It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Tribesmen Shoot Arrows at Relief Chopper

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
A group of tribesman were seen firing arrows at relief helicopter dropping food and water on the remote Nicobar and Adaman Islands near India. Apparently firing of arrows is a "traditional warning" that someone is not welcome. This is a very good story because these people had previously been feared to be wiped out by the tsunami.

news.bbc.co.uk
An Indian helicopter dropping food and water over the remote Andaman and Nicobar Islands has been attacked by tribesmen using bows and arrows.

There were fears that the endangered tribal groups had been wiped out when massive waves struck their islands.

But the authorities say the attack is a sign that they have survived.

More than 6,000 people there are confirmed as either dead or missing, but thousands of others are still unaccounted for.

The Indian coastguard helicopter was flying low over Sentinel Island to drop aid when it came under attack.

Dozens of tribesmen fired bows and arrows at the helicopter, a traditional warning that outsiders aren't welcome.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

They didn't need a high tech warning system to know that trouble was coming and probably took off to high ground as soon as the water receded. This will come as a relief to many that feared we've lost one of the few untouched treasures on the planet.

They've been self sufficient all this time by choice, it's unlikely they'll want any help now. Also giving them supplies might make them dependant on them - an unwanted consequence.

Related News Links:
www.ipsnews.net

[edit on (1/4/0505 by PistolPete]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Great story

It made me believe that those tribesman are still connected to mother nature

If they were able to survive such terrible event, I think they will find their own way to help themselves...

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I heard that there was a tribe on those islands that has never allowed foreigners on their island, and i was concerned about their welbeing... thanks for the relief article... i can now rest knowing that these dudes are safe...

Great article!

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   
The story is nice but I think it's quite missplaced in the news forum as it's more than 4 days old and ATSNN claims to be one of the fastest and best news sources on the net.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mahsa
The story is nice but I think it's quite missplaced in the news forum as it's more than 4 days old and ATSNN claims to be one of the fastest and best news sources on the net.

mahsa, ATSNN is one of the fastest and credible news sources.

This article is certainly news worthy as it has confirmed that more people survived this disaster.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
Apparently firing of arrows is a "traditional warning" that someone is not welcome.

Just think of the message that would be sent with a welcome arrow.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
These people are best left alone, lets not poison them with our way of life and all them troubles that come with it.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The Sentinelese of the Sentinel Islands in particular are very agressive torwards visitors. They're supposedly a tribe on the technological level of the paleolithic. They too apparently threw stones at the relief helicopters.

It isn't a connection to mother nature that saved them, its simple human knowledge nad intelligence. They probably had stories about what it means when the water recedes like that and took to the highlands. Also, they probably also have some number of their peoples living on the highlands anyway, no one knows how many of them have been killed. Some of these adaman island tribes are down to thirty people or so.

If people in the rest of the world had known what was going on, or if they had had a simple tsunami monitoring system in the Indian Ocean, they there'd've been a lot less deaths because of the Tsunami. Talking about 'getting back to nature' and 'traditional ways' is going to result in people getting killed. Argueably its resulted in some portion of the death toll in this tsunami, due to funds being wasted on such researches.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
mahsa, ATSNN is one of the fastest and credible news sources.

This article is certainly news worthy as it has confirmed that more people survived this disaster.

Newsworthy for sure I just think that old news don't look good, as you named it, on "one of the fastest" news source.
My basic thought on this is that it's quite easy to see that the broad range of ATSNN reports don't guarantee fast and good coverage at all. However, that's no criticism as I don't know any news source that's perfect at all. Just an observation. So far I consider ATSNN one of the best news collecting source on the net.

By the way, I always like stuff like Nerdling and some other reports do - replying to a thread that's currently evolving, mentioning important changes to the news. But isn't it possible the reporters edit threads instead of creating a list of like 30 update replies? Renders such news hard to read and if they edit it will look more professional.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan Talking about 'getting back to nature' and 'traditional ways' is going to result in people getting killed. Argueably its resulted in some portion of the death toll in this tsunami, due to funds being wasted on such researches.

I'm only putting another view on this ... but take a look at this article:

Did animals have quake warning?
news.bbc.co.uk...

My view is living closer to nature, brings greater understanding of how things 'are' (maybe not 'why' - but if you know what you need to know, then the 'why' isn't really an issue). If your tech is 'Palaeolithic' then you'll need to be pretty much on top of the natural world to survive. Good luck to them I say, long may they continue:

andamandt.nic.in...

Undeniably, tsunami buoys would have raised awareness and saved lives, but maybe technology is something that we (as a species) should rely less on, and spend more time rebuilding our connection with the natural systems ?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Newsworthy for sure I just think that old news don't look good, as you named it, on "one of the fastest" news source.

By the way, I always like stuff like Nerdling and some other reports do - replying to a thread that's currently evolving, mentioning important changes to the news. But isn't it possible the reporters edit threads instead of creating a list of like 30 update replies? Renders such news hard to read and if they edit it will look more professional.

