Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Laser Eye Surgery

page: 1
0

log in

join

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I was wandering if anybody knew whether laser eye surgery can repair retinal damage done in the first place by a laser..?




posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I dont know if it can repair damage from a laser, but I HIGHLY distrust any of this new RK laser surgery in the first place.

I personally know someone who had RK done... she is now totally blind thanks to it.



posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Was she able to sue, or was she screwd over by a contract?



posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 07:57 AM
link   
A very hidden piece of fine print prevented her from successfully suing, even though it totally destroyed her vision (Shes not just legally blind, she is TOTALLY blind).

Yes, you could say she was screwed.



posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I think that any retinal damage by high power laser(Class III-IV) is probably permanent. I've looked into Class I-II and still have 20/20 vision, but of course always be very carefull with what you are doing with lasers.



posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBad
I was wandering if anybody knew whether laser eye surgery can repair retinal damage done in the first place by a laser..?

Nope.

Laser damage causes scars... something only a transplant would cure. They don't/can't transplant retinas yet.



posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
I dont know if it can repair damage from a laser, but I HIGHLY distrust any of this new RK laser surgery in the first place.

I personally know someone who had RK done... she is now totally blind thanks to it.


That really is terrible. These laser clinics never mention any of the dangers in their advertising. This is why I hate capitalism.

Do these people ever think of the severe consequences for others before they think of the money they'll make?



posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I thought these laser could only correct damage and imperfections in the lens. not the retina.



posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If i rember correctly i thought laser eye surgery was basicly carving the cornea of the eye so light is refracted on the retina, not infront or behind it. But once its carved only way to possible fix is keep on carving, we cant replace it so far



posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mesmerized
If i rember correctly i thought laser eye surgery was basicly carving the cornea of the eye so light is refracted on the retina, not infront or behind it. But once its carved only way to possible fix is keep on carving, we cant replace it so far


that's what it is. Normally a bit of corneal tissue is removed so the shape of the cornea refracts the light properly.

Personally, I'd never have it done. I wear glasses and have horrid eyesight, but I'd never risk the vision I do have. That, and I think I would freak out seeing as you're completely conscious during the procedure. That would be just too weird.





new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join