It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

nervous about getting teeth pulled...pain?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:43 PM
so on the 17th i am getting 5 teeth pulled. starting to get jacked up about how much pain i am going to be in.
i have been having a lot of pain in general and more so when i eat certain things. went to the dentist and obviously i have some cavities.
im 37 and still have my wisdom teeth and all 4 have a cavity and one tooth on the top left in front of them.
the dentist said he can give me fillings but im not into stretching this out. told him just to yank em out.
he said they dont put you all the way under. a local only so i imagine there is going to be some pain involved.
with any luck i can walk out with some percocet or something.

but yeah. i watched a few vids on youtube and damn. i thought they grabbed em with some channel locks or something and yanked em out. apparently not. they dug all around the all around the gum line to break it loosed then popped it out from the bottom.
leaves a nasty hole too.

do you think they will put a stitch in? if not do the holes close up or do they only heal down where the tooth was set in leaving you with a hole?

i also have a partial cap on my front tooth. it has a ridge on it so i am getting that taken care of too but at a different appointment.
going to get a silver cap put on....

the lady acted all weird about that.
i told her i wanted another cap and she quoted me on a porcelain cap and i told her no. i want silver.
she kind of scoffed and said with the tone
"well can i ask why"
i said "cause its awesome" and her tude only got worse.

the silver cap is 595 bucks and it takes 3 separate visits. not too worried about pain with that. already had a root canal on that tooth and they put a post in the middle.

back to the topic.
to those that have had teeth bad is it pain wise?

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:46 PM
a reply to: TinySickTears

Well if you have been in pain...
the relief you will feel from that giant empty hole will feel wonderful!

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:51 PM
Having a tooth pulled is a piece of cake. You'll be so numbed up for hours and hours later. You might have to change the gauze in the hole as it gets saturated with blood which is kinda gross, but that's it. It will heal and you shouldn't be in pain.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:54 PM
Don't worry, they give you all kinds of goody pain killers.
Just don't smoke or use a straw, dry sockets!

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:55 PM

originally posted by: Night Star
Having a tooth pulled is a piece of cake. You'll be so numbed up for hours and hours later. You might have to change the gauze in the hole as it gets saturated with blood which is kinda gross, but that's it. It will heal and you shouldn't be in pain.

just looking at the vid i figured it was going to be super painful.
it does not look like a delicate process.

it will be a relief to be able to chew with no pain. even a couple of days of pain for healing is worth it

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:56 PM

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Don't worry, they give you all kinds of goody pain killers.
Just don't smoke or use a straw, dry sockets!

woot woot.
i was hoping it would go that way.

no straw? i figured for the first few days a straw would be a must

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:56 PM

to those that have had teeth pulled…how bad is it pain wise?

They'll numb you up. You'll feel pressure when they pull it, them (five at once?). Pain comes later when the numb wears off.

Buuut, the Noorco or whatever they give you will more than make up for it. Go buy lots of yogurt, bananas and cottage cheese, you won't be chewing anything for a while.

(five at once?)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:59 PM
I've only had one tooth pulled under a local but I felt no pain at all during the process. Now, when the numbness wore off, there was pain but the meds controlled it.
My wisdom teeth were surgically extracted, I was all the way under and yes, there were stitches but that was because mine were so impacted that they hadn't fully erupted. The surgeon wanted to do all three at once (I had only three wisdom teeth, go figure?) but I opted for separate procedures, leaving me one side undamaged so I could chew at least some food while recovering. There was more soreness to the jaw from that procedure than active pain.
Good luck.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:59 PM
You won't feel anything when you have the local. I've had a lot of trouble with wisdom teeth and teeth in general this past few years. They won't put a stitch in hole but will give you a sheet explaining how to keep the hole clean. They will tell you no warm drinks for first 24 hours, no smoking (this is the worst thing), no mouthwash with salt for first 24 hours as it can dislodge the clot which needs to be there to help the hole to heal. However, I'm not very good at listening to instructions so I had a warm drink before the 24 hours and a cigarette. I paid for it because I got something called dry socket which was terrible.

Dry socket is apparently more problematic with bottom teeth and molars, wisdom teeth.

I would advise to definitely listen to advice given, I wish I had and definitely would if I need further teeth out. If you should get a dry socket be sure to ask the dentist to pack it and dress the hole. It really helps with the pain and I wasn't told about it when I first had dry socket.a reply to: TinySickTears

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:22 PM
a reply to: intrptr

yeah 5 at once.
i told him i wanted all 5 done at the same time and he didnt make an issue of it so i guess it can be done.
i dont like people being that close to me so i need to have as few visits as possible.
i already have to go 3 different times for the silver cap. i didnt want to stretch this out. i also didnt want to deal with the pain/healing crap on separate occasions.
just get it done you know.

also i dont like to miss work so i can only schedule my appointments for 4pm and later and of course by that time they are behind so there is always a ton of lemmings in the waiting room that i would rather not deal with.
i have vacation time but im not going to waste it on a dentist visit.
if they give me a note for no work the next day i am just going to feel it out. if i think i can handle it i will go in and if not i will present the note.
if i dont sleep much and have a ton of pain i will call in and give them the note.
just have to see

i must say by the vids alone it looks like some painful # but its cool that the local works.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:42 PM

Oh man your not going to like it. Had a molar extraction about 2 months ago,all they gave me was just the syringe and 5 10mg of Norco. Do your research and go to the best dentist you can

This experience was not okay with me at all. It was the jerking motion that bothered me

Guess I'm a sissy lol

edit on 6-11-2015 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:53 PM
Ummm, I've had a neck surgery, a C-section and my wisdom teeth out. I was under full anesthetic for the neck and wisdom and local for the C. If I had to choose? I'd do either the neck or the C again, neck ideally.

The very worst thing was having those wisdom teeth out and only one was impacted.

The procedure itself was fine, but the aftermath! OMG. Between the continuous bleeding that made me sick to my stomach with a jaw so bruised it didn't want to open to let me vomit and the horrible dry socket ... ugh! never again.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:08 PM

If your dentist is worth a damn, you'll feel nothing. You shouldn't need anything stronger than motrin and/or tylenol to kill the pain. Maybe some ice on your jaw to help with swelling. And no sucking for 24 hours (so put your vape gear away, and no straws on your drinks).

Yeah, its not fun. But it shouldn't be miserable unless your dentist sucks.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:25 PM
Actually it's not that bad the only thing that was unsettling was hearing the dr. crack the tooth first so it would slide out easier but you won't need anything stronger then some ibuprofen that will reduce the swelling which causes the majority of mouth pain.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:45 PM

About 5 years ago, I had 9 teeth pulled...yes, 9.

It was at a private hospital because I insisted I wanted GA, which you can't get at a dentist's.

The reason I insisted on GA was due to an unpleasant experience I had a few years earlier, when I endured pain and terror having some dental work carried out under what is known as a 'twilight anaesthetic'. The one where you're not quite unconscious, just doped up.

It was terrible; I was fully aware what was happening, just less able to resist (though I managed to clock the dentist a good 'un and put him on the floor).

I was treated like a slab of meat because they didn't think I was aware - but I was indeed aware and, what's worse, they didn't use enough pain block.

So that's why I had GA the last time, and that was fine.

Unconscious throughout and no after pain because I was on a Buprenorphine drip. I was floating all day.

Yes, they stitch up the gums.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:49 PM
I had one of my back teeth pulled a couple of months ago. Worst part was the pressure when he was working the tooth out. No pain at all. I didn't need any prescription pain killer afterward. Just used Ibuprofen and it was fine. It was such a relief getting it out, as I had been in a lot of pain for several days with an infection in that tooth.

Just follow the instructions they give you and you won't get the dreaded dry socket. No big.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:35 PM

i told him i wanted all 5 done at the same time and he didn't make an issue of it so i guess it can be done.

You miiiight want to rethink that, Although it isn't painful during extraction there is significant pain later, especially if you accidentally bite down chewing food. You won't be going to work the next or even a couple, three days.

Just my advice, but split it into two visits for extractions, doing all the teeth on one side and then next time, the other. That way while healing you can chew on the other side.

I don't know which teeth are being pulled either. It makes a difference as to how hard it might be, age and individual tolerance, plus the skill of the dentist. Some teeth are a bear, if infected they could break up. Then theres more cutting away the gum to reach the root and then theres stitches which mean return visits, takes longer, etc.

Molars are more involved than incisors, some teeth pop out right away. You can see how its going for you, during the operation. Maybe five is too much 'all at once'. You know best what you can handle.

Lot of injecting for all that. Have them use the swab initially to numb the initial injection sites.

Once done the first night is the hardest to endure. Blood clots within an hour or two, the pain begins after the local wears off. You'll have a headache. Lying down, your head will pound.

They should provide you with 10 mg. tabs of Hydrocordone, usually with acetaminophen, 500 mg. Every four to six hours for the first couple days, then tapering off. You will have swelling and a headache, getting punched in the mouth five times hard enough to knock out teeth isn't fun.

Ask for enough pills to last five days. Thats 20 to 25 pills. Plus an antibiotic. You'll be given instructions to do salt water rinses, they're great.

Been through this a lot. It sucks, but look at it this way, those teeth will never bother you again.

It takes about thirty days for these to heal up completely. The gum line will cover over and become hard, there won't be deep holes where teeth were, they fill up.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:29 PM

To give you and idea of if it will be painful or not, I got all my top teeth and 6 bottom teeth pulled in one sitting.

If it wasn't for the freezing they did beforehand, which was a lot, I'm sure I would have been out the door as I hate going to the dentist.

I got all those removed and only felt slight pain after about 2-3 hours, I'm sure you'll be ok.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:51 AM

originally posted by: TinySickTears
to those that have had teeth bad is it pain wise?

Ok, let me tell you something. I'm afraid of the dentist. I can't stand getting fillings. My eyes water just getting the needle to numb my mouth. Now with that being said, I've had surgery in my mouth while I was awake. I was born without the two teeth next to the very front ones on the top of my mouth, so when I was a teenager, my parents decided I was getting professional implants whether I liked it or not. I had to have 2 holes drilled into the bone in my mouth for the implant screws to go into (there were no empty spaces, they had to literally drill the bone out), and I actually felt part of the drilling because the numbing stuff didn't work 100%. Imagine laying there listening to someone drill holes in your face and actually feeling it too. So if I could survive that, you'll do just fine with getting some teeth yanked.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:56 AM
There isn't much that can be said to comfort you, but it looks like everything's been covered anyway. No matter what it feels like, during and post-op, just remember it'll heal quickly as long as you take care of it and don't underestimate it. Dry socket is about as bad as any tooth ache or infection you've experienced. I've had it twice because I was a cocky teen that didn't take anyone's advice, and I didn't quit smoking. I've heard of some people getting dry socket, even though they never smoked before or used a straw. So I guess keeping the hole packed with clean gauze is most important.

Also, an anti-inflammatory will help more than anything else for the pain, because most of the pain will come from the swelling. At least, in my experience, reducing the swelling helped the most. Be brave and take the advice, and after you've healed, you'll realize how tough you can be.

top topics

<<   2 >>