It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Using Horses At London Protests Is Outdated

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:27 AM
I hope so, however I've come to believe that people are too comfy to see what's right in front of them
Would I like to see a "British Spring" hell yeah
When places like Ukraine kick off its because of he corruption apparently, when it happens here it's anarchists and criminals apparently

We are too placid and controlled to mount an effective grass roots change, kinda one reason why I'm apreciative of certain religious and cultural immigrants. They don't take s**t and know how to have an impact
a reply to: Shiloh7

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:35 AM

originally posted by: AlphaPred
Would I like to see a "British Spring" hell yeah
You live in a #ty part of the UK then?
I'm quite happy with the way life is here in SW England, plenty of poor folk here as well but no calls for a "British Spring", maybe it's the sea air.
You go and riot as much as you like about first world problems in the UK, but keep it in your #ty part of the island wherever that is.
You won't see it happening down these parts, we look after each other and get on with enjoying decent communities without sucking at the teat of the state and bitchin' all the time.
...just as skint down South, just less of the victim card all the time. Personal responsibility is all, but some folk don't even know what that means.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:40 AM

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

I have.

True story.

Horses can be trained to attack people.The attackee will be in a sorry state afterwards.I believe police horses are trained to push rather than clomp.I still feel sorry for the poor things.I've been around horses for years and love the daft lumps.

Agreed, push rather than stomp / clomp, in my experience anyways. Bottom line, its a human tool only doing what it is trained to do, that's why my German Shepherd's can not get their heads around and about Nov 5th, they ain't been trained so cower at this time of year

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 01:05 PM
a reply to: intrptr

During the student protests here a few years back horses were hastily used to clear a road that had been spontaneously blocked by students during a march. A young lady who could not get out of the way due to the crowd hemming her in had her foot broken and dislocated. Other harm occurred around the same time including to children and a pregnant woman.

There is footage of expert horsewomen at British demonstrations standing their ground and stroking the horses as they pass.

When a horse intends to hurt you it can pick you up in it's teeth, throw you down, and attempt to stamp on your chest. I've been there looking up. The same horse also defended me from attack twice. Once by putting his nose into an aggressive drunk's belly and flicking him into the ditch. Once by standing on a violent drug damaged psychotic man's bare foot and leaning his weight onto it.

Horses can be extremely intelligent and very capable of making their own decisions regardless of training. Sometimes they will act before a human has had time to understand the situation.

Due to diverse actions carried out during demonstrations in Britain the police horses have been on the point of a herd panic response and a literal stampede on several occasions. This must not be allowed.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 01:32 PM
Watching the video, all I kept thinking was - look at that wet, slippery cement! I would not ride my horse on that, unless sure everything would remain calm, and we'd stay at a walk.

Even a horse that has been desensitized to most of the surrounding stimuli is likely to react differently if they are feeling too insecure. Faced with the dark obscure conditions, the fireworks, shouting, and walking on a virtual ice rink (a shod horse would experience it that way)... well, you got the perfect recipe for a freak out.

In the past, even cobbled streets offered more grip during wet conditions than smooth cement!

There might be some influencial changes in current times, in the horses, as suggested. The way trainers relate to horses has evolved a bit. Making a war horse requires a certain attitude, which is these days considered abuse.
That might play into it.
Also, we breed for intelligence these days, which has not always been the case. I know some old timers that actually like to say the worst horses to have are intelligent ones, precisely because you have to be more intelligent to work with them. They aren't as likely to be blindly obedient. Which is what you want when you are asking them to go against their natural instincts and walk into people.

But it this whole question about police horses today based solely upon that video, and this one persons account of how horses with no rider were fleeing (normal), or a horse with a frightened rider was reflecting the same fear? (also normal).

