It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are child brides a blind spot for humanity?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Profusion

You have people here giving a pass to Afghanistan men raping young boys. Pedophilia? People get more upset over global warming than adults raping children.

It is not just the Arabs. The West is just as bad, even worse really because we do not have the excuse of poverty or backwards civilization. In the U.K our politicians and society figures do this kind of stuff. How I hate what they do. There is nothing we can do about it because most people are spiritually dead. They are like little zombies who only think about the value of their properties. As long as the house prices keep going up anything goes.

Hope they all rot in hell even if it is just a mythical torture chamber.

It almost makes me want to be religious so I could spiritually send each and every one of those scum to hell.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ErrorErrorError

We are not fighting for Latinos. We should, cause I think they have better morals.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
I've come to the conclusion that there is no difference between the cultural practice of 'marrying' child brides and the practice of ritual abuse. [...] Why are child brides a blind spot for humanity?

It's easy to point at other cultures and proclaim their practices as ignorant and evil. The notion that all human beings are equal and should be given equal rights is only a very recent one, and it is certainly still not a global idea. The practice of child brides just didn't pop out of nowhere as an excuse to be evil to female children. In many parts of the world female children are still worth so little they're not even worth abusing. But they are used and have been used for thousands of years to create social and economic ties between families and tribes, and without them the alternative to peaceful trade could very easily be armed conflict.

You are not the moral arbiter of the world. Try to keep that in mind.

P.S. -- Mary, the mother of Jesus, was a child bride who was probably around 11 years old when she was betrothed to 90-year-old Joseph. For what that's worth.
edit on 6-11-2015 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

It's easy to point at other cultures and proclaim their practices as ignorant and evil.

Indeed it is very easy, and the correct thing to do when those practices are ignorant and backward.

Human rights groups and others, are highly critical of cultural intransigence, especially towards women and girls. We know that across the Muslim world, for example, women and girls are down the food-chain and this is manifest in child marriage and forced marriage and the acceptance of abuse against women.

To say that we in the liberal West cannot have an opinion and should accept this state of affairs is an abdication of intelligence.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
To say that we in the liberal West cannot have an opinion and should accept this state of affairs is an abdication of intelligence.

Way to claim the moral and intellectual high road. Let's bomb them all back to the Stone Age they still live in, right?

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
but, we aren't accepting it!!! what you want us to end it by bombing the little girls to hades and back?

“Girls Not Brides: The Global Partnership to End Child Marriage welcomes this historic UN resolution. The resolution demonstrates the broad international consensus that urgent action is needed to end child marriage, a practice that hold back 15 million girls a year, or about 41,000 a day, denying them fundamental rights and undermining their future. If there is no reduction in child marriage, 1.2 billion girls will marry as children by 2050 – equivalent to the entire population of India.

www.girlsnotbrides.org...

the resolution was passed last year, and was cosponsored by:

The resolution was co-sponsored by:

Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cambodia, Canada, Central African Republic, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, and Zambia.

www.girlsnotbrides.org...

so, please tell me, just how am I supporting the practice of child brides if I support the UN?

and no, I don't support the idea of bombing the poor girls to hades and back based on the made up justification that we need to end it!

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

but, then most of the countries have laws against it, only it doesn't do much good when we overthrow their gov'ts and make the laws so ineffective because there is no one to enforce them....
no, you cannot bomb the little girls, sorry!

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Adults have carnally craved children for time immemorial. Part of it has to do with evolution and innate compulsions - relating to procreation age etc - and part of it has to do with humans' obsession with youth / living longer.

Today, it's largely the "barbarians" (overtly) and elite (covertly) who engage in bacha bazi ("child play"). But, rest assured, the practice is as rife as it ever was and will continue to be while power disparity and secrecy exists.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Because it is a phenomenon which mostly exists in the Muslim world.
Every criticism against Muslims is Islamophobia.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: Blue Shift

It's easy to point at other cultures and proclaim their practices as ignorant and evil.

Indeed it is very easy, and the correct thing to do when those practices are ignorant and backward.

Human rights groups and others, are highly critical of cultural intransigence, especially towards women and girls. We know that across the Muslim world, for example, women and girls are down the food-chain and this is manifest in child marriage and forced marriage and the acceptance of abuse against women.

