It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Missouri Football Players Boycotting Team Activities Until School President Leaves Office

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

It is rather despicable to fire him like this and sends the wrong signal IMO. If you want to fire the guy, then fire him.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I think all there backdoor deals forgot to include the fact that this sets precedent and after yrs of this we will implode.

Was implosion part of their strategy?

There is likely a key group of folks leading this charge and I hope they take a long look at their actions.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
So this is tongue in cheek and may get me flamed, but I'll ask it.

I see they fired the president, and I see their list of demands...

But, if I hop in my truck and drive up there next week, drive by and yell something stupid... What happens then? Just fire someone else?

What are they gonna do when they realize the only way to prevent stuff like that is to pay someone to wear a badge and a gun and harass everyone they see?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: XTexan

They better pay the right color people to wear that badge and gun and to only harass the people of the right color.

This won't end until they have revenge or a lot of people die or both.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Agree with that too but PC madness has seized the nation.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: TonyS

You need to catch up.

President Wolfe admitted the problems existed, and took course of action he deemed appropriate. He is, at the last, an honorable man.

You can second-guess as much as you want according to your own beliefs and ideology, but those are the facts.

No, the facts are that all of these demands we first levied because two drunks yelled a slur. The fact that this man was forced to resign or else risk the university he cared for lose millions of dollars and suffer protests from politically correct hatemongers does not mean there actually was systemic racism.

Here is the link to the transcript of his resignation.

www.columbiamissourian.com...
speech/article_b666ff76-8703-11e5-896f-87b19edd2aed.html

Where does he say here anything close to there being systemic racism on campus? He says he believes the anger from people is real, he says he takes blame for not creating more of a dialogue, but no where does he say anything about racism.

What did you want this man to say. "I am quitting because a bunch of social justice warriors used to drunks yelling slurs as an excuse to enact an pre planned agenda". Had he done that, the outrage would have continued. Although I disagree with his resignation, at least he handled it with class. This is better than the ridiculous demands that were released by the social justice warriors.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
At what point, do we as Americans stop judging people by the color of their skin, or for that matter, who they sleep with, who they fall in love with. I am about done, 55 YO's, and just really tired of the BS, next time I here the n word am punching someone in the throat.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
At what point, do we as Americans stop judging people by the color of their skin, or for that matter, who they sleep with, who they fall in love with. I am about done, 55 YO's, and just really tired of the BS, next time I here the n word am punching someone in the throat.

Yep, because using violence against someone who offends you is the answer. With that mindset, I am sure you will get to punch a bunch of throats for using that word when you end up in prison.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Is racism alive and well in the USA, all you have to do is read this thread.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is what unrestricted public opinion/democracy looks like. without laws and rules to look at, this is the end result. when a republic heeds to democracy this is the end result. expect much more of this until mob rule takes place.
these are people in college who are supposed to have more reason. sad sad day.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Oh, I would agree, but likely not in the way you think.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Yep, because using violence against someone who offends you is the answer. With that mindset, I am sure you will get to punch a bunch of throats for using that word when you end up in prison.

You know what, I, at this point don't really care. I am a white boy, and for those that cannot see the systemic and blatant racisim in this country I feel sorry for.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Oh, I would agree, but likely not in the way you think.

Ket, I know you and I do not agree on a lot of things, and I would agree, alive and well on both sides.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Wrong again.

The incidents that led to the University of Missouri president’s resignation - Washington Post

Now, I expect that list to be minimized, criticized and outright ignored ... those are significant events that far outstrip the "one or two events" narrative going on here ... but further, President Wolfe HIMSELF acknowledged that there are numerous problems that had gone unaddressed. (Read back if you want to see it.)

Keep on saying that he was fired, lynched, burned at the stake, whatever you guys need to say in order to satisfy your "outrage."

The facts are still the facts. Racism still exists in America in all forms. Pretending it's all a problem of "PC'" no better than pretending its all just fake "Racism."

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

a reply to: Grambler

Wrong again.

The incidents that led to the University of Missouri president’s resignation - Washington Post

Now, I expect that list to be minimized, criticized and outright ignored ... those are significant events that far outstrip the "one or two events" narrative going on here ... but further, President Wolfe HIMSELF acknowledged that there are numerous problems that had gone unaddressed. (Read back if you want to see it.)

Keep on saying that he was fired, lynched, burned at the stake, whatever you guys need to say in order to satisfy your "outrage."

The facts are still the facts. Racism still exists in America in all forms. Pretending it's all a problem of "PC'" no better than pretending its all just fake "Racism."

Those that have never experienced it, cannot believe it happens. I am a white boy, but have spent lots of time with black and chicano friends, yeah racism is alive and well.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

This has been discussed all day.

Basically, it started because he didn't acknowledge Ferguson in a manner the students liked. And from there, they drew the conclusion there was systemic oppression which I have yet to see any proof of beyond a couple of social media posted incidents of drunken idiots yelling racial slurs and a swastika smeared on a wall.

And because of this they have a list of demands that more or less upends the entire university culture and assumes that only blacks are adequate to participate in certain hiring decisions along with a list of hiring quotas among other things.

The demands have been posted earlier today if you scroll back far enough. It is far out of proportion to all reality.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

But what should he have done, exactly?

They may exist, I haven't looked, but are there police reports for these incidents? What actions have the police taken? I ask because harassment, hate crimes, and vandalism are criminal matters and as such should be investigated by the police, not a college president.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

This has been discussed all day.