One of my best friends in the world is a mounted policeman, and he's had two horses in his career so far. They go down to Spain to choose spanish purebreds, who are started with the spanish doma vaquera methods. They use some rather harsh tools for beginning, which makes for horses that are not too squeemish.
edit on 8-11-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 01:34 PM

edit on 2015-11-08T14:49:29-06:002015Sun, 08 Nov 2015 14:49:29 -0600bSunday4911America/Chicago152 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 01:36 PM
Police horses are used for two reasons only 1. because of its weight people on foot can be forcibly moved, and 2, it puts the police rider above the action so he has a better view of where to direct his next action. Just remember police never use just one horse, they are used in unison.
But by and far the best reason horses are used is that we are a nation of animal lovers (at times some animal lovers would see a human die rather than an animal) and that is a double edged sword. Do whatever the police want their job is done. But woe betide anyone that merely scratches a horse and the propaganda machine goes into overdrive. Hence all the pistures of the horses injured.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 01:36 PM

grainofsand I'm SW, invite to your world please
edit on 2015-11-08T13:39:08-06:002015Sun, 08 Nov 2015 13:39:08 -0600bSunday3911America/Chicago151 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 01:40 PM

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

I'm SW, invite to your world please
Yeah but are you really SW?
I see folk from Bristol and Swindon saying SW but they ain't really are they? lol
Tell me about your #ty area of either Devon or Cornwall and then we can talk, but I'd say you'd be bull#ting if you made out it was some horrid nightmare.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 01:59 PM

edit on 2015-11-08T14:48:06-06:002015Sun, 08 Nov 2015 14:48:06 -0600bSunday4811America/Chicago152 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:01 PM
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Cobbled streets and stony tracks create points of high pressure that chip lumps off hooves. Shoes nailed onto the hoof are a solution to chipped hooves. The downside is poor physical condition of the whole foot/sole/hoof. The solution to this is barefoot horses. A properly managed barefoot horse may be able to manage some tarmac and concrete, but could suffer chipped hooves on stony tracks and cobbles.

Due to damage inside the shod hoof, it can take as long as a year after you remove the shoes -- called the "transition year" -- to rebuild internal tissues and grow out a high quality, tough hoof wall that is well attached to the coffin / pedal bone (P3). While this may seem like a long time, if you leave the shoes on, the hoof will not have a chance to heal at all, resulting in the loss of many useful years of life for the horse.

Hoof boots are a standard and recommended tool for the transition from shod to barefoot. For the first several months after pulling the shoes, horses should use front hoof boots for riding. Some will need boots during the entire "transition" year, especially those that work on paved or gravel roads, rocky trails, or frozen ground, to protect sensitive internal tissues while they heal.

Horses that live on soft footing, or are insulin resistant (IR), may always need hoof boots for riding on rough or hard surfaces. Horses that work on paved roads should use boots on all four feet, to prevent excess wear of their hooves; pavement is very abrasive.

Hoof boots are getting better every year. When I started this website in 2000, the only boot available was the original Easy Boot, which was less than an ideal design. In 2014, there are perhaps a dozen very good boots and glue-ons that I know of (including greatly improved Easy Boots), and likely another dozen that I have not heard about. I recommend searching the Internet.

Horses that work on soft arena footing can be sore from lack of concussion. They should be walked 10 minutes on a firm surface before and after the arena work to relieve congestion in the hooves. The hoof is "designed" to go on firm ground so that it flexes at every step, causing ample blood supply inside the foot.

If you take the nailed shoes off the hoof, with proper care the whole foot becomes stronger and healthier.

There are several overboots available. Downsides are they make the horse clumsy and they can cause unhealthy sweating of the sole.

This is the old Japanese way.

. . . tied around the ankle with straw rope, and are made of the ordinary rice-straw, braided so as to form a sole for the foot about half an inch thick.