The BBC article is dated January 4th. Before the Zarqawi arrest Drudge had this as his top story - several hours after it was first reported here.

For the last bit we haven't been able to edit a post after two hours rendering it impossible to update the stories original post....any other suggestions or criticism would be very welcome in the Board Questions and Business Forum!

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

They've been self sufficient all this time by choice, it's unlikely they'll want any help now. Also giving them supplies might make them dependant on them - an unwanted consequence.

True they have been self sufficeint at these times, but this isn't another regular old times, this is the time of tragedy.

Say aliens come to earth to drop off supplies because of this disaster, we would probably shoot at them because we don't know if they are coming to help or destroy us and assuming the worst we try to attack before they do. Same thing with the tribesmen, they don't know either.

I am pretty sure they will appreciate the help, once they recognize that it is help.

Surf

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0951
My view is living closer to nature, brings greater understanding of how things 'are' (maybe not 'why' - but if you know what you need to know, then the 'why' isn't really an issue). If your tech is 'Palaeolithic' then you'll need to be pretty much on top of the natural world to survive. Good luck to them I say, long may they continue:

We would have known that there was lot of animals moved away from shores, if the tsunami broke off at the last minute, we know they did because we find a lot of human bodies and no animals.

Besides there aren't a whole lot of animals living right beside the shores, most of it have been colonized by man.

Surf

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
These people are best left alone, lets not poison them with our way of life and all them troubles that come with it.
They wont allow it. Those people dont want the likes of us or any civilized people near them. Wanna see a bunch of shrunken heads lined along the beaches?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0951

Undeniably, tsunami buoys would have raised awareness and saved lives, but maybe technology is something that we (as a species) should rely less on, and spend more time rebuilding our connection with the natural systems ?

I don't know about that. A wise man once said

Undeniably, tsunami buoys would have raised awareness and saved lives

So i think that that is sufficience justification. Afterall, its modern tech that will save these sentinelese if they are in a famine situation. And notice, some of those tribes that are close to nature number in the tens. Not hundreds, but tens. They are, literally, doomed, eventually something is going to happen that they can't deal with. A tsunami sucks all the water away, so you can see that before it hits and run like mad. Their 'knowledge' probably consisted of just that. But their knowledge can't repair hearts that go into shock because of the terror, or give premies who are born out of shock induced labour any real chance to live, or even deal with the plagues that are going to rise up in that part of the world because of the death toll, and probably float to their islands.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
somehow I wish we could learn back all those abilities...

"They can smell the wind. They can gauge the depth of the sea with the sound of their oars. They have a sixth sense which we don't possess," said Ashish Roy, a local environmentalist and lawyer who has called on the courts to protect the tribes by preventing their contact with the outside world.

complete story

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
A tsunami sucks all the water away, so you can see that before it hits and run like mad.

Then why did so many people die, to be exact 150,000? They just sat there waiting for tsunami to hit thinking it was God's will?

The reason is because they come to fast that you won't even see them unless you are far away from it. At a far distance they seem like normal waves, as they get closer the waves jump up and land on you.

Surf

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Um interesting, sure, but I do not see this as good. In a way, some posts on here make it seem as though giving relief is a horrible thing - though I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

Anyways, it's great that they are still connected to 'mother nature', but the offering of relief isn't bad at all - if they need it, they'll utilize it.

-wD

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

Originally posted by Nygdan
A tsunami sucks all the water away, so you can see that before it hits and run like mad.

Then why did so many people die, to be exact 150,000? They just sat there waiting for tsunami to hit thinking it was God's will?

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that this doesn't occur in the lead up to a tsunami strike?

When the sea gets pulled away, people are amazed and often will run into what was formerly the bottom of the coast. Not very far in, but certainly the wrong direction. Hell, when a tsunami warning is issued, they are allways some jokers who run out there with surf boards, eh surfup?

The reason is because they come to fast that you won't even see them unless you are far away from it.
Yes, once you see the wave its probably already too late. Earlier on the news they were talking about one guy who had read about these things when he was younger, and when he saw 'the signs of the approaching tsunami' he ran in the right direction and alerted everyone else, and apparently a number of people were saved.

Anyways, it's great that they are still connected to 'mother nature', but the offering of relief isn't bad at all - if they need it, they'll utilize it.webdevil
Anyways, it's great that they are still connected to 'mother nature', but the offering of relief isn't bad at all - if they need it, they'll utilize it.

Indeed, they are a stone age society, but they've come into contact with worked metals and make use of them like they would anything else. They don't like invaders, and I can't imagine what they think is going on when a wave bigger than anything anyone of them has ever see crashes into their island and then days later a giant flying metal bug is dropping junk onto them.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I wouldn't say fastest news source by any means. Most of the news is pulled from other sites and placed here from what I've seen. I admit it's nice to come to one location and find all the news.

Good story nevertheless. These people have survived w/o the outside world since their beginning. They have the no how of nature and knew something was going wrong with their surroundings.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by I See You]

[edit on 4-1-2005 by I See You]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join