It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Breast Enlargement Contest Draws Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Clear Channel Communications is under fire for a promotion that gave away breast enlargement surgeries in four cities. The Breast Christmas Ever promotion received 91,000 entries and 13 women won. Groups such as National Research Center for Women & Families and the National Organization for Women which call the procedure dangerous to women�s health.

story.news.yahoo.com
TAMPA, Fla. - Radio giant Clear Channel Communications has come under fire from women's health advocates over a Christmas contest in which stations granted breast enlargement surgeries to women in four cities.

In the "Breast Christmas Ever" contest, 13 women were awarded the procedure after writing essays to the stations explaining why they wanted larger breasts. A Tampa station claimed to receive more than 91,000 entries.

Clear Channel said it had nothing to do with the contest and that it was a decision by local station managers to hold the promotion. The contest was aired on Clear Channel stations in Tampa, Jacksonville, St. Louis and Detroit.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Funny, where is the religious right in all of this? I mean this has been standard Howard Stern fare for decades. I never saw a peep from either organization when he gave them away. According to the article, the giveaway does not violate decency standards. My response to NOW and the like is the same for others that are protesting indecency and the like. If you don�t like the message, change the channel or better yet, turn it off and pick up a book.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
People need to get a life, and stay out of others.

The real crime is Clear Channel stealing Sterns Ideas.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I agree with you 100%, FredT. I've never understood why it causes such an uproar when women express their sexuality openly. It's an American thing, I think. Europe is much more tolerant (appreciative) of this sort of thing than the USA is. I guess it's our religious roots here in America that make us so uptight over sex.

It kills me when feminist groups get all bent out of shape over anything hinting at the open display of female sexuality, accusing men of exploiting the women involved and demeaning them. Maybe that happens sometimes, but I think many women enjoy expressing themselves sexually and erotically, just the same as men do. After all, sex is a natural thing, and it's really fun if you turn on the lights, open your eyes and just relax a little. Try it sometime, Gloria Steinem.

I don't know what all the hoopla is about. I say bring it on. It's certainly healthier for us than graphic violence, which there is an overabundance of. We need to lighten up a little in this country and have more fun ...

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Well, I agree, and have agreed that a lot of this can be solved by the click of a button or the turning of a channel - for those archaic souls who actually get up off the couch to turn the channel, that is.

Furthermore, a new wrinkle in this - in case some one hadn't thought of this:

Official statement released by the "Itty Bitty Titty Committee":

Many don't even know of our organization's existence...mainly because they don't care. They don't care that there is a sea of anguished women living among them who, because of some twisted genetic joke played on them, have never been able to develop mammary glands adequate enough to graduate from a training bra. These silent sufferers, who realize that the true definition of a bad day is when you accidentally put your bra on backwards and it fits better, spend their days privately stuffing, padding and "wonder-ing"....wondering when they'll win the lottery for that boob job and be able to stop saving for Victoria's Secret's latest tool of enhancement.

Our organization has yet to see such a philanthropic gesture toward those we try so desperately to help enlarge their existence from their current living hell. We don't care if the real motivation was to sneak-a-peak at the medical results...that's a lot cheaper price to pay than a boob job!

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
First off I live in the town where this is based, and hear him in the morning on the way home from work. Not my favorite show (he�s a bit too opinionated and often wrong in those opinions from my perspective), but there is not a lot of choice here anymore with the FCC thing, so I scan several. I believe that the MJ Morning Show started this contest MANY years ago, and Stern ripped it off of them, and it would not be the first thing.

To their defense, they also offer breast reductions and other plastic surgeries throughout the year that offer health benefits, such as their �Pick your Plastic� contest. If they are simply providing a financial means for people to do what they would do anyway, then what is the issue? They also provide a means for people that have had old or botched surgeries to have them redone, and those that need plastic reconstructive surgery for legitimate reasons.

All in All these people need to find something else to gripe about.I get a bit tired of these groups whining about any little thing to keep their organization in the forefront of the news papers, and generate publicity for their cause.

Originally from SpittinCobra
The real crime is Clear Channel stealing Sterns Ideas.

If you had any idea what you where talking about you would realize that MJ, Bubba the love sponge ( The guy that got banned who was another syndicated Tampa radio Host), and Howard Stern ALL work for Clear Channel Incorporated, and they all steal stuff from each other regularly, and Stern is not always the first to think these things up, as a matter of fact since he got his show there have been many times I have heard other Clear Channel morning shows down here gripe of Stern stealing their stuff.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

If you had any idea what you where talking about .

Thanks for being rude when you give your opinion.

