It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have Vista, but...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Ok so I am running vista atm, which I have had no issues with as of yet. I want to get Fallout 4, although every spec list I read starts with Win 7. Now, I'd rather not get a new OS, but if I have to, I want to get Win 7 or 8 as I want nothing to do with 10. Is there a legal way to get win7/8? Thanks in advance for advice

PS, I have a PS4, but my hands are kinda messed up (Holt Oram if your interested) and prefer to use a keyboard and mouse. Anyone know if PS4 version supports Keyboard and mouse?
edit on 8-11-2015 by Autorico because: Added stuffs

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

You should be able to run it on Vista as long as your hardware meets requirements so I wouldn't worry.... as long as it's 64 bit.

edit on 8-11-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I think I'll need to get more ram (i have 5g) and a new video card, as it is only 1g.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Yep memory is king , the more the merrier.
As for the video card that depends on what you're running at the moment but 2 gig on bord does seem to be becoming the norm although you will probably get away with 1gb.
2 days to go !

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I may triple dose my sleep meds and sleep 'til the 10th!

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

You can get an EVGA GTX 960 for around $200, or less depending on rebates.

8-12GB of ram is all you should really need for the most part. You can get 8GB of Gskill ram for around $60.

If for some reason you're forced to upgrade, I'd suggest Windows 7 over 8. You can still get Windows 7 64bit here:

Windows 7

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
There are no pics of the back of the ps4 package yet, so I can't tell if there will be kb/m support

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Figured I'd put my specs on here:

AMD Phenom 9750 Quadcore 2.4ghz

5Gb ddr2 ram

NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1GB

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

For the best performance I'd recommend you get it on the PS4 .
You can get a keyboard and mouse for your PS4 , not cheap but probably cheaper than a new graphics card.
www.engadget.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
So you've bought into the Windows 10 horror stories eh? Ok. Then go with Windows 7. At least it fixes most of the issues Vista had, and is a more stable and smooth OS. You can buy it from newegg.com. Get the 7 Pro OEM FULL version. It's cheaper, and you want a clean install anyway. Don't go the upgrade route. Nevertheless, as Gortex said, you should be able to run it on Vista, except for maybe DirectX issues you may run into.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

If your PSU has the room on it, I was just incidentally doing some reading and Amazon has a R7 370x with 4 gigs of video RAM for $149.99 with an additional $10 rebate.

Link to video card.

That's a pretty solid deal.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
So you've bought into the Windows 10 horror stories eh? Ok. Then go with Windows 7. At least it fixes most of the issues Vista had, and is a more stable and smooth OS. You can buy it from newegg.com. Get the 7 Pro OEM FULL version. It's cheaper, and you want a clean install anyway. Don't go the upgrade route. Nevertheless, as Gortex said, you should be able to run it on Vista, except for maybe DirectX issues you may run into.

Funny isn't it.. I remember people saying the same about Vista too when it first came out "I'll never upgrade from XP, to that horrible Vista. They can shove it !!!!"

And so on we continue...

I'm still running an old dual core g850 haha.. with 6gb ram. and an old hd5850.

I won't be playing anything new on this...
I'll stick with cod4.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The problem you will run into with Vista if you build your own comps is that you may have problem getting new hardware to work off of it. We had Vista and the upgrade to Win 7 and when we got our last mobos, we couldnt' get the mobo to talk to Vista to get online. So basically, we had to borrow the Win 7 discs to get our comp running.

You can buy Win 7 discs if you build your own, but you have to look around some.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
If you are deciding to get Windows 7 you better hurry up. Windows 7 cannot be purchased from a big box store. However, It may still be downloaded someplace. But there is more bad news. I read somewhere that Microsoft sometime next year will be forcing Windows users to download and use Windows 10. So d/l Windows 7 before the end of the year. Also upgrade your ram and video card. "More Ram is Better".

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

I've got both Windows 7 Professional and Windows 10 Home on my laptop. While they both have the control bar at the bottom and icons on the screen, the worst changes are the Windows Live tiles on the startup menu as well as having every windows function renamed to the point that you can only use the builtin Internet search engine. I find it irritating that every task I'm trying to do is being broadcast across the Internet. Don't forget the the automatic update feature, that you can't switch off.

Windows Live bit on the start menu just drives me nuts as much as the flat shaded tiles - if Microsoft had used a bubble-wrapping/shiny plastic style shading scheme it would have looked a bit more stylish, but no, they decided to do something that looks half finished.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I find it irritating that every task I'm trying to do is being broadcast across the Internet.

Don't think for a moment previous Windows weren't doing the same thing. It was just done differently, and more covert.

Windows 10 has its negatives, just like its predecessors. But it also fixes things they never got right in previous versions. USB 3 and Networking have both been improved. Both were problematic for Win 7. Automatic updating can be stymied. Do a search on google and youtube for the many functions that can be shut down and short circuited. There are even programs written to do just that. Windows 10 privacy tools.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Ya, I'm going to see if my current KB/M is compatible with my ps4. If not, i'll most likely wait to get the game and upgrade my ram (at the least) and vid card. I'm not someone who needs to run the game at max settings, low to med is fine for me, as long as I can play the game.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Not sure if you know, is there a way to set up win 10 to emulate xp/vista? I really hate the tile screen and only want to use the "normal" desktop.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I don't see myself getting it as I am on metered broadband and it look's to be a huge download which would essentially mean me paying twice as much for the game, that said it is the first Bethesda title to actually require a native 64 bit operating system from the early spec's and favour multiply core CPU's though it will likely still run on 32 bit it will therefore be slower.

The minimum graphics to get a playable frame rate are or were also touted as being a geforce 760 so it will likely be hardware intensive.

It will be on steam for years to come so I would wait until you get a new PC with more powerful hardware and wait to see what the reviews online as to how it performs on current low and medium range rig's come out but best of luck and I have to admit I am tempted myself but since I am not midas I shall have to remain tempted.

On a side note if you like vista then all that seven really is, well it is vista fixed as vista was bloatware with a lot of excess code and I personally think Microsoft have made three good operating systems so far, 98 which is now useless and hopelessly outdated, XP which was superb but also now outdated and Seven, I had Vista home edition but seven 64 ultimate which I replaced it with was far better, now I am running Microsoft spy central AKA windows 10 64 but my hardware is now a little long in the tooth.

My advice give it a pause until you see how the ground lies, Bethesda always release patches within the first few months anyway and like there other games it will be geared toward DLC downloads which they are probably making now even before they release this game so expect areas you can not go yet or holes in the map ready for them.

edit on 8-11-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
a reply to: Klassified

Not sure if you know, is there a way to set up win 10 to emulate xp/vista? I really hate the tile screen and only want to use the "normal" desktop.

Win10 is a "normal" desktop. The Metro menu of Win 8 has been replaced with a start menu/tiles together which can be resized to some extent. A hybrid of 7 and 8. Much better than 8 or 8.1 though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join