It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rancher killed by two police officers after his Gelbvieh Bull is hit by car.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Rancher killed by two police officers after his Gelbvieh Bull is hit by car.

Gelbvieh is like an Angus. 2500 LBS

You kind of have to read this one to get the whole story, or totally believe what happened. A Bull was hit by a car, ended with a shattered leg so it started going nuts, crashing into things, what have you. The rancher family, an elder gentleman, his wife, and nephew all came out to see what happened. The old man sends for steer loader, a rifle for putting down cattle.

By this time the Bull is back on their Farmer's property, but the cops come back to shoot it with their rifles. Apparently when they started shooting at it with their guns it got the bull going ape-snip again, and the old man comes back to put it to rest. Supposedly had his back to the police when it happened, they approached him, turn him around and opened fire.

His wife is currently in the hospital after suffering a heart attack.

The rifle’s barrel was about 2 feet from the bull, and Jack Yantis’ finger was on the trigger.

“Everything was going as planned. … I did not notice any conversation at all” between Jack Yantis and the deputies, Paradis said. “Then the one cop turned around and grabbed his shoulder and jerked him backwards.”

The deputy came from behind, spun Yantis around and grabbed the rifle’s scope, Paradis said.

The deputy pushed Yantis. The rifle was still in Yantis’ hands, its barrel pointed at the ground. Yantis was trying to regain his footing.

Paradis said he does not know whether the rifle fired, but he thinks it might have discharged accidentally when the deputy grabbed Yantis and spun him, or when one of the deputy’s bullets pierced Yantis’ hand holding the rifle, hitting the gun and damaging it.

One deputy began shooting at Yantis, then the other deputy started shooting.

Read more here: www.sacbee.com...=cpy

See the article for more information.
edit on 8-11-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Edit: An ATSer local to the story has made some comments on it. Thank you dreamingawake

Edit: To note) Thread title is "two police officers" thought I should point out it was two deputies from the local Sherrif's Office.
edit on 9-11-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Edit: Found a local blog covering this topic. Which includes information about the Troopers who will be investigating the case, and who have been shown to have concealed information in another case where an office was suspected of vehicular manslaughter, where they wanted to change the facts so it reduced culpability of the officer.

It also states that the rancher was asked by the Sheriff to go check on the accident with his Bull:

Perhaps the most infuriating aspect of this tragedy is the fact that Yantis was shot because he had responded to a call for help from the same Sheriff’s Office whose personnel killed him on the scene.

freedominourtime.blogspot.ca...

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

WTF man,what were those officers thinking...seriously how retarded can people be...

“They opened up with their pistols and their M16s ... before Jack got there,” Paradis said. “That’s an inhumane deal. ... This is a 2-ton Angus bull that’s pissed off, he’s hurt and psychotic. ... It was blazing down there and it sounded like World War III on this bull, because they got him charging at everyone again.”

Read more here: www.sacbee.com...#storylink=cpy

Like the rancher didnt know what to do so these fools jump in guns blazing and then after all that they kill the rancher.....unbelievable....

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Been following this locally. Can give insight on it. This happened in an open range area-duty as a driver is to be careful because the cows will come out onto the road, cattle accidents are not rare but this a first in the state for police to act how they did in that type of situation. For the people who hit the bull it was nighttime, and the bull was black, basically unavoidable on some nights on darkened roads out here.

It's very sad. Cams should should what really happened here. The Idaho State Police are also stepping in on the investigation as the news shared to help make it fair.

RIP Jack Yantis

Regards to his wife, family and town

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

It's very sad. Cams should should what really happened here. The Idaho State Police are also stepping in on the investigation as the news shared to help make it fair.

Should note for others [I didnt really make it apparent in the OP] the shooting happened involving the Sheriff's Deputies. Im guessing this is an odd case out or have there ever been any kind of complaints with the local Sheriff's office before?

Sidenote: It's puzzling to me because when I spent years growing up in rural areas, the farmers walked around with guns all the time. If their animals had been in an accident it'd be normal to contact them first, I guess in a situation with a raging bull its different, but I think the farmer's presence would be expected or wouldn't come off as a surprise at least.

+21 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Jesus F----C------
I can barely believe this!! Poor creature not only gets hit by a car, but the stupid cops start spraying it with bullets instead of a well aimed mercy shot! guy only wants to end his animal's suffering.. winds up killed and wife suffers a heart attack--?! yet another story of cops screwing up with lethal consequences. It's like a Shakespearean tragedy.. How awful!!
I can't imagine what that family is going through right now.

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Seems like the real ANIMALS in this story are the police.
They think that they know what is best in any given situation when the fact is that a lot of them barley know their own job.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Well if things went the way the article is claiming, it's terrible. Terrible either way actually. It sounds completely bizarre to me.

I'm not trying to defend anyone, I'm just rather flummoxed by the visual I'm getting here. So the rancher approaches the bull with a gun, the cops are right next to him, then the cops randomly grab him and start shooting him?

I feel like there's no way something else didn't occur. I'm not saying that to defend the cops or the rancher, but it just seems like a bizarre story unless some more information comes to light.

I'd really like to hear the account from the police involved, and any other witnesses. This account seems like it almost has to be incomplete. I'm always hesitant to believe the cops story fully, or the family's story completely.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Oh, wow......

If the ranchers didn't ask for police assistance, then the police trespassed, and had no business being there. They also can't spin someone around, then claim the person was a threat to them. This is outrageous.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Don't believe a one sided narrative automatically.