I gave an opinion, no need to be rude.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Looks more like you where attempting to state a fact. If you want to state an opinion then put that it is your opinion, or check out your facts prior to posting. I know to what extent that these groups are inter-involved from listening to them, and back when he was on also Babba. Most of the shows down here are based out of the same building in Tampa, and there are little inside jokes and fights that you can pick up on by listing to several different shows at the same time.

I have not posted much on this forum, in quite awhile, maybe things here have changed, but back then my post have been taken as correcting someone in a debate. It is not meant as a personal attack against you specifically, but simply that the facts are in error.

[edit on 1/4/2005 by defcon5]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Looks more like you where attempting top state a fact. If you want to state an opinion then put that it is your opinion,

What part of I was stating an opinion dont you understand?

I didnt try to pass anything off as fact.

Im glad your years of hearing them on the radio, has given you the the insite to what goes on behind-the-seens.

Could you provide something that backs up your facts?

[edit on 4-1-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   

The Clear Channel Controversy, One Year On (Why Howard Stern�s Woes Are Your Woes, Too)
Though plenty of journalists have pooh-poohed Stern�s concerns, anyone who�s been paying attention knows how accurate his assessments are. When Clear Channel president John Hogan appeared before members of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, he openly admitted that though Stern had not committed any fresh sins, the company decided to drop him anyway.

Howard Stern worked for Clear channel or how could they drop him?
He does not work for them now! If he is even on anymore I do not know nor do I much care.

Report: Station fires Bubba

Clear Channel Communications and WXTB-FM "severed ties" with Bubba the Love Sponge Clem, reported WFLA-AM, a Clear Channel station that shares offices with WXTB.

Again Bubba worked for clear channel. These two where VERY outspoken anti-Bush People by the way which makes me question what happened even more so. The funniest part is that MJ became the BIGGEST pro-Bush support you ever saw after Bubba, his main competitor and enemy, got the can�

The above article states that the Brest Christams Ever was from a Tampa Clear Channel Show, so here perhaps you�re looking for the fact that the show is the MJ Morning Show?

MJ's Breast Christmas Ever Winners

Edited links for neatness

bolded clear channel for clearity

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Im sorry, I really dont understand what you are tring to tell me. I never said anything about anyone that you are talking about. I never said why clear channel dropped him.

Its Clear you are just looking for an argument.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Did you not ask me to back up what I was saying?
It seems to me that the original issue was over your opinion that, �The real crime is Clear Channel stealing Sterns Ideas�, and I stated that these guys all worked for Clear Channel, correct?

MJ who the article is about, Babba who got fired by the FCC, and Stern who you claimed these guys where stealing stuff from.

You asked for proof to show that this was not MY OPINION, correct?
I gave this, and now am just being argumentative. Go read your facts before posting something as a fact.

Ps: Why they got fired is just a side note, I threw in.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   

. Go read your facts before posting something as a fact.

I never stated anything as fact.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
You know...you two are arguing and you didn't even see my funny up there *

I worked hard on that one! I hate it when you ignore me

LMAO

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
You know...you two are arguing and you didn't even see my funny up there *

I worked hard on that one! I hate it when you ignore me

LMAO

Sorry Val, it was very funny.

Im not even tring to argue. You would think someone works for Clear Channel.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
You know what would be funnier?

If some litigious little weinie...

sued them for sexual discrimination because they wouldn't have a penile enlargement contest...

I'm on a roll this morning.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
You know what would be funnier?

If some litigious little weinie...

sued them for sexual discrimination because they wouldn't have a penile enlargement contest...

You sure are rolling this morning. I think men are to self-consious(sp) to have something like this to be public.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
No I don�t work for clear channel. I just have a VERY long drive home in the morning�

Yes Valhall, that was funny, sorry to ignore you. And both of you and I agree that a contest like this would not work for men. They do, however have a contest where they let you have any surgery done that a lot of men sign up for. You can get liposuction, rhinoplasty (sp), etc�

SpittinCobra I apologize if I came off as too argumentative to you, and fine I understand that you did not mean this as stating a fact.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The really interesting aspect of the story is how many women registered for the opportunity to enlarge their breasts............91,000........

Have we established the value of female attraction in our society to larger breasts through the entertainment media, fashion and our culure?

You would think so..............

If only we could have that same effect on intelligence......no wonder some women feel inadequate.......

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I may only be a man-but I just don't see the problem.

Are these women being Forced to do anything against their will? I think the answer is no.

Are these women being promised money, a job... if they have this procedure? I don't believe so (but I realize the contest gives the procedure as a prize).

These women want to have an "optional" procedure done on themselves, realizing there is some danger involved, so they can look in the mirror and be happier, or the more attention she will get from men or whatever is their motivation is-it is their business.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am all for woman�s rights-including there right to do with their bodies what they want.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Show me one really beautifull women that hates all the attention....

[edit on 4-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

new topics

top topics

join