It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Baghdad governor assassinated

page: 1

join
share:
JAK

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
As many correctly predicted, the violence in Iraq is escalating in the run up to the election taking place on January 30th. True to this current form it is being reported today that the governor of Baghdad has been assassinated by gunmen.

news.bbc.co.uk
The governor of Baghdad has been assassinated by gunmen in the Iraqi capital, police sources said.

Governor Ali al-Haidri was a target of another assassination attempt in September last year. Details on the attack are still sketchy.

In a separate incident, at least six people have been killed and 40 others injured in a bomb explosion at a police post in Baghdad, officials say.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

For the insurgents this must be classed a prize scalp indeed. It would appear astonishing that even in this time when security should be at it's highest, gunmen were able to get into position and shoot someone in such a prominent position. I suppose that this is just a sign that such attacks are unstoppable. I don't see these attacks ending after the election and I fear that not only the present authorities but also future elected ones will be totally incapable of dealing with this situation, and for many years to come.

Bearing this in mind the question is begged as to when or how the allies will be able to leave Iraq without appearing to be losing face, to be walking away from Iraq and its problems.

Jack

[edit on 4/1/05 by JAK]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I don't know what's more important, lose face, or lose scalp ?

I think that iraq will be a jungle for years to come, but hopefully some equillibrium will be established so that its kinda managable, I see a great role for especially the sji'ite leaders.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The ways thing are in Iraq, I feel that in order to keep the members of their government alive they will have to move them out of the country, because the killings will not stop.

And with the elections, electing a large group is going to be more targets to the insurgents, specially when they are going to be majority of rival tribal of Shiite over Sunni.

So let the civil war begin perphaps the US troops will have some relief when the targeting start with the government officials and not them.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Perhaps stating the obvious, but no one is ever secure.

World leaders and Presidents have been assasinated even in "peaceful" times.

The bombs and shootings will continue for so long as America remains in Iraq.

The only time I can see things slowly coming back to normal life would be after the elections AND would depend on how well the new Iraqi government does to project itself as independent of America and negotiate with the "resistance". Violence begets violence begets violence begets violence...........

top topics

join