It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Team Carson: ‘Politico Story Is An Outright LIE’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Damn. I KNEW the Politico story was a political 'Hit Job'.
These racist slugs are desperate to trash black conservatives.

When the hell did race become part of these issues with Carson?

Too many people, on both the Left and Right are too quick to pull race in to the debate. Why can't we discuss the topic without the sort of garbage you posted?

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Maybe Kyle Cheny can intern at NBC with Brian Williams.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

YES HE DID!

He said in his book that he was later offered a full scholarship.

“introduced me to General Westmoreland, and I had dinner with him and the Congressional Medal winners. Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point.

So was that a lie or no?

Story from Politico is a Lie:

"Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship"

On Friday, Ben Carson’s campaign admitted that a central point in his inspirational personal story was fabricated: his application and acceptance into the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

Ben Carson has done no such thing. Ben Carson never said he applied at West Point.

Entire headline and premise of story is bogus.

If they wanted to be truthful they would have simply stated that Ben Carson turned down the opportunity to go to West Point (for free) as there was no way he would not get in.
edit on 6-11-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Glinda
a reply to: Sremmos80

Politico, I have done some quick reading in the last one half hour since this broke, has a HISTORY of hitting conservative Black men. Amazingly, Politico "broke" the "girlfriend" stories of Herman Cain in 2012.

Can't have those successful Black men stray from the Liberal plantation.

Actually, I'm absolutely ecstatic that neither Herman Cain or Ben Carson are liberals.

They have the perfect mindset and intellect to be American conservatives.

lol....I guess I'm the only one that finds that funny

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glinda

Maybe Kyle Cheny can intern at NBC with Brian Williams.

Or assistant to Dan Rather.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Your really don't think, that NO ONE, recruiting for the US military, said to the top ROTC student in the city of Detroit in 1969, as he was deciding his college options, never said "apply to West Point...with your grades, back ground story and push for Affirmative Action, I KNOW you will get accepted?"

This Politico story is a fabrication.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
From ABC News.com, quoting Dr. Carson's book "Gifted Hands"

Afterward, Sgt. Hunt introduced me to General Westmoreland, and I had dinner with him and the Congressional Medal winners. Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point. I didn’t refuse the scholarship outright, but I let them know that a military career wasn’t where I saw myself going. As overjoyed as I felt to be offered such a scholarship, I wasn’t really tempted. The scholarship would have obligated me to spend four years in military service after finishing college, precluding my chances to go on to medical school. I knew my direction – I wanted to be a doctor, and nothing would divert me or stand in the way. Of course the offer of a full scholarship flattered me. I was developing confidence in my abilities – just like my mother had been telling me for at least he past ten years.”

I guess Dr. Carson just misspoke himself, in an edited published work, five times in a row.

Well, that can happen to anybody I guess ...

edit on 14Fri, 06 Nov 2015 14:33:16 -060015p0220151166 by Gryphon66 because: Provided link

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
All right, good thing I checked out this thread. It looks like this news story is a bit biased. I can definitely see that with the way the news media is these days. Although it looks like he does mention a scholarship to West Point in his own book...
edit on 06pmFri, 06 Nov 2015 14:31:32 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I've heard on talk radio today, two people phoning in, who said they were approached and encouraged in similar ways to apply to West Point by WP officials in the 70's and early 80's. One was pulled aside during basic training because his scores were so high. This method was being used to recruit candidates during a time when the military was suffering a downturn of popularity and lack of top notch candidates applying.

To have a high-ranking WP commander personally tell you they want you to apply and saying they would put in a good word for you, would give a candidate almost a guaranteed chance of being accepted, if they qualified.
edit on 6-11-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I've heard on talk radio today, two people phoning in, who said they were approached and encouraged in similar ways to apply to West Point by WP officials in the 70's and early 80's. One was pulled aside during basic training because his scores were so high. This method was being used to recruit officers during a time when the military was suffering a downturn of popularity and lack of top notch candidates applying.

To have a high-ranking WP commander personally tell you they want you to apply and saying they would put in a good word for you, would give a candidate almost a guaranteed chance of being accepted, if they qualified.

Were they offered a scholarship to West Point too? Because Dr. Carson misspoke himself five times in a row in his book.

Or, is it possible that Dr. Carson doesn't understand what a scholarship actually is?

Either way ... I'm not sure that inspires a lot of confidence.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Glinda

I don't think it's a fabrication, but I would say that this seems to boil down to the context in which Carson said he was "offered a scholarship".

Seems that we are focusing on the statements he made without it's proper context. And perhaps we are blowing this out of proportion.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

While it was a ghostwriter who wrote the book...technically, acceptance is a scholarship, as all classes, room and board are payed by WP, if the candidate agrees to serve for 10 years as an officer in the military, upon successful graduation.

That a ghostwriter used the term scholarship, doesn't surprise me.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

While it was a ghostwriter who wrote the book...technically, acceptance is a scholarship, as all classes, room and board are payed by WP, if the candidate agrees to serve for 10 years as an officer in the military, upon successful graduation.

Is Dr. Carson's name on the book? Are you saying it was published without his knowledge?

He wasn't accepted.

He wasn't offered a scholarship.

Are you sure you want to go on the ATS record as defending such foolishness?

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

He wasn't accepted...because he didn't apply!
Pay attention!

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Perhaps you should read what you write?

Apparently, you and Dr. Carson are in the same boat.

Are you having a ghostwriter compose your posts?

LOL

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Perhaps you should read what you write?

Apparently, you and Dr. Carson are in the same boat.

Are you having a ghostwriter compose your posts?

LOL

Sigh...
He didn't apply, so how could he accept?
Seriously, are you trying to be dense...or just having a bad day?

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Star and flag, I may have gotten this wrong and jumped on the bandwagon on another thread. Did the Politico reporter just make up the fact that the Carson campaign confirmed it? Strange days.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

You argued that acceptance could be considered a scholarship.

I quoted you.

Dr. Carson wasn't accepted.

Dr. Carson didn't get a scholarship.

Did you or did you not say in the post I linked to you "technically, acceptance is a scholarship, as all classes, room and board are payed by WP, if the candidate agrees to serve for 10 years as an officer in the military."

You are attempting to argue that a ghostwriter was justified in claiming on Dr. Carson's behalf (didn't Dr. Carson read it?) five times in a row that he got a SCHOLARSHIP to West Point.

If you'd like to retract that, go ahead. But if you double-down, folks are going to remember it.

We all make mistakes; it's okay.
edit on 15Fri, 06 Nov 2015 15:08:49 -060015p0320151166 by Gryphon66 because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker
It doesn't matter now, the Liberal Communist got the headline out that they wanted. This is a modern day digital lynching.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
He said he was offered a scholarship, that is in his book.
That isn't true, or if he was the only way he would have been is if he applied...

Sounds like there is twist coming from both sides to me.

West Point doesn't have scholarships, so that is the word being tripped over here.

My guess is that when he met General Westmoreland, there was a conversation and the possibility of him attending West Point was mentioned. It may have been said that he would probably be accepted into the school, and should apply. But no scholarship was offered. And, to make his book (and his campaign) more interesting, he said he was actually offered a "scholarship" to West Point, and decided to stick with that storyline, because it sounded more impressive.

Twists coming from both sides and in the middle, is most likely the truth.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join