Basically, it started because he didn't acknowledge Ferguson in a manner the students liked. And from there, they drew the conclusion there was systemic oppression which I have yet to see any proof of beyond a couple of social media posted incidents of drunken idiots yelling racial slurs and a swastika smeared on a wall.

And because of this they have a list of demands that more or less upends the entire university culture and assumes that only blacks are adequate to participate in certain hiring decisions along with a list of hiring quotas among other things.

The demands have been posted earlier today if you scroll back far enough. It is far out of proportion to all reality.

While I would agree with you about the demands, this stuff goes back a long way. Missouri, especially it's heartland, is not the most liberal territory. Just north of Columbia, is an area referred to as little Dixie, guess where my family inhabited since 1820. We have two large metro areas, but the rest of the state is fairly rural, and with all of the good values that go along with that. My ancestors owned slaves here in the state, do I feel guilty, no, but I do recognize that many of those here judge people by the color of their skin.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Wrong again.

Now, I expect that list to be minimized, criticized and outright ignored ... those are significant events that far outstrip the "one or two events" narrative going on here

First I will quote my opening post on this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...
(Perhaps you should read that thread to see how this situation is being handled quite differently than when whites are belittled or attacked)

Sept. 12: Missouri Students Association president Payton Head posts about a racial slur directed at him. He said someone yelled the n word at him from a truck, posted about it on facebook and it went viral. I think it is terrible that this happened to him, but this is hardly a huge deal. I am sure drunks yell inappropriate things everyday on campuses all over the country.

Oct. 5: Legion of Black Collegians members are the targets of racial slurs by a man on campus. So about a month later, another jerk using racial slurs in an argument with black people. Again, I don't defend this guy, but I don't see how this proves systemic racism. Call the authorities on this guy and be done with it.

Oct. 8: Loftin announces mandatory online diversity training for faculty, staff and students, which is met with widespread skepticism. So after only these two events, the chancellor announces diversity traing for the school. This actually seems beyond what I felt needed to be done. Two drunks shout a bad word and now the school totally changes their policies, costing who knows how much money. But still, this should prove that the school is looking out for minority students, right? Wrong! Activist say this is not enough!

Oct. 10: Members of Concerned Student 1950 protest during the MU Homecoming Parade, blocking a car carrying UM System President Tim Wolfe. So two days later, activist block a parade chanting about how the adminstration hasn't done enough to end discrimination. This is unbelievable. Remeber, up until this point, the only incidents were two drunks yelling the n word, and the university responding by making everyone take diversity classes. What do these people want?

Oct. 21: Concerned Student 1950 issues a statement of demands, including a formal apology from Wolfe and his removal from office. Here is what they want. A week and a half later they release their demands. Here they are:

1. A news conference of Wolfe reading a handwritten, formal apology.

2. The immediate removal of Wolfe as UM System President.

3. Enforcement of mandatory racial awareness and inclusion curriculum for all faculty, staff and students, controlled by a board of color.

4. An increase in the percentage of black faculty and staff to 10 percent by the 2017-18 academic year, and the development by May 1 of a 10-year plan to promote a safer, more inclusive campus.

5. An increase in funding to hire more mental health professionals for the MU Counseling Center, particularly those of color, and more staff for the social justice centers on campus.

All of this because two drunks yelled the n word. Doesn't this seem dubious? This whole agenda seems like it was already in the works and that these racists that yelled these words were just the impetus to get this agenda enacted. How will hiring more mental health workers of color stop a drunk from yelling the n word?

Oct. 24: A swastika using human feces is drawn on a bathroom wall in MU's Gateway Hall. This seems like the worst of the incidents. Now keep in mind, this is already AFTER all of these demands were made. Even still, this just seems like a gross act of vandalism. I went to a state school on PA, and saw all manner of vial things wrote on bathroom stalls, about race going both ways, as well as sexual preference, weight, etc. The point is although smearing feces is unbelievably gross, there wasn't a specific threat or anything made to anyone. The activists demanding a total change in the hiring policies and curriculum changes and demanding the firing of the President were more than happy to show this as proof of why there demands need to be met.

Oct. 27: Concerned Student 1950 meets with Wolfe, but no issues are resolved. Members of the group said Wolfe did not agree to any of the demands they sent to him the previous week. Oh really? He didn't agree to make a humiliating apoplgy and step down and completely change his campus because two drunks yelled the n word. Who would have thought?

You can read the rest of the timeline on the source I linked, but basically it is just students having hunger strikes and people supporting them and football players striking.

So all of this outrage over two people yelling the n word. No violence, just words. and yet this story is receiving national media attention and people even on this site or expressing outrage over Mizzou's campus. This is ridiculous. Keep in mind, after the n word was yelled by two drunks, the school started to make everyone take sensitivity training, but this was not enough.

Your list is the same as this with two additions, some moron drew a swastika on a wall and got arrested, and Ferguson happened. Neither of these things seem to indicate a culture of systemic racism at Mizzou that was being ignored by Wolfe.

Which of these are significant events? The only side ignoring facts is your side. My side has meticulously gone through the time line, and the list of demands, and your side has said "You are ignoring that racism exists!" without addressing any of our points.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

Not disagreeing with you, but Columbia itself is a lot like Lawrence, KS, in its own environment. Residents of Kansas don't call Lawrence the Peoples Republic of Lawrence for no reason. Like most college towns, Columbia is very progressive in its moods and attitudes thanks to the rarified air of academia.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join