It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better options for the RAF :-)

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The UK is now finally buying the 2nd batch of the Typhoons excellent little plane. And now 44 Hawk 128's worth about �800million for all of them not a bad deal so that's the trainers sorted.

Source: www.vectorsite.net...

But just thinking what if the MOD/RAF replaced the Jag with the SAAB/BAe Grippen smaller and cheaper than the Typhoon and better than the Hawk.

OF course we would add new engines like the Ej200 and Laser pods but it may be a handly light attack and recce plane.

Ideas?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I like the Grippen. Its kind of like a Gen 4.5 plane. It would be a capable replacement and then some. However, if the JSF comes on line, and the RAF has only so much money, I doubt that they would want to field so expensive a replacement. But its a good thought

The Grippen is not that expensive and you get alot of bang for your buck with it.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Nooooooooooo..don't replace the JAG!!! upgrade it pleaseee!!!

STUPID STUPID!!

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Agreed, I dont want them to replace the Jaguar, but there is practically nothing that I can do about it, but a good replacment I think would be either an F-18 or F-16. Or even some Mig 29's, the MoD have more money than they are letting on, our countrys cash reserves are in the hundreds of billions of pounds mark, I am sure our budget could stretch to buy at least 2 or 3 squadrons of the more highly capable and expensive aircraft like the Migs etc, provided we dont go too mad, we only need about 3 squadrons anyway at present, because the GR4 are excellent bomber aircraft, but as I said and keep saying, the Jaguar is still very useful, it shouldnt be underestimated as an effective bomber, and can easily be in service for more years to come. Thats my opinion though, what does everyone else think??

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   

How could you replace this sexy beast???

Well I suppose the Gripen is the right way to go, granted they are offered for export to forreign countries...

America isn't working on any light attack/trainer aircraft are they? too bad...

[edit on 4/1/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo

How could you replace this sexy beast???

Well I suppose the Gripen is the right way to go, granted they are offered for export to forreign countries...

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo

T-50 built by Lockheed-Martin for South Korean

T-38 is the current Us trainer, it is still very good

[edit on 4-1-2005 by roniii259]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
sorry people, the nations budget reserves are around �65 billion,

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
OH yeah, I totally forgot about the T-38!! I am definitly buying one when I have the money (fat chance in hell)

I faintly remember the T-50...

Nice looking aircraft...

new topics

top topics

join