Intelligence eh? Current Palestine laws for marriage are a minimum of 15 for females and 16 for males. In iran its a minimum age of 18 for females. If you look current marriage laws in US, Massachusetts has minimum of 12 for females, New Hampshire has minimum of 13 and Texas a minimum of 14,

So instead of stating that the liberal west cannot have opinions it be more accurate to describe it as the hypocritical west.
You only need study the the Franklin Cover-up in which victims, not the elite paedophiles, were sent to prison for just mentioning the names of elites in court. Alicia Owen was convicted for 27 years for perjury but was released after 4 1/2 years. She knows if she speaks out she will be shot dead like her brother.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Try to keep to the topic in hand.

If you think it's OK to indulge in child marriage and forced marriage then that's your problem. The OP likens these practices to child abuse, which they are. It is the reason why these practices have been outlawed in all liberal countries for some time.

It's got nothing to do with the removal of dictators and everything to do with societal and cultural acceptance by men. Women and girls do not have a say.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheInhumanCentipede
Adults have carnally craved children for time immemorial.

Speak for yourself.

I don't think that "child play" as you put it is a significant problem where it is socially unacceptable and punishable. Where it does happen, it is not a by "the elites" per se.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Mind your own effin business... Live and let live? Freedom for all? Or your values forced upon the world like Team America World Police. Will you play god then? Do you know better.
Clean up the #e in your own backyard before complaining about your neighbour dodwn the street.

.!.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Aisha was 6 years old.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I came into this thread expecting it to be a joke, not well written, no real point.

I was thinking - what blind spot, I don't have a blind spot, of course I don't support or condone child brides. How could I, who does?

Then I read the OP and you opened my eyes. I never considered it that way before. About the Palestinians, about Turkey, and NATO.

Thank you for writing that out so well.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

In fairness to people in the West, excluding some American States with their child bride laws of course,most of us didn't even know about child-brides.

If you think about it, our societies have had a minimum age for marriage and certainly not for little girls. The whole concept is disgusting and horrifies any decent thinking individual.

Now with multiculturalism a lot of unpleasant or disgusting practices are coming to light which are alien to our cultures. But with all the other pressures put on people today regarding their lives, unless something like this impacts onto either the tv or their lives personally, its not something that people will prioritise on. With Islam trying to march into this country though and especially mohammad's little girl bride its becoming an emotive subject when pressed though. I suspect it is the one thing that most Brits will find utterly disgusting and unacceptable - despite what some British iman whose opinion of this is motivated by his religious ambitions says about it - people will only despise him more for condoning it.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I wonder if our ancient mothers willingly let their baby girls be taken for sex? Or if her instincts were to fight him off.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Because OP, to criticize this would mean criticizing the primary perps, and we are far, far too polite and afraid of being accused of targeting a certain population to do that.

In the meantime, the children will just have to be sacrificed to PC I suppose.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

Yep. We are going to have to rise up as a GLOBAL COMMUNITY and make it clear that ALL NATIONS, RELIGIONS, CULTURESS, and TRADITIONS will immediately recognize child molestation is a CRIME, and they will need to make laws and enforce them at once. If they do not, they will face repercussions from first world nations, which they can hardly afford.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

most of the countries have a legal age to marry though. and as one article puts it:

Which is why, as Ucan Supurge works its way around the country, meeting the human faces of the child brides problem, Ms Dogan has concluded that: "Education is the key to the problem door. It's not enough to change the laws because the laws cannot change the mentality of the people."
www.theguardian.com...

and the op did seem to be rather bias towards the islamic world. but, well, guess what the catholic canon places the ages at? for males it's 16, females it's 14....... so maybe it's more of a cultural and religious ideology, regardless of what religion we are speaking of.

en.wikipedia.org...

Do I support the UN, well, in alot of ways I think the UN does some good in the world...and they do stand against child brides, so I can't understand why the op is saying that supporting the UN in some way supports child brides. do I support the idea of kids getting married at young ages, heck no! to be frank, I am all for lifelong Celibacy..... ya know, in peter's words......it's better not to be married!! but that's just me.

but, the laws are on the books in most countries, and the fact that they can be easily bypassed isn't confined to any one geological area, as many pointed out, even in the US we have young girls being married.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join