It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Really sad how Veterinarians have become Sales people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:24 PM
Its really sad how this practice has become more like a sales pitch of different drugs and pet food. Last week I took my 14 year old dog for his annual wellness exam.

Being that my 14 year old dog has had numerous vaccines for different diseases, one would think that a knowledgable vet would realize that he has probably built up an immunity to them, except for the rabies vaccine since that is required by law...however my vet sadly tried to get me to vaccinate my 14 year old dog for numerous diseases...diseases that he most likely has built up immunity way in hell am I vaccinating my dog 4 times in one day.

I also mentioned to him that I had found some fleas on instead of him telling me to treat my lawn or to get a flea and tick shampoo...he then prescribes me this new drug which is an insecticide in a pill way in hell am I giving an insecticide to my dog in pill the way this drug is called Bravecto..

I also brought up the issue of my dog beginning to slow down a bit since he sometimes limps after jumping off the couch...and again instead of him telling me to watch him or to get some stairs for him so he doesn't have to jump..he tells me to try this dog food that is made specifically for arthritic dogs....coincidentally this food is Science Diet...who would have guessed? He tells me to get him off orijen and on this food.

This food is pure junk...with whole grain corn listed as it's first it to Orijen which has Boneless Chicken as its first ingredient.

It's really hard to find a good vet these most Vets are only interested in making a quick buck instead of genuinely caring for our pets..I have decided to leave this Vet and will most likely try to consult a hollistic vet from now on. I'm tired of being asked if I want 10 different kinds of Vaccines for my dog everytime I take him to his annual checkup....Vet appointments have become more like sales pitches...It enrages me that these people who pet owners trust with the healthcare of their pets just see us as cash cows to be milked.

edit on 8-11-2015 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:33 PM
a reply to: muse7

Vets are thieves,they play on your heart strings for just gross profit,my girlfriends dog got a tick the other week,we had to take him in on sunday,they charged $1700 just for sunday,the dog was there 4 days for a total sum of $3800....the prices they charge are outrageous......

On another note my doggy will be turning 14 at Christmas,luckily he is a very healthy boy and hasn't needed a vet for many years ...

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:35 PM
I know what you are saying is true,and I would feed Orijen before I would ever touch Science diet for sure. I do know that on the issue of fleas,that part at least I can tell you that treating your lawn and the dog with shampoo is not the most effective. That is why they finally developed the pill to kill fleas.They had become such a problem with no end in site,a squirrel runs across your yard and fleas jump off it and then when your dog goes out,your dog gets them etc. I as a former dog groomer saw how bad it had gotten with the fleas,the dips we had available were no longer effective against them. People were screaming they were just so fed up with the fleas.

But on the other stuff,yes vets do push certain companies brands to try to sell them,and I really wish it would stop too.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:45 PM
If you don't know what you are buying, you shouldn't buy it.

Try and figure out what is really needed. My dog gets rabbis/parvovirus and distemper shots, that is it. Of course they will sell you anything that won't harm your dog but makes them money, they are a business, not a charity.

It won't take a lot of research for your breed. Rott's have special requirements for example, they can react to some and are extremely allergic to parvo, so missing this booster is being a stupid owner.

A dog chews on a rat with rabies and it is the most painful and excruciating experience you will see, that is unless it spreads to you.

Rabies phases
From pet

"Prodromal phase

The first is the prodromal phase and usually lasts for 2-3 days in dogs. Apprehension, nervousness, anxiety, solitude, and a fever may be noted. Friendly animals may become shy or irritable and may snap, whereas, aggressive animals may become affectionate and docile. Most animals will constantly lick the site of the bite. In cats, the prodromal phase lasts for only 1-2 days and they usually develop more fever spikes and erratic behavior than dogs.

Furious phase

From the prodromal phase, animals may enter the furious stage; cats are particularly prone to developing this phase. The furious stage of the disease in dogs usually lasts for 1 to 7 days. Animals become restless and irritable and are hyperresponsive to auditory and visual stimuli. As they become more restless, they begin to roam and become more irritable and vicious. When caged, dogs may bite and attack their enclosures. Animals progress to become disoriented and then have seizures and eventually die.

Paralytic (dumb) phase

Animals may develop the paralytic phase either after the prodromal or furious stage. The paralytic phase usually develops within 2 to 4 days after the first signs are noted. Nerves affecting the head and throat are the first to be involved and animals may begin to salivate as a result of their inability to swallow. Deep labored breathing and a dropped jaw may result as the diaphragm and facial muscles become increasingly paralyzed. Animals may make a choking sound and many owners think that there is something lodged in the dog’s throat. The animal will get weaker and eventually go into respiratory failure and die."

If it spreads to owner, there is no cure, you die.

Don't skimp on the pet shots, they are counting on you for their protection.
Having said that, screw the overcharging vets.