I made woven shoes for my horse inspired by the Japanese shoes. The first time I led him out on the road I was very unsettled for the first mile or two. He was padding along like a cat, all my ancient senses were telling me a creature that big that didn't make a hoof noise on hard ground must be a mega predator.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:04 PM

edit on 2015-11-08T14:47:00-06:002015Sun, 08 Nov 2015 14:47:00 -0600bSunday4711America/Chicago152 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:12 PM

edit on 2015-11-08T14:46:15-06:002015Sun, 08 Nov 2015 14:46:15 -0600bSunday4611America/Chicago152 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:40 PM
a reply to: Kester

Really interesting, about the japanese boots! I've never seen that before!

My horse is barefoot, I'm lucky she has excellent feet, and even gravel isn't a problem for her. But that isn't the case for every horse.

The police horses are kept in stalls, which is what make shoes necessary, to prevent hoof rot.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 05:07 PM
I would tend to agree, being from the SW myself (Plymouth, Tavistock, teighnmouth, Princetown, loo, tregantle and camels head)big surfer cyclist walker climber and conservationist in my day
It's just the further SW you go the slower life gets
Plymouths bit of a dive
But to be honest perhaps you are happy with your local environment, but then why care about apathy right

To add I fully support an independent Kernow . And pledge my services freely to its security and wellbeing. A lot could be learnt from the SW's approach

Even if it is a bit
"Beware the moon lad, and stick to t roads"
a reply to: grainofsand

edit on 8/11/2015 by AlphaPred because: Added

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 05:43 PM
a reply to: Kester

Due to diverse actions carried out during demonstrations in Britain the police horses have been on the point of a herd panic response and a literal stampede on several occasions. This must not be allowed.

I agree with that. After seeing the video you brought again I noticed the horses weren't shoulder to shoulder, they didn't have enough mounts, the gaps between them were too wide. The firework somebody threw startled them big time causing them to bolt. If they had run the wrong way people would have gotten trampled.

People don't know how heavy horses are and the ones on the line were skittish, used at night and faced with a crowd of people that didn't care what happened to them or the horses.

Big fail.

I used to live across the street from an abortion clinic and protests happened there all the time. The police used mounts effectively to keep the pro and anti abortion crowds apart. They were very effective at this, used during the day and trained not to hurt people, but keep them apart so they don't hurt each other.

The riots are a far different scenario.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:05 AM
a reply to: stuthealien

Interesting thought.

Iraq taught us how to shaft high tech oppression systems. Water cannon, acoustic weapons etc. here can be safely predicted to be a cause of massive escalation. I can't see high tech methods getting off the ground. I think they'll go the same way as the XREP. The shotgun tazer. Used once on Raoul Moat. Penetrated clean through his skull and he began his death screams on live TV. Not a glorious moment. Following that the boss of the firm that supplied them took his own life and everyone else walked away looking at the sky and whistling with their hands in their pockets.

Also we're going to be using drones to keep track of the location of any large high tech bits so avoiding them should be easy. Remember this uncontrollable and mostly peaceful protest? The basic idea behind the technique is don't stand there like a stupid mug waiting to get caught.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:57 AM

There are many overshoes available these days. Modern materials have made them hard wearing enough to be economical. This is a typical example.

I expect some police horses have used them. Metal shoes are usually custom fitted to the hoof. Mass produced overshoes have to be very cleverly designed to fit snugly on hooves of different shapes.

There must be pros and cons to using overshoes in public order situations. For example a burning fragment of firework lodged inside an overshoe would be incredibly dangerous to everyone in the vicinity.
edit on 9 11 2015 by Kester because: singular

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:18 AM
a reply to: AlphaPred

My intention is to reduce horse related injuries at British protests. Chili powder won't do that.

My method requires at least three experienced horse handlers to each horse. We steal their horses and parade them for the cameras.

Sending them running, panicked through the crowd is randomly risking innocent lives.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:31 AM
a reply to: AlphaPred

Is that with or without prince charley? Cornwall is a different world to most of the rest of the UK - although I love Dorset, its tranquility and its stance on no motorways. But each country has its beauty spots and places where one can retreat to (if one can afford it).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>