They also can't spin someone around, then claim the person was a threat to them. This is outrageous.

Yeah, but are we sure that's actually what happened?

This is a problem I see often. People automatically believe a certain narrative, and since they do, any information within that narrative helps to cement it in someone's mind. The whole narrative should be questioned, including all details held within.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Those sheriff deputies, especially being from a rural community, ought to have known better. It's not that far fetched to expect a rancher to be armed with a firearm when dealing with their livestock. It also should be common knowledge that an animal get put down when injured like it was.

These deputies were in the complete wrong. There was absolutely no threat toward the deputies from the rancher. Another needless death at the hands of ignorant cops.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Well, from what I can gather it looks like it might be a bit of broken telephone. We have the witness statements and the Sheriff's office wont say anything on it. The only two things I can see happening was: he pointed his gun at the deputies to stop them from shooting the bull so he could do it [which doesn't match up with witness statements]

...or the deputies thought he was there for that reason. But he wasn't since it appears he was called to the scene by the Sheriff's office!

Perhaps the most infuriating aspect of this tragedy is the fact that Yantis was shot because he had responded to a call for help from the same Sheriff’s Office whose personnel killed him on the scene.

There was also a vehicular manslaughter case in this region, involving the same department investigating it looks like [ISP], where the police brass were upset because another officer told the truth on the witness stand:

Trooper Sam Ketchum – who was in the courtroom as the ISP’s zampolit, sent a text message to Lt. Col. Ralph Powell (who is now ISP Director), complaining that Carmack and Eller had “laid us out” by testifying truthfully, rather than endorsing the officially sanctioned fiction.

So whether or not the future story is the 'truth' or what they want to be the truth, well, Im guessing that might be left up to debate as well.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Oh, wow......

If the ranchers didn't ask for police assistance, then the police trespassed, and had no business being there. They also can't spin someone around, then claim the person was a threat to them. This is outrageous.

Ironically, the Sheriff's Office asked the rancher to go out and help with it:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

Should note for others [I didnt really make it apparent in the OP] the shooting happened involving the Sheriff's Deputies. Im guessing this is an odd case out or have there ever been any kind of complaints with the local Sheriff's office before?

Sidenote: It's puzzling to me because when I spent years growing up in rural areas, the farmers walked around with guns all the time. If their animals had been in an accident it'd be normal to contact them first, I guess in a situation with a raging bull its different, but I think the farmer's presence would be expected or wouldn't come off as a surprise at least.

Concerns me because even though they claim "fair" the ISPolice isn't exactly raved about aka known as "State Bulls".

Good for mentioning about the incident involved with them.

Wow, at a loss for words here, was hoping the updates weren't going to come out as an intentional killing but it seems more likely now,

Idaho rancher’s wife: ‘I saw them murder my husband’

Family members have shared with the Statesman their account of what happened last Sunday night. The account is in written statements prepared with attorneys the family hired after the incident, a video statement Donna Yantis made from her Boise hospital bed, and a draft transcript the lawyers prepared of one family member’s account of what happened.

The Statesman also interviewed several family members, including Rowdy Paradis, a nephew of the couple’s who said he witnessed the shootings.

“Law enforcement should be trained to de-escalate situations,” said Rowdy Paradis. “In this case, I stood 10 feet away and watched two deputies escalate the situation and needlessly kill a man.”

Source

edit on 9-11-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-11-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
protect and serve .....?

NO

Imagine ,... then slay !

RIP harmless old guy

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: radarloveguy
protect and serve .....?

NO

Imagine ,... then slay !

RIP harmless old guy

Maybe the guy got out of his vehicle and yelled "Imma kill me some pigs!! I mean a Bull!! A Bull!! " and they panicked, in fear of their lives, and had to execute him, I mean, defend themselves..

They're on paid administrative leave, so we know how this will turn out.. I mean if a cop can shoot someone twice in the back as he's face down, complying with her inaudible and incoherent, inconsistent orders, while being shot with 50,000 volts and get away with it.. these guys will certainly get away with it.

Seems the only way a cop gets punished is if they shoot a 6 year old autistic boy 5 times in the head.
edit on 9-11-2015 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   

If you're able, keep us up to date on the local sources. It's a lot easier for people to keep up with legitimate sources when one is actually from the area. I'd really like to hear the Sheriff Office side to this story. I'd like to think that deputies from a rural sheriff office would have more sense than this.
edit on 11/9/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: laminatedsoul

Paid leave ...?!

The new way to take a holiday !

America ... the new Brazil !

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
This is one of the most perplexing sequence of events I can recall seeing posted in the PC forum in like...ever. Dumb stuff gets done, bad decisions, etc. But this...this is just...what?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Bad news for the innocent rancher family...another injustice at the hands of two idiot people pretending to be responsible cops.

As for the cattle wandering around as they please into traffic...haven't Americans ever heard of...fences?

For the sake of a couple of lengths of wire, a few posts for a fence and a half dozen billion missing brain cells for the cops...that unfortunate rancher would still be alive now.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

If you're able, keep us up to date on the local sources. It's a lot easier for people to keep up with legitimate sources when one is actually from the area. I'd really like to hear the Sheriff Office side to this story. I'd like to think that deputies from a rural sheriff office would have more sense than this.

As opposed to leo's every where else.

?

Do you willingly ignore the murders/death they get away with? waiting for sanitised versions of events?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join