S, check out Taste of the Wild brand foods. Grain-free high protein w roasted Venison and Bison
edit on 11 by Mandroid7 because: added food

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:58 PM

Holy crap!! My Wife told me yesterday that the vet talked her into a pill (one pill per dog) for our 2 dogs - to treat for ticks and fleas. They were $50.00 for each pill !!! There goes $100, and to top that off, I found an engorged tick on my dog this morning. Damn, not even a kiss...........
edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:10 PM
You're right about them becoming salesmen OP. We were in the Vet office a couple of months back and I was noticing that there were two vets there, three girls behind the counter, and three people working in the back of the clinic assisting the two vets. Now that is a lot of payroll. I do not know if all these people were full time but know the vets and people up front were full time because my wife says they have been there a long time. That is a big expense, many people to provide for. Now I owned a business for a long time and know that constant high overhead makes you need to increase gross income to balance it.

I am sure the vet clinic needs insurance, they probably have a mortgage and pay property taxes on a prime commercial lot, and they have heat and lights and other utilities and also phone and probably internet costs.

Providing for these people and to keep the business viable can turn an honest person into a deceiver. Vets are usually nice people, wanting to do the right thing, but they also want to support those who are dependent on them for their livelihood.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:20 PM
Grain is too acidic for dogs, unfortunately its cheap so dog foods are bulked out with it. Avoid food with grains.

I worked for a pet food distributer and therefore had a lot of contact with the reps from the food companies.
The reps give the pet food to the vets for free!
The vets sell it for a high price, with the customer thinking it must be good because its from the vet!

Some of the things I heard or saw concerning pet food were just awful. Here's just one example. All the out of date sandwiches from the roadside service stations and stores etc are collected and sold to a well known pet food company. At the factory lorry loads of the sandwiches arrive and are tipped onto a heap. A loading machine scoops up the sandwiches and tips then into a giant hopper. It should be noted that the sandwiches are still in the plastic packaging!
The hopper dispenses the sandwiches onto a conveyer belt and from their they are dumped into a large grinding machine. From that machine brown pellets come out and are then shaped and bagged up ready for sale.
Out of date sandwiches and the plastic packaging is what many dogs will eat for the whole of their lives!

Most processed dog food is garbage. The dogs themselves will prove it. Put out some human poo and a bowl of dog food and see which your dog will choose! Yes I know its gross, but I saw this demonstrated! The dogs will choose the human poo.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:30 PM
Oh my, don't get me started!!! I have gone through every vet in my area, and all they care about is the money. I was in one's office when a frantic man came in with a pig in his truck having trouble trying to have her babies...he said I know you aren't a large animal vet...but you are the only one I could pig will die, please help her!!! She put her nose up in the air and said no, there is nothing I can do...and walked away. If she cared about animals...she would have tried!!! The office was practically empty, but she didn't even try to help. If they don't have a heart for animals, they need to do something else!!!!! For my Mom's dog, a tiny Chi....they want $600 to clean her teeth!!! What?!!?!!

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:37 PM
If you want to get rid of the diseases, you have to find the source of it and destroy it. Its just too bad America is currently an experimental subject to the Gov/Corporations. We would be living in a very disease clean world by now if Americans actually fight for it. Apart from headache, cold, and stomach ache because those are natural due to temperature environments. A lot of things in America is currently not natural from disease to parasites.
edit on 8-11-2015 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:46 PM
a reply to: Nettie

Lucky! They want $1,400 to clean my dog's teeth!

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:19 PM

I know what you mean! We had a vet try and tell us the dry skin the dog has was because of her "poor diet", because she wasn't eating the expensive foods, which, of course, the vet sells. She even stated that the "better brands" in stores would work, and next trip, was told the dog was eating those, so, of course, she "needed" the more expensive vet brands. All the dog actually needs is soothing shampoos, and an occasional dandruff one.

The cats, both very healthy, with glossy, beautiful coats, she claimed the same thing. All about the money, sadly!

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:24 PM
Veterinary offices make a bulk of money by pet food sales revenue. Not by procedures. The bulk of the cost for a procedure is paying for those instruments, etc. Somewhere of 80 percent of conditions that animals have are attributed to diet.

While they have that part right, not every office sells the right foods. Unfortunately am hearing more and more how the industry is going Big Pharma similar to the way human medical care is run. That is of not curing the condition but continually treating it. I suggest vet care that does not sell commercial name brand foods for a solution.

edit on 8-11-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:48 PM
That much money to clean teeth? Who would pay to have their dogs teeth cleaned?

I never saw a dog inspecting his teeth in the mirror. I bet they would rather have some dog bones than go get their teeth cleaned.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:57 PM
I think you really need to shop for a good vet. I've had very positive experiences the ones I've used (and my girlfriend).

My girlfriend and I were talking the other day and she was mentioning the lepto vaccine (I think). I asked her if I should get it for my dog, she laughs and says "I gave it to him a few months ago!".

"You vaccinated my dog without telling me!? Last thing I need is an autistic Border Collie!"

"You HELD him for me!"

"Oh yeah..."

Wish I was dating her when my dog needed multiple leg surgeries...

What vaccines did they want to give your pup? I do 4 personally, Bordetella, DHPP, Lepto and rabies.

That food you're using looks awesome, I'm going to compare it to what I'm feeding and see if it's worth the switch. For what it's worth my understanding is that Science Diet is used to help with certain ailments because they have the most reliable formulations or something along those lines. Dog food is apparently an incredibly contentious issue.

