It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida eighth-grader gets detention for hugging a friend

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

And why is everybody jumping on Annie? She didn't make the rule. I guess she's adjusted to it like everyone else.

Just sayin'.

Just a drive-by.... on my way out.

Happy Saturday, and may the best team win!

Thanks.

It is what it is. It is a fact many school districts are implementing a no touch rule.

I'm not really sure where I'm at on it. But, I'm not going to "knee jerk".

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Thanks.

It is what it is. It is a fact many school districts are implementing a no touch rule.

Judging by what I've read so far, "where you're at on it" seems to be that it's ok and no harm is done.
I could see her being disciplined for some type of inappropriate hug, but that's not what this was.

This is just one more stupid thing Governments and schools are doing to suck the humanity out of life.
Really, an innocent hug warrants punishment now?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

Thanks.

Judging by what I've read so far, "where you're at on it" seems to be that it's ok and no harm is done.

OK.

Show me where I've stated that.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Enochstask

This would be a local thing, unless there is some federal mandate about this rule which I doubt.

But hey feed into the divide right?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Read what you quoted from me and show me where I said you stated it.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink
a reply to: Annee

Read what you quoted from me and show me where I said you stated it.

Then you are interpreting in your own mind what you think I meant.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

This would be a local thing, unless there is some federal mandate about this rule which I doubt.

But hey feed into the divide right?

All schools fall under the department of education unless they are a private school.
But hey feed into the ignorance right?

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Next stupid rule: No looking at other people.

Pretty soon, school will be like a game of no touching: "He/she bumped into me." = expelled. You're out... Until everyone left "in" can have their own personal bubble that can't be encroached...

Then again...

IF I had a daughter, maybe I'd consider enrolling her in one of these schools...

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Yes, that doesn't mean they dictate every single rule for every single school per sey. Schools can have rules rhe department had nothing to do with. Tell me how getting rid of that department would have stopped this? Which would mean you show how the EoD put the rule into place.

Surprised you havent talked about a Kenyan commie yet.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Wow...

You know what? I am pretty certain that last time I checked, the United States of America was NOT bloody Sparta. Regardless of the no doubt well intentioned policy structure of the school district, it can only have one real effect going forward. That is to teach students that acting on their compassion, empathy, sympathy and all of the virtuous psychological traits that those students start their lives with, is wrong.

It is a great way to make Spartans, but an awful way to educate children. Look at the world today, and you will see countless examples of places and situations which are getting worse because of a lack of compassion, worse because of a lack of empathy, worse because not enough people are acting on the most virtuous of their feelings.

No, students should not be dry humping one another all over the place, but there is a rather obvious difference in appearance, between a friendly hug, and an amorous grope, and one cannot honestly say that it is worth banishing an innocent display of friendship and support, in order to ensure the chastity of the student body. If you teach kids to be cold, distant, and repressed, they will not benefit, society will not benefit, and all that will happen is that your district will be full of confused, angry, repressed and awkward young adults, something that young adults do not need HELP to become. There are enough factors driving that, without school boards DEMANDING that those kids become automatons during their school day.

Absolutely appalling nonsense.
edit on 8-11-2015 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical buffoonery of the highest order removed.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: Spider879

My grandson's elementary school has a "hands off, no physical contact" policy.

I think its pretty standard these days.

I'm betting this girl knows her school has this rule.

Elementary school, that's how we are living right now, kids may not point a gun finger, hug your buddy toss your friend to the ground and rough housed ,for fear of...it will lead to something

Yes.

No touching stops bullying too.

Many keep stating how the schools aren't teaching anymore. I'm finding the opposite. The focus is 100% on learning.

More and more w your posts I'm beginning to feel you would be more at home w North Koreas approach to gov, really I can't believe your actually making excuses for this

It is your interpretation that I am making excuses.

There is seriously something wrong with you....the fact that a member has the patience to point it should ring alarm bells....let me assure he is not alone alone in his beliefs ....

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Ma friend America is at once over sexed and yet so sexually repressed that a hug could be seen as a sex act between even preteens, I suspect that this lack of empathy which you spoke of shows up in willing adults in some nations that can strap a bomb onto their persons and detonate it in a mall or public square to find happiness and joy elsewhere in the afterlife.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Who would have believed, that toward the end of the 20th century, Americans enjoyed TV shows like...
Love American Style, The Love Boat, Laugh In, and the Banana Splits...
Enjoyed music like " What the World, needs Now, Is Love sweet Love....Its the only thing, that theres just too little of."
And the youth swam naked together at rock concerts.

At the beginning of the 21st century, children are no longer allowed to show affection or any emotion, cops kill people for J walking, "Ganstas" sing "Kill the Pigs"..(after J walking), everyone is a terrorist, and camera are everywhere to catch all the innocent. I mean guilty people doing something....actually anything and everything wrong.

What a Beautiful World we live in....For you, For you....But not for me.......

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: sparky31

no its the world gone mad. just like Britain with health and safety,workman goes into change a lightbulb,can,t do it himself anymore,needs another two people there to help him,1 to hold the steps/ladder and another to hand him the lightbulb. its just crazy.

That's a very good example, but not for the reason you think.

First things first, it's both true and completely untrue. The HSE, the official "Health and Safety" people, just need the employer to make sure the employee can do the job safely. They ask companies to take certain steps (ie risk assessments for various jobs) but most of what they ask for is actually common sense.

The employer then makes up a set of ridiculous and over-the-top rules and blames it on the HSE. The rules seek to completely remove any thought or discretion. The secondary purpose is protection if an accident does happen - it's more likely than not that the employee would have missed or ignored one of the more ludicrous steps, which means the employee wasn't acting in accordance with company policy - ergo, company not at fault.

This is the same principle that you're seeing in action in this article. Someone introduces zero-tolerance policies to completely strip discretion from teachers. The school now cannot be blamed if something occurs because all touching is banned with no exceptions (presumably outside of sports).

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I agree.

I just think it is wise to understand that whether it comes as a result of ignorance informing secular policy, or whether it comes from religious dogma penetrating every level of a society, the lesson being learned by the kids is the same in the end. Do not have emotions, do not express emotions, do not act on emotions, do not learn to have a healthy emotional connection with your peers.

Many things are possible, when one has nothing invested in the people around one. None of those things are positive, all of them are harmful, and no matter which side of the world you happen to be living on, it is best to avoid teaching the young that emotions are best crushed, or ignored.

The reality is that when someone is in distress and gives every sign of requiring physical, supportive contact with another human being, that support and contact should be given, because its absence is felt as keenly as the disturbance which lead to its being required. Failing to receive support can lead an individual to feel ostracised and disconnected from everyone, and everything around them. That emotional state can lead to a very bad path, psychologically speaking.

Essentially, this policy is harming the student body, over whom it has sway. It is harming those who are having to refuse their fellow students support for fear of permanent record blemishes, and it is harming students who need support from their peers. It is toxic, ill thought out, and arbitrary, and nothing that can be described in those terms should find its way into policy controlling school districts.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I remember a wonderful teacher holding me in her arms all throughout a half hour assembly in primary school when I was upset with the death of a family member...

I needed it, she was there for me...

& I've always looked back on that with fondness...

To me it seems that the people making these no touch policy rules were never hugged themselves as a child and wish to take it out on younger generations...

Much like the bullied kid who turns into a policeman instead of a powerful man...
Or the kid who received no affection turning into a social worker instead of lavishing loved ones with affection they missed out on...

We call them jobs worths in the UK, it's akin to a kill joy but much more derogatory...

The sort of slur you're sling at a traffic warden...

DB I agree wholeheartedly, time for the parents and kids to arrange a protest about this dystopian robotic regiment.
edit on 8-11-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: I've, not ice!

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
Who would have believed, that toward the end of the 20th century, Americans enjoyed TV shows like...
Love American Style, The Love Boat, Laugh In, and the Banana Splits...
Enjoyed music like " What the World, needs Now, Is Love sweet Love....Its the only thing, that theres just too little of."
And the youth swam naked together at rock concerts.

At the beginning of the 21st century, children are no longer allowed to show affection or any emotion, cops kill people for J walking, "Ganstas" sing "Kill the Pigs"..(after J walking), everyone is a terrorist, and camera are everywhere to catch all the innocent. I mean guilty people doing something....actually anything and everything wrong.

What a Beautiful World we live in....For you, For you....But not for me.......

Oh God you're right! I think I'll go jump off the bridge now.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: Spider879

My grandson's elementary school has a "hands off, no physical contact" policy.

I think its pretty standard these days.

I'm betting this girl knows her school has this rule.

Elementary school, that's how we are living right now, kids may not point a gun finger, hug your buddy toss your friend to the ground and rough housed ,for fear of...it will lead to something

Yes.

No touching stops bullying too.

Many keep stating how the schools aren't teaching anymore. I'm finding the opposite. The focus is 100% on learning.

More and more w your posts I'm beginning to feel you would be more at home w North Koreas approach to gov, really I can't believe your actually making excuses for this

It is your interpretation that I am making excuses.

There is seriously something wrong with you....the fact that a member has the patience to point it should ring alarm bells....let me assure he is not alone alone in his beliefs ....

I am not the subject of this thread.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

True Lady, very true.

I don't always agree with Annee but we always need a Devil's Advocate no matter the subject...

We shouldn't expect or want ATS to become a back patting exercise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join