It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Missouri Football Players Boycotting Team Activities Until School President Leaves Office

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Definately sounds like a hate crime against the President. They are looking for someone to blame for their football failings and you can bet lawyers are involved. let them not play and see how they feel then. Racist punks.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

Or maybe the students that paid tuition should be able to attend school free of harassment?

Nahhhh what I'm I saying? They are black so there grievances MUST be misplaced/inflated amirite?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
So of course, the only options are ludicrous extremes ... do nothing (the obvious choice of right-wingers) because there's no possibility of any racial issues because, in Red America, racism doesn't exist ... OR ...

... the President of the University should ban 83% of the students (i.e. the White ones) and cut out the tongues of any who disagree.

Yeah, those are the only two options on the table. That's what folks are advocating for here.

How's about we actually try to find out what actually happened and stop all the BS until we know something, and then determine what needs to be done, eh?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Tsubaki

College is supposed to prepare them for life. You can't pay for safe spaces in the real world.

I agree it's unfair that people say mean things. They taught me that in 1st grade though...

You tell me. What should this guy have done that would have been sufficient?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
There's a vast difference between "saying mean things" and a pattern of racial harassment and terrorism.

It's good to see what is truly at the heart of right-wing ideology though ... same as it ever was.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: Metallicus

If you say it doesn't have to do with the President being white then you are more naive than I thought you were.

And if you think the only reason why they are protesting is because he is white then you just want to blame blacks for daring to say something to a white man. Now go back to FOX and Rush and daydream about the good old days when the black man knew his place.

Sorry, but this is beyond ridiculous. It is in fact apparently about 3 recited incidents. Even the link you provided only recounts 2 incidents and a graffiti incident. Then today, we have:
hosted.ap.org...

1) "The protests began after the student government president, who is black, said in September that people in a passing pickup truck shouted racial slurs at him.";
2) "In early October, members of a black student organization said slurs were hurled at them by an apparently drunken white student." Then:
3) "Two trucks flying Confederate flags drove past the site Sunday afternoon, a move many saw as an attempt at intimidation. "

Now, the Black Student's union is demanding "among other things, that Wolfe "acknowledge his white male privilege," that he is immediately removed, and that the school adopt a mandatory racial-awareness program and hire more black faculty and staff."

When I see the baloney "white privilege" thing, and the lack of any substantial evidence of racial intimidation, it screams to me of manufactured outrage. And, its outrage manufactured by the "White Privilege"/Social Justice agitators hard at work throughout the University and Collegiate systems. And what is it really all about? It's about money; its about forcing the school(s) to adopt "mandatory racial-awareness programs", i.e., a curricula requiring text books and work books and specially trained lecturers all produced and trained up by the so-called Social Justice industry. Its a friggin' jobs program.

And then we wonder why college costs have soared out of control? I'm damned glad I'm not in University today; besides the outrageous costs, the atmosphere of constant harassment from supposedly aggrieved special interest groups has to be god-awful oppressive.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Reminds me of a Talking Heads song.

And yeah I really feel you are blowing things out of proportion and creating some pattern of racial harassment and (I can't believe you actually used this word, it's laughable) terrorism.

I didn't read anything that made it sound like this was a collective group of people actively terrorizing the minority students with an expressed goal. Sounds like some random "word violence" which is an unfortunate side effect of Free Speech.

"How's about we actually try to find out what actually happened and stop all the BS until we know something, and then determine what needs to be done, eh?"

So we don't know for sure, but it's definitely racist and maybe we throw in some terrorism too, that's a hot buzzword right now.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

What has to happen to "prove" racial intimidation by your standards? Cross burnings? Lynchings?

The situation is simply not based on one or two isolated incidents no matter how much some are trying to promote that BS.

So I guess the President is also lying and kow-towing to a "few Black students"?

A statement from Wolfe on Friday said: "Today I again had the opportunity to meet with MU graduate student Jonathan Butler who continues a hunger strike protesting the inequalities, inequities, and obstacles faced by students, faculty and staff at the University of Missouri. I am very concerned about Jonathan’s health. His voice for social justice is important and powerful. He is being heard and I am listening. I am thankful for the leadership provided by him and the other student leaders in raising awareness of racism, injustice, and intolerance. This afternoon I also met with representatives of several student groups and I value their input and hear their voices.