I use advantage and haven't had fleas on any dog in 20 years. I take my boy to the dog park often, and he has a ton of other opportunities to pick them up, but no. I personally prefer to pill my dog once a month than worry about it. I may look into the thing your vet recommended, it may be cheaper and sounds like you don't have to worry about it as often. It may also be complete BS and have safety concerns, but I kinda doubt it.

For your pup's arthritis you might look into fish oil (I can't remember if it helps with this, but I think so) and glucosamine (might be BS but there is a lot of good anecdotal evidence I don't think should be flat out ignored). Yeah, get steps. My dog is still young and spry, but I put an ottoman at the foot of my bed to keep his puppy joints from being overtaxed (because surgery is freaking expensive!).

I think there really is something to be said for seeking alternative treatments. It sounds ridiculous, but I know with horses and dogs massage can really help, and I'm sure you can easily find videos on what to do.

Lucky! They want $1,400 to clean my dog's teeth!

YIKES! I looked it up and the average is $300 unless they need to start pulling teeth. I need to start getting back on track brushing my dog's teeth. He likes it.

Sorry you're having a hard time with your vet, that sucks. They really do have us over a barrel. What kind of dog do you have, freaking love dogs.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:05 AM
When my now 11 year old cat turned 7, they told me that she now needed a thorough blood work up done every 3 months to the tune of $400 or somewhere close. Sorry, not going to happen. I love my cat, but there is no way I could budget that, and heaven forbid an emergency happened, it would make it impossible to cover.

Vets also tend to freak out when you tell them you feed a raw diet. Granted, it is dangerous if done improperly, you can't just start feeding your pet raw meat, without knowing the proper ratios, the importance of taurine and so on. The problem I have is even when I show them I am educated when it comes to feeding raw the right way, they try to tell me that my cat needs veggies? What vet school did you go to? Cats are obligate carnivorous. They do not need veggies and they really shouldn't have them. e-basics

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:54 AM
a reply to: rickymouse

Who would pay to have their dogs teeth cleaned?

Responsible pet owners. Dogs aren't immune to cavities. Dogs that don't have their teeth cleaned can develop a host of painful problems.

Go to a pet shelter and ask them how many teeth they have to extract every week. It's important for their health and keeping them from experiencing needless pain.

People don't notice that a dog is in a ton of pain when they eat, because the dog can't just say it. I've seen dogs with a ton of teeth rotted out and can't imagine how painful it would be.

Dogs aren't wolves. They live long pampered lives for the most part, but if you eschew dental care it may cause your dog a ton of pain (and expense for you) in the long run.

We took an old girl home for a few days while she was looking for a home, and she had trouble eating. It was clear it was incredibly painful for her to eat normal dry food. She got her teeth cleaned and the rotten ones removed and was much healthier and happier. You could SMELL the rot before.

Have you ever had a bad cavity? Hurts like crazy. Leave it alone along with a few others for a long time and have no way to communicate it hurts all the time but especially when you eat. There are a host of other issues that accompany tooth decay in dogs. It's not just pain, it also can greatly affect their health.

Yeah, dogs need teeth cleaning if you care about them. When we bring a dog into our home, we are responsible for them. If they need a teeth cleaning or a tooth removed, you're an ass if you don't do it. They don't get to say "Hey, this hurts so much I can't stand it!", they just do the best they can. You are their only advocate. So realize they can't tell you something hurts, prevent that hurt or get rid of it if you see damaged/rotting teeth.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:42 AM
When any money transaction is involved, the receivers are always sales people, even the government (actually probably the most aggressive sales people around, yes I consider the government as a big marketing firm). That is the way the world works, receiving money = finding ways to get more and on a more frequent basis. I can't think of any firm/service/organisation/medial entity that does not do marketing to gain more money.
Damn even dying costs an arm and a leg!
edit on 9-11-2015 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:55 AM

Why should Vets be any different than the rest of the commercial society we have been ensconced in? This is nothing new.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:01 AM

What is so surprising about that,doctors are sales people too,any chance they get they will try to sign you up for some sort of prescription drug/drugs.Pharmacies make good money off people easily fooled into thinking they need a certain drug for something cause the doctor said so,I had a good friend that had nothing wrong with him fooled by that scam and after he started taking the drugs they gave him he became a emotionless and brainless,all he does now is watch tv all day.He used to talk to people all the times even sparking up conversations with random strangers but that all changed about two or three days after he took their pills.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:14 AM
BLOODSUCKERS, your Vet's seems to be.........
When I take my pal/workbuddy (a 9 y.o. Belgian Malinois) to the vet, which he is excited about to see (if he could, he'd probably drive himself there), a regular check will cost me a WHOPPING $80-100. If/when he needs a "shot" or two maybe another $50-150. Teeth cleaning, which he rarely needs, another $150-200. I do however pay a couple of bucks extra for the dog food (with chicken or beef), since I want what's best for him, and when he's done a good days work I supplement the food with some extra yummy meat (elk, deer, reindeer etc.), 'cos he's worth it......

top topics

<<   2 >>