It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Amazing 360 Views Within the XB-70 Cockpit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
How many of us have oggled the XB-70 and wondered what it would be like to fly in that screaming monster? Well, we can't quite do that. However, there are three different POV 360 VR pictures from the pilot seat, copilot seat and electronic equipment compartment.

The views are awesome but intimidating: that's a lot of sensors to keep track of back in the analog days. geez.

I snagged this from Foxtrot Alpha.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Ah, yes. The predecessor to the B-1B. Can't find my pictures that I took when I went to the museum. That bird was still before its time.

It's still weird to see all analog controls and dials with that sleek air frame.

Would love to have seen it fly back in the day.

edit on 6-11-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Oh very cool! Thats easily one of my favorite aircraft, Alpha Foxtrot has been putting some nice stuff up lately!

I would be first in line to volunteer to sit in that cockpit with a little dusting brush detailing everything. I remember building a model of the XB-70 for the science fair back in the 8th grade and got into a big argument with a teacher about the fastest aircraft in the world, he said it was obviously the SR-71 but the XB-70 was slightly faster. I still have that old model up in the attic somewhere. Hoping one day we can get a look at some of the airframe(s) that trickled down out of the XB-70 program, there is one that would just be awesome to see flying out of Groom but its been several years since that one was seen.
edit on 6-11-2015 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
did ya see the pilots have egress but the passengers do not....ok....
that's one low ceiling in the seats....and shoulder to shoulder......

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear
and got into a big argument with a teacher about the fastest aircraft in the world, he said it was obviously the SR-71 but the XB-70 was slightly faster.

The XB-70A #2 (62-207) was the fastest bomber ever built. It reached a top speed of Mach 3.08. The SR-71 could go Mach 3.5-4.0 (or more).

That makes the SR-71 by far the fastest aircraft ever built.

originally posted by: StratosFear
Hoping one day we can get a look at some of the airframe(s) that trickled down out of the XB-70 program

You can. The B-1A and B bombers were direct descendants of the XB-70, among other aircraft that came about due to the project.

edit on 6-11-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Are you sure about them being direct descendants? Perhaps Zaphod can clarify but I thought they were always two seperate albeit similiar programs. XB-70 was high altitude, High mach, B1 is Low altitude, High Mach.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bfirez
Are you sure about them being direct descendants?

Zaph isn't the only knowledgeable person regarding military aircraft (he just knows more!). Many of us do know our stuff:

The data from the XB-70 test flights and aerospace materials development were used in the later B-1 bomber program, the American supersonic transport (SST) program, and via espionage, the Soviet Union's Tupolev Tu-144 SST program.
Source

edit on 7-11-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

The advertised top speed of the SR-71 is 3.5 mach with a cruising speed closer to 3.2. Above that the engines go into an unstart condition and the canopy starts to melt, but yes the SR-71 is the fastest publicly acknowledged air breathing aircraft ever built.

Link

edit on 7-11-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Theres also the White Bird taken at Dreamland on the Tarmac in 95.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

My apologies for doubting you. Do you think the xb70 went black, or was it really canceled?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Whoops you are correct on that, was thinking of A-12 vs SR-71. 8th grade was a bit over 20 years ago so memory is a bit hazy.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

The B-1 as originally designed was a high altitude, high speed bomber. After the advances in Soviet missile technology, and interceptors the mission was changed to low altitude, high speed to try to sneak in.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

My apologies for doubting you. Do you think the xb70 went black, or was it really canceled?

I think it morphed into something else

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Ala SR75, XR-7?

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Super Buzzard maybe....

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Wonder if it will ever see the light of day

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If it was a follow on from the xb70 its still a fairly old airframe and if it was continuously in use operationally up until today fatigue would be a factor.If it was a tech demonstrator for ultra high altitude and high speed I could see it being still used for future use.

top topics

join