It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary New Possibilities for Suicide Bombing of Airliners - Jetman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Emirates Airlines and Jetman Dubai have released a video showing two guys, wearing/using a jet suit, flying in sync with an Airbus A380.

The video itself is beautiful and serene...but I could not keep from wondering - and worrying - about the possibilities that this "Jetman" technology could be used to tail a plane (say, on its landing run), and then either latch on to the plane (with magnets?), or to explode a suicide vest in very close proximity to a plane, to bring it down.

I am not sure what one of these units would cost to buy, but given that ISIS has control of millions/billions of dollars in oil revenues, I doubt cost would be much of a barrier.

Imagine the economic chaos (not to mention the human tragedy) a half-dozen of these jet-borne suicide bombers could wreak, if they attacked in multiple countries over a short time span.

Sorry to present this video within such a context...but I doubt that this possibility will escape the notice of those who seem hell-bent on the mass killing of innocents, as part of their global Jihad effort.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

I think these things are pretty expensive and not easy to come by/master how to use.

A scary concept for sure but one I don't think we need to fear anytime soon.

I'm flying next week so when I see a dude in a turban flying outside my window I'll think of you.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I saw that video this morning and hadn't even thought of that, but we'd have to question the functionality of these jetpacks. Can they fly at several hundred miles an hour?

In that video, the jetliner is probably going slower than usual, and at a lower altitude than a cruising elevation.

Realistically I think a jetpack wouldn't allow them to a) climb high enough, or b) fly fast enough to actually catch up with airliner jets

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Exactly. This video was shot under extremely controlled conditions. They almost certainly launched out of a plane near the A380, which was flying slow, as you said, etc.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I saw that video this morning and hadn't even thought of that, but we'd have to question the functionality of these jetpacks. Can they fly at several hundred miles an hour?

In that video, the jetliner is probably going slower than usual, and at a lower altitude than a cruising elevation.

Realistically I think a jetpack wouldn't allow them to a) climb high enough, or b) fly fast enough to actually catch up with airliner jets

It would not be hard to add a compact tail section and pulley/cable based aileron, rudder and elevator controls. Neat idea though ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Whoa,,,I had no idea these futuristic looking jet packs were a reality.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: itsallmaya

They only have been for a couple of years.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

As alluded to in my original comments, I think that airliners would be most vulnerable - and easily reachable by this kind of technology (altitude and speed wise) - as planes are gliding in for a landing.

1) The landing speed of an A380 is 130-140 knots. The Jetman rig can fly at speeds of up to 170 knots
2) Obviously, given a targeted airliner would be on a low-altitude glide path to landing, altitude is not an issue (they would not try to attack an airliner cruising at 30,000 feet).
3) Airlines fly on published schedules, that can be tracked en route in real time on the Internet. If the bad guys wanted to attack a certain flight, on a certain day, at a certain airport, they would have no trouble launching at exactly the moment they needed to, to intercept the flight.

Maybe this a little too stark a scenario to want to contemplate, but I do not think people should rule this out on the basis of it not being technically feasible...because it appears to me to be theoretically doable.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

And they can buy several MANPADS to do more damage, and hit planes on takeoff, climb, descent, and landing. And it would cost less than these would. MANPADS are a far greater threat than this will ever be.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I saw this earlier today and the same thought crossed my mind...

in this day and age post 9/11 (and recently a russian airliner brought down by isis supossedly), its a bit strange to see such an advert from a major airline!

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

And they can buy several MANPADS to do more damage, and hit planes on takeoff, climb, descent, and landing. And it would cost less than these would. MANPADS are a far greater threat than this will ever be.

Probably quite true.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
OP, you are a comedic genius.

edit on 6-11-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You know, living near a major airport and seeing planes flying so low very often, I have to admit that when I ponder it I'm very pleasantly surprised that "bad guys" don't shoot down planes with regularity.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

You know, living near a major airport and seeing planes flying so low very often, I have to admit that when I ponder it I'm very pleasantly surprised that "bad guys" don't shoot down planes with regularity.

Yes, and especially in some of the more unstable parts of the world, it is very surprising.

An attack of the sort I am conjuring up the possibility of here, would have the additional propaganda value of being able to, say, outfit the suicide bomber with a Go-Pro for live-streaming or YouTube posting.

This is an equally horrifying prospect - but given ISIS's obvious preference for show-boating their horrific executions, and their seemingly trying to invent new methods of murder that will make for "novel" broadcasts, to keep their "audience" engaged (cage drownings, mass beheadings, RPG executions, etc.), I do not think it is much of a stretch to imagine that they might go to the additional time and expense of an attack of this kind for the sick additional "entertainment value" they might think it would have.

Anyway...here's hoping nobody would ever seriously consider trying to pull something like this off - and if they do, that they are found out and derailed long before they can follow through.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale
I am not sure what one of these units would cost to buy, but given that ISIS has control of millions/billions of dollars in oil revenues, I doubt cost would be much of a barrier.

Just the engines alone would run close to $50,000...

I believe they are JetCat P400 turbines.

The same engines used in the Lockheed Martin X-56A testbed BTW...

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale

originally posted by: eluryh22

An attack of the sort I am conjuring up the possibility of here, would have the additional propaganda value of being able to, say, outfit the suicide bomber with a Go-Pro for live-streaming or YouTube posting.

This is an equally horrifying prospect - but given ISIS's obvious preference for show-boating their horrific executions, and their seemingly trying to invent new methods of murder that will make for "novel" broadcasts, to keep their "audience" engaged (cage drownings, mass beheadings, RPG executions, etc.), I do not think it is much of a stretch to imagine that they might go to the additional time and expense of an attack of this kind for the sick additional "entertainment value" they might think it would have.

[sarc]
Well, if it is done by ISIS, they will probably find some way to pipe the go-pro directly into the planes in-flight video and override the movie so the folks inside can see everything unfold. Seems ISIS has quite the team of techies amongst them.
[/sarc]

Now, about getting the jetsuits, I think they will have to wait until some agency buys a new fleet of White Hi-Lux Toyotas and "happens" to leave some jet-packs in a few as they get plundered when the drivers all run away after some fireworks inadvertently explode around them and then ISIS happens to run in with the fastest car-jackers in the East... That is how they will get them, I think.
edit on 6-11-2015 by evc1shop because: spelling

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

It does look like fun!

BTW, guided surface to air missiles are cheaper.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
A few cheap explosive drones that you can buy at a hobby shop are all anybody needs to wreak havoc on commercial airlines.

You didn't hear that from me.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
A few cheap explosive drones that you can buy at a hobby shop are all anybody needs to wreak havoc on commercial airlines.

You didn't hear that from me.

And you wouldn't have to chase down and out speed a jet, just get in its way.

I didn't say that either.

edit on 6/11/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

How would that even be possible? any jetliner is 3 times faster than these strapon jets. the airliners had to fly close to stall speed to make that filmclip possible.
And are you aware how they launch those rocketmen? yes from a helicopter.
Sorry to burst your sensationalisme buble.

new topics

top topics

join