It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Indictment Of Atheists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I happened on this post from a tumblr blog in my research. The blogger is on the more extreme end of feminism, and a misandrist as well. I found this particular post of hers, and her indictment of atheists...interesting.

Why I’m anti-theist and anti-deist, not atheist -

Atheism is a male institution predicated on the idea that disbelieving in a god while simultaneously benefiting from the woman-oppressing power structures created by a belief in god makes one superior not only to women, but also to god-believers in general. Ridding the world of god-belief is not the goal, in fact, it would destroy the institution of atheism as a male power center if god-belief disappeared. It is, therefore, simply another identity that men wear to prop up their social status and assert dominance while feigning a disinterest in the very religious power structures they depend upon for their continued exalted existence.

Anti-theism and anti-deism are active rejections not only of a god or the god, but also of the power structures that god-belief is used to justify. Anti-theism is an idea, not an identity, and it centers a goal of change of the most fundamental levels and tenets of human interaction. To put it simply, atheism is still about a god or the god, anti-theism is about people.

Why I'm anti-theist and anti-deist. Not atheist
If I'm reading this right. Atheism is an institution. And there is a conspiracy among men to profess non-belief in deities, but leave the misogynistic religious power base in place so as to maintain superiority and oppression not only over women, but also over "god-believers". So we have a small percentage of the population of earth. Male atheists. Who have created an institution that uses religion for its own ends.

Now to clarify. I do see what she's getting at. She sees the average (male)atheists ambivalence toward religion as approval, and by extension support. If male atheists really believed in equal rights and status for women, they would actively reject that controlling and misogynist power base, and seek to dismantle it. Or at the very least, expose it and strip it of its authority.

However, seeing her point and agreeing with it are two different matters. There are a number of factors I don't think she has considered. I think she has fallen for the same trap that some conspiracy theorists fall into. She has built a straw man of mega-proportions without any legs for him to stand on. I would be the last to not recognize that women have been treated like dirt by religion and society historically, and into today.

But to say that all men who fail to actively oppose the misogynist religious hierarchy, and their gods, approves, and even uses them to their advantage, is missing the fact that the average male likely doesn't even know about these things, let alone understand them. As a society, we are ignorant of many things. Those who DO take an interest in learning about this, and many other facets of socio-religious structure are few in comparison to the population.
edit on 11/8/2015 by Klassified because: fix link

+16 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

The author lost me here:

Atheism is a male institution predicated on the idea that disbelieving in a god while simultaneously benefiting from the woman-oppressing power structures created by a belief in god makes one superior not only to women, but also to god-believers in general.

Atheism is not an institution.

Atheism is not exclusively male.

I've never heard any atheist claim to be superior to women.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

Actually she's partially right. In the atheism sub reddit there are reports of female atheists being harassed by many of their fellow male atheists.

Warning language:

skepchick.org...

edit on 8-11-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Not another one of those poor atheists are always being victimized threads?

edit on Rpm110815v04201500000028 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
(grabs popcorn)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Sounds just like you'd be expect an Antitheist-Feminazi to sound...

Ranting and raving about oppression that doesn't exist for people with the opportunity to use Tumblr or whatever social media people prefer.

It's just a victimisation complex and I have a good mind to tell her to dust of my Quran, make me a cup of Tea and sod off.

By that would probably feed her victim complex.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Lol. I love it. Touche Randall.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
my own atheism is entirely personal and agenda-free. religion just doesn't float my boat. but to those for whom it does, i say 'sail on'.
edit on R2015th2015-11-08T12:08:30-06:0020150pm3114 by RoScoLaz4 because: edit

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

The author lost me here:

Atheism is a male institution predicated on the idea that disbelieving in a god while simultaneously benefiting from the woman-oppressing power structures created by a belief in god makes one superior not only to women, but also to god-believers in general.

Atheism is not an institution.

Atheism is not exclusively male.

I've never heard any atheist claim to be superior to women.

Agreed, but this is the kind of rhetoric that's being pushed in the hardline feminist circles. And I thought some of my conspiracies were out there. I feel somewhat normal now.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Atheists didn't used to be organized until the Internet came along. Then they started to form their own organizations to prove they can be just "holy" as the "holy ones."

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Atheists didn't used to be organized until the Internet came along. Then they started to form their own organizations to prove they can be just "holy" as the "holy ones."

Why would individuals who don't believe in gods try to appear to be "holy" again?

Or are you just sniping with no evidence as usual?

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Actually she's partially right. In the atheism sub reddit there are reports of female atheists being harassed by many of their fellow male atheists.

Warning language:

skepchick.org...

Goodness.

Yep, some internet sites are populated by numb-skulls.

Do you think the comments of a handful of individuals speak to making generalizations of all atheists everywhere though?

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Some would be shocked to discover that I find hard-line radical feminists just as obnoxious, in general, as any other extremist.

That is one of the few cultural venues that all the whining and crying of the right over "PC culture" is absolutely spot-on.

In my opinion only of course; your mileage may vary.
edit on 12Sun, 08 Nov 2015 12:20:28 -060015p1220151166 by Gryphon66 because: So ----> Some

link   
If I am being honest, the new feminists never make any sense to me. I love women and I have a wonderful wife and daughter, but my support for women ends when it becomes vindictive and angry.

link   

originally posted by: randyvs

No if you read everything that's not what this is. it is about another femi-nazi pushing the agenda of "every one and thing inthe universe including your grandmother and the termites building mounds are conspiring with authoritative male dominated institutions to continue subjugating, degrading and oppressing women everywhere until the end of time" and this is a simple deconstruction and observation of that very agenda.

I think its safe to say this had nothing to do with pushing athiests as a victim and more recognizing the deranged rants of a super feminist.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
If I am being honest, the new feminists never make any sense to me. I love women and I have a wonderful wife and daughter, but my support for women ends when it becomes vindictive and angry.

In the case of some radical feminists, it's not limited to vindictiveness or anger.

It is more often pure nonsense presented as fact.

Have we actually found an area we agree on, Metallicus? LOL

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

????????
Erm, do you understand what atheism even is?

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Well I'm not saying all atheists are sexist (In fact I myself is Spiritual Atheist)

I believe the underlying issue lies with the fact that female atheists are more likely to be attacked by their own fellow atheists than male atheists themselves.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

I think its safe to say this had nothing to do with pushing athiests as a victim and more recognizing the deranged rants of a super feminist.

I know, but do you think for a minute I was going to pass up
an open invitation to a cheap shot?

You better learn to Klassify!

SnF
edit on Rpm110815v31201500000057 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Well I'm not saying all atheists are sexist (In fact I myself is Spiritual Atheist)

I believe the underlying issue lies with the fact that female atheists are more likely to be attacked by their own fellow atheists than male atheists themselves.

Do you think that those "attacks" have something to do with being an atheist?

And I'm really not trying to pick on you, but that's a pretty wide general claim, isn't it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join