It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lights in the sky above LA

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
So, there was no press release prior to the drill.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
So, there was no press release prior to the drill.

There was a NAVWARN alert issued November 2 for air and sea traffic.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Awesome photo sequence here:
lessthanamateur.wordpress.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

Seeing that live would have scared the stupid out of me! What a unique, visually beautiful, albeit terrifying until you discover it wasn't the end of the world, perspective of the launch.
edit on 11-9-2015 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: FlyingFox

In all likelihood, "the enemy" had been informed that the launch was going to occur.

What if....not? Was NATO informed of the recent Topal M test?

As I was saying, there could be a definite purpose to NOT informing the enemy.

Nothing to do with NATO. The pre-warning of ICBM/SLBM launches goes back to the 1980s and the then signatories between the then Soviet Union and the US. Both sides realised that a test launch could be mis-interpreted as a rogue launch or the start of an attack. The notifications continued through the various nuclear treaties signed between Russian and the US.

www.state.gov...

The Russians would have been pre-warned with a time-frame to expect a launch as per the nav warnings published.

2. For launches of SLBMs from submarines, the notification shall indicate the general area from which the missile will be launched. Such notification shall indicate either the quadrant within the ocean (that is, the ninety-degree sector encompassing approximately one-fourth of the area of the ocean) or the body of water (for example, sea or bay) from which the launch is planned to take place.

3. For all launches of ICBMs or SLBMs, the notification shall indicate the geographic coordinates of the planned impact area or areas of the reentry vehicles. Such an area shall be specified either by indicating the geographic coordinates of the boundary points of the area, or by indicating the geographic coordinates of the center of a circle with a radius specified in kilometers or nautical miles. The size of the impact area shall be determined by the notifying Party at its discretion.

edit on 9/11/2015 by tommyjo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

Plus such Russian activity across their borders gets presaged by NOTAM messages as well.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
Ok, good. So then this picture showing what appears to be a ufo is a fake. No need to upload it.

UFO

Dead center of the light, looks like a ufo to me.

pareidolia is quite interesting. i believe what your seeing from that angle is a shot directly from the rear of the rocket plus some clouds in the foreground in front of the object. the blueish area in the middle would be the central plume that glowed blue. i happened to see the whole event and from northern california, which is a very different perspective, i saw nothing out of the ordinary for a missile test. only thing that was extraordinary was that i was standing in the right place at the right time to get to witness the event.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk... ired-coast-California.html

No wonder California freaked out! New pictures show spectacular launch of nuclear-capable Trident missile over Golden Gate Bridge that sparked UFO scare - and a host of conspiracy theories

check out these pictures

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Second Trident was launched about an hour ago.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
"The U.S. Navy said it launched a second -- and final -- missile in a planned exercise Monday afternoon from a submarine off the Southern California coast."

"The second test launch of the Trident II (D5) missile from a ballistic submarine in the Pacific Ocean took place Monday afternoon, the Navy said. The blast-off took place to far less fanfare than Saturday night’s launch, which provoked residents from San Francisco to Mexico to take to social media, posting photos of an eerie-looking bluish-green plume smeared above the Pacific."

www.latimes.com...

Lower in the article it states that this is routinely done after a ballistic sub has its mid-life refueling as part of a demonstration and shakedown operation.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DaMac

The midlife overhaul for any nuclear powered ship is huge. They keep it pretty quiet on the subs, but on carriers it takes years to complete. It involves giving it a top to bottom overhaul.
edit on 11/9/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The article states the Kentucky went into the shipyard for an overhaul in February 2012 and just completed in April of this year so it sounds like it is quite extensive.
edit on 9-11-2015 by DaMac because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DaMac

Yeah, just about everything gets replaced and upgraded, the reactor fuel rods are replaced, any required repairs are done.

The Lincoln went in for RCOH in 2013 and just got back in the water. She won't be done until some time next year, and hers was shortened. Washington is up next. She won't be done until 2021

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
and to think the fits the US throws when other nations conduct missile tests...
i guess its just news and we're not doing it to threaten other nations or show force; whereas, other nations are immediate threats when testing and this thread would 100% end up in the 'WWIII' forums....

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Springer
Seeing that live would have scared the stupid out of me! What a unique, visually beautiful, albeit terrifying until you discover it wasn't the end of the world, perspective of the launch.

I remember seeing one several years back over Los Angeles to the west. It started as a small bright dot and then grew until it actually looked like an eyeball looking down on the city. It was pretty cool. The world didn't end.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I have heard there has been a second launch.

The second test launch of the Trident II (D5) missile from a ballistic submarine in the Pacific Ocean took place Monday afternoon, the Navy said. The blast-off took place to far less fanfare than Saturday night’s launch, which provoked residents from San Francisco to Mexico to take to social media, posting photos of an eerie-looking bluish-green plume smeared above the Pacific.

Southern California Missile Launch NOT Just a Systems Test
edit on 11/9/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4

They launched a second missile late this afternoon. Too early for the same effect though.
edit on 11/9/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They launched a second missile late this afternoon. Too early for the same effect though.
Sounds to me like they are getting their ducks in order. Vamping up so to speak.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

No, it's post RCOH trials for the Kentucky. She just came out of refueling and refit. They have to launch after coming out to demonstrate the system works.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
hmmmm interesting the LA news report I saw this afternoon covering the story said the military didn't tell anyone like this thread claims because they didn't want them to closely observe, monitor, study the launch. They mentioned a few other logical reasons for keeping it quiet but I can't remember off the top of my head.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join