It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida eighth-grader gets detention for hugging a friend

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
My grandson's elementary school has a "hands off, no physical contact" policy.

I think its pretty standard these days.

I'm betting this girl knows her school has this rule.

What a sterile, inhumane way to 'educate' children. I remember in primary school, holding hands with a girl. I'd be locked up and charged with some crime if it were today. disgusting to know it's the way it is, and accepted as such....

link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: Annee

So you've reared a couple. Big deal. If you really think this no touch crap is the way to go for kids country-wide, why not approach a college or media outlet and propose to volunteer your family to be observed for a year or 2 not touching at all?

You act like it's no big deal, and that it has no effect on people whether or not kids can so much as hug. Betcha you'd be gobbling crow and depression meds trying to be the studied poster family for it.

Didn't they do a study or a finding that shows babies died from lack of physical contact .

link   
a reply to: Spider879

haha! Or my fav "how many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb? Only one. But the lightbulb has to want to change. : )

But this whole thing does tend to quell spontaneity in simple human interactions. The common touch, acts of kindnesses, and such. Any child knows when they are being kind and helpful, or bullying and being aggressive, or being sexual.

Learning is to know the difference, and to learn self control. I don't know. Just seems silly and may have some unintended consequences.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Didn't they do a study or a finding that shows babies died from lack of physical contact .

Yes. Failure to thrive.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Yeah.
Well, kids are sort of known for breaking rules.

But a comforting hug? No room for a judgement call?

If you read the article, she had a previous warning with no discipline.

Pretty soon she'll be like, standing in public streets with a sign saying "Free Hugs" and the entire world will collapse in a state of insanity.

She best learn her place in the world. A conformist, sterile slave.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Elementary school, that's how we are living right now, kids may not point a gun finger, hug your buddy toss your friend to the ground and rough housed ,for fear of...it will lead to something

Yes.

No touching stops bullying too.

Many keep stating how the schools aren't teaching anymore. I'm finding the opposite. The focus is 100% on learning.

You mean Programming. Social skills are something children need to learn also. Otherwise, get in line, do not deviate. Do not think, you will be told how to exist.

They're not educating children.. they're programming Shilldren.
edit on 7-11-2015 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

So you've reared a couple. Big deal. If you really think this no touch crap is the way to go for kids country-wide, why not approach a college or media outlet and propose to volunteer your family to be observed for a year or 2 not touching at all?

You act like it's no big deal, and that it has no effect on people whether or not kids can so much as hug. Betcha you'd be gobbling crow and depression meds trying to be the studied poster family for it.

My memory is hazy, but I've read something of the sort in the past. I believe it was an examination of orphanage kids abroad. The finding pointed pretty depressingly at limited contact creating significant behavior problems in older kids, and I do believe death of infants, yes. I think it's probably worth noting that I also believe they said lack of attention all around was an equally big factor in the findings, i.e babies left in cribs all day alone with no contact or interaction.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Elementary school, that's how we are living right now, kids may not point a gun finger, hug your buddy toss your friend to the ground and rough housed ,for fear of...it will lead to something

Yes.

Many keep stating how the schools aren't teaching anymore. I'm finding the opposite. The focus is 100% on learning.

More and more w your posts I'm beginning to feel you would be more at home w North Koreas approach to gov, really I can't believe your actually making excuses for this

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Before school
With whom?

After school
With whom?

School: place of employment.

Do you hug your co-workers?

Yes. I would certainly not fear being sacked if I did. Especially if they were upset. In fact, it used to be common where I worked. Not strangers, but friends, people we cared for, you know.

We also celebrated their birthdays too.. I know right, shocking stuff..

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Yes. Physical contact for a baby is integral to their development. In fact, when a child is neglected or abused, it can cause brain damage - the brain does not develop properly, and can lead to a life of illness.

This isn't just speculation either, they've done brain scans to determine that abused/neglected children have sufficient developmental problems in certain parts of the brain associated with social interaction.

We are social animals. We need that. Without it .. well just look around us now.. :/

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: laminatedsoul

Yeah. But 8th graders aren't exactly babies so I'm not sure it's relevant.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Yes.

More and more w your posts I'm beginning to feel you would be more at home w North Koreas approach to gov, really I can't believe your actually making excuses for this

It is your interpretation that I am making excuses.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: laminatedsoul
In fact, it used to be common where I worked.

It used to be very common where I worked to hug and grope the women.

That was before laws said you can't.

edit on 7-11-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It's always relevant. Human connections are important. The way we as a culture treat affection and love is exceptionally dysfunctional and unhealthy.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Yes. Physical contact for a baby is integral to their development. In fact, when a child is neglected or abused, it can cause brain damage - the brain does not develop properly, and can lead to a life of illness.

This isn't just speculation either, they've done brain scans to determine that abused/neglected children have sufficient developmental problems in certain parts of the brain associated with social interaction.

We are social animals. We need that. Without it .. well just look around us now.. :/

And in the uk (dont know about the US) parents are being educated via hour long tv programs at prime time to "leave babies to cry, do not tend to crying babies"
All part of the dumbing down agenda.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I carried my grandson in a sling next to me except when we were sleeping. I slept on the floor with him next to me.

I carried him in that sling until my knees gave out.

Guess he'll be OK.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Human connections are important.
I agree, as you may note from my previous posts.
However, the study(ies) being mentioned were about infants, not adolescents.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

There is a huge difference between a hug and a grope.

Yes, a hug can be a grope but then we all know the difference and know when it is wrong.

At least those of us brought up with hugs and cuddles know the difference. Experience is a good teacher.

Now though? With all of these stupid child abusive rules.

Every year, a new batch of slaves comes forth ......

Children are damaged by these stupid rules and the teachers should know better, hell, they were taught better in Psych 101. But they are too damn stupid to understand and too chicken to speak out. Their unions should no better but they are power crazed empire builders, no better then the Education departments.

All children are damaged by these stupidities.

All in all, it is government sponsored child abuse.

P

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

And in the uk (dont know about the US) parents are being educated via hour long tv programs at prime time to "leave babies to cry, do not tend to crying babies"
All part of the dumbing down agenda.

Oh my. That was something they tried decades ago...... Those theories have been obsolete for a while now.

I don't agree with this though. School is an arena for learning, and these behaviors are a part of that. They need a place to figure this stuff out, practice and even make mistakes, if you will. I was unaware this is a policy though. Better to know than not, I suppose.

And why is everybody jumping on Annie? She didn't make the rule. I guess she's adjusted to it like everyone else.

Just sayin'.

Just a drive-by.... on my way out.

Happy Saturday, and may the best team win!

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: Phage

It's always relevant. Human connections are important. The way we as a culture treat affection and love is exceptionally dysfunctional and unhealthy.

What I find ironic is that it's not even the "irrational" , "sex fearing" conservatives that have made it this way, it's the politically correct progressive left that have made it like this

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join