It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dashcam video of man holding hands up helps convict officers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
We've all heard it before in other cases. "They reached for my gun." And usually that's enough to put anyone away. And it almost was in this case too.

Courter, of Englishtown, and Trinidad, of Bloomfield, initially said motorist Marcus Jeter tried to grab Courter's gun and struck Trinidad during a traffic stop on the Garden State Parkway in 2012. Jeter was charged with resisting arrest, aggravated assault and other offenses based on video from one of the officers' dashboard cameras.

So what happened that makes this case different?

But Jeter acquired a second police dashcam video through an open records request. Combined, the videos showed him with his hands in the air for virtually the entire encounter.

That's right, based on video from one dashcam Marcus Jeter was charged and indicted and he faced up to 5 years in prison. And only after his request for a second video did the truth come pouring out. So what did happen?

Prosecutors dropped charges against Jeter and charged Trinidad, Courter and a third officer.

That's great news but how likely is it that this actually leads to a conviction?

Bloomfield Officers Sean Courter and Orlando Trinidad were found guilty by an Essex County jury of conspiracy, official misconduct, tampering with and falsifying public records and lying to authorities. Courter, 35, and Trinidad, 34, face mandatory minimum prison sentences of five years when they're sentenced in January.

This case stresses the importance of having video of every police encounter. The word of a police officer carries so much weight that without any contrary video evidence it's almost always taken as gospel. "They reached for my gun." "I feared for my life." "They struck me." "They were reaching for something in their pocket." And sometimes even with video evidence to the contrary the weight of those words are everlasting.

Courter's attorney Charles Clark told The Star-Ledger that he disagreed with the verdict and was "100 percent convinced" the officers were innocent.

You've got to love an attorney that never gives up.

SOURCE

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Good find!

Here's an interview with him, with the dashcam video. If it was in the OP source I didn't see it (mobile).

m.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

The video was not a part of my source and I totally forgot to even look it. So thank you for adding it to the thread.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
From Source:

But Jeter acquired a second police dashcam video through an open records request...

So, the Prosecutors never saw this video until it was made available to the defense - two years later..?!

Bullsh!t...I think the Prosecution Team needs a 5 year sentence as well.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow
From Source:

But Jeter acquired a second police dashcam video through an open records request...

So, the Prosecutors never saw this video until it was made available to the defense - two years later..?!

Bullsh!t...I think the Prosecution Team needs a 5 year sentence as well.

Guess the Brady rule doesn't apply in Jersey.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Still baffles me why anyone (police included) would continue to lie knowing they're on camera. Do they think their commanders will just delete the tapes?

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I think everyone who is defending cops for their bad behavior by saying "Not all cops are bad" should take a look at this video. While it is true that 100% of cops would not act the way these guys did, the problems arise when the good ones do nothing to stop the bad ones. In this case, it was obviously a gang mentality in that all of the cops participated in abusing this man despite the fact that his hands were in full view and beat him even after he was in cuffs. It makes no difference whatsoever that the department might have a some good cops---these are the poster guys who have brought shame to the badge. They proved that the man was indeed correct in being afraid of being shot by cops.

Just one question: When did cops gain the right to run into a suspect's parked vehicle? Seems to me that the dude that rolled up and hit the vehicle could be charged with endangering the life of the cops as well as the suspect? Out of control indeed!

Drug test them. See what is making them so terrified that they beat up people who are obviously passive.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_
Still baffles me why anyone (police included) would continue to lie knowing they're on camera. Do they think their commanders will just delete the tapes?

nonono
their commanders never delete anything that would be criminal
they merely forget to turn it on when their shift begins
an easy mistake when youre over worked and your mind is focused on other things

edit on 6-11-2015 by fartlordsupreme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
There seems to be this new thing of beating the hell out of a suspect?? cuffed or not while screaming stop resisting arrest as loud as possible.
Body cam for all you all!!.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

As Sham said, good find.
Great find.
No cop apologists yet?
AJug should love this thread.
To add...
I'm a middle (to late middle if we're mincing) aged white guy, in NM mainly, but I've had a few (Okay, several...) encounters with Peace Officers. 90%+, just fine, but I always mind my manners, P's & Q's. etc., but in two,no make that three states (AL, NM, & TX) I've experienced an "Officer" draw his weapon IMMEDIATELY after opening his door & point it straight at my head.
Also, to be fair, once in my life I've "Drawn Down" on a group in my yard (long time ago, roomate"s family issues/long story), and I never "Raised" my weapon, even after dodging a full beer bottle that broke the living room window(does this help, for some reason the w word won't work here) that we had to pay to replace.
But seriously, i did "FEAR" in those moments with that >10%.
I've also been complimented on my P89D in the passenger seat (must display State if pulled over, mag out & racked open) in NM & just given a warning by a Statie doing 90.
(Now I'm older & own a big truck, no a gofast car.)

edit on 11/6/2015 by ISeeTheFnords because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I've noticed that too.
Kinda like the "If you can talk, you can breathe!" NLBS in another current thread...
Link-
www.abovetopsecret.com...

join