"Racism does exist at our university and it is unacceptable," the statement said. "It is a long-standing, systemic problem which daily affects our family of students, faculty and staff. I am sorry this is the case. I truly want all members of our university community to feel included, valued and safe.

Sure, these kids have nothing to be concerned about ... even the "too little too late" President is on board.

Source: ABC News

Seems that the courageous actions of both White and Black members of the MISSOURI football squad paid off, eh?

Or, conversely, we could hypothesize that the President, the Faculty, the Head Coach, the Missouri Governor ... are all just playing along.

(Which is probably among the next posts.)
edit on 9Mon, 09 Nov 2015 09:41:27 -060015p0920151166 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Remember my post earlier about some people just not being worth the time boys?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla

Remember my post earlier about some people just not being worth the time boys?

LOL ... remember my post earlier about what the President of the University had to come out and admit because of what these "agitators" did? I guess sitting around opining about what has happened when you actually know zilch about it has been proven wrong again.

Oh, btw, being worth the time to the "boys" is vastly overrated.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I think it's great. And the Football coach is firmly behind his players.

There is whole list of incidents that led up to this.

What does this teach? That non violent protest and solidarity can get results. Now, if we would all do this, we could get all the crooks out of Washington.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Definately sounds like a hate crime against the President. They are looking for someone to blame for their football failings and you can bet lawyers are involved. let them not play and see how they feel then. Racist punks.

So the white football players are racist against the white school president?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The president just resigned. Just hit the wire.

The board of directors for the system is holding a press conference. The president accepted responsibility for inaction.
edit on 9-11-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Typo and add

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Absolutely disgusting.

The people calling for his head should be ashamed.

A modern day witch hunt/lynching.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteMale
a reply to: Shamrock6

Absolutely disgusting.

The people calling for his head should be ashamed.

A modern day witch hunt/lynching.

He admitted his lack of action. He's shown late courage to do the right thing.

You do realize that the end of a witch hunt and/or lynching was death ... right?

A new member full of hyperbole and scorn ... welcome to ATS!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

So I assume you think Dorthy Bland should show "late courage" and step down as well?

edit on 9-11-2015 by WhiteMale because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Wow, I didn't expect that. Wolfe has shut down this impending storm (be it a justified storm or not) cold. Smart move IMO...he doesn't get dragged through the mud in a months long battle that there's no way for him to win. Also a clear and public victory for anti-racism has been achieved at UM.

"What now?" is the question... Where will the students now set their sights? Will they refocus on another target? Will they just go back to class and sports? I have a feeling most of the students that wanted Wolfe gone will have a sense of disappointment that this ended so quickly and without fanfare.

EDIT: Don't misinterpret that last statement as "I think the students will mindlessly target the next white person they see!" or anything like that. What I mean is that they seemed to have all of this built up energy & emotion that was being used to fight this battle and now have no battle to fight.
edit on 11/9/2015 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well well well. I've been following this thread with interest and looks like a couple members have been proven right and others woefully wrong. The contra arguments that were made, concerning the legitimacy of the strike and claims the black players made (supported by other non-black players and faculty) which justified their striking, were disingenuous at core. Those like Gryphon who dealt with the facts of the situation as outlined in media reports, without using race as a smokescreen, and being for the player's actions, gave a clear impression of standing for truth instead of bull#. It seems that ultimately their "claims" were legitimatized and vindicated on this Monday morning, which shows that this was not about race but about human decency, and just how much power simply saying "No" to injustice carries.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteMale

So I assume you think Dorthy Bland should show "late courage" and step down as well?

Does that have anything to do with this topic?

Did Ms. Bland's lies affect anyone but her? Is the situation in any way, shape, form or fashion similar to what we ARE discussing? Lies are lies. Why don't you follow the courage of your convictions, as the students at Missouri did, and take action? Start a hunger strike.

I'm not sad to see the facts overcame blatant racist ideology; are you?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

If the students use this "victory" to do anything but lessen racial tensions and discrimination, make their school a safer environment for everyone, and show the respect that they have earned to others, I will be very disappointed.

Perpetuating racism does nothing to reduce racism.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join