many of you have made assumptions about me?

Tell me, what gender, race, color, voice or age?

Being that this is an anonymous platform, unless you decide to communicate in a different format with specific members, how could you actually know who you are dealing with?

I would be curious to know how many of you think you have me pegged, I can't promise I will say one way or the other about all comments or observations as to the validity, but I would be very interested to know just the same. In fact, if wanted I will offer up my own view of any member that would care to have them.

Sex, race, color, voice age? No idea. I suspect male, but wouldn't bet on that. Race, couldn't begin to guess. Voice and age? Same.

Based on your avatar, and some comments, I would guess that you have some interest in metaphysics, and that you are probably not Christian. You'd likely be interested in "psychic" areas of interest, and related topics. You are probably more open-minded in many areas than some.

For me, I am interested, and will confirm as much as possible. I have posted some things, of course, and am not shy about my opinions, but am curious as to the impression you might have.

Fun little exercise, this! S&F for that. Thought provoking as well. Now, off to read the other responses.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

My guess is that you're white, female 40s to 50s and a deep thinker who cares and wants to make a difference. Also, American. Probably totally wrong, just going by some of threads I've seen you post.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime

My guess is that you're white, female 40s to 50s and a deep thinker who cares and wants to make a difference. Also, American. Probably totally wrong, just going by some of threads I've seen you post.

Maybe maybe yes and yes. I would love to make a difference and I think deeply and do care. The world we live in is in need of a tremendous